Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4th th 5th Changelog
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
mister__joshua
Following on from this thread: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=39841

In this post I will attempt to keep a log of the changes between 4th and 5th edition. It will never be comprehensive, but I'll update it as people add things and the idea will be to have as complete a list of changes as possible, to help transition from 4th to 5th edition (as my group will be doing in a couple of weeks). For now this is very much a What post, and not a Why. Most of these changes will have been highlighted by other people, so thanks in advance!

General Changes
- Every skill + attribute test now has a Limit. Limits are cap on how many hits you get to count on a test. They come in 2 types: Inherent and Gear. Your Inherent are based on your attributes (Physical: (Str*2+Bod+Rea)/3; Mental: (Log*2+Int+Wil)/3; Social: (Cha*2+Wil+Ess)/3), while your Gear are based on equipment used for a test (gun accuracy). When you spend edge on an action, limits are ignored.
- Skills go to 12 (13 with Aptitude), though the old character creation max of 6 is still in place.
- The maximum bonus to an attribute from cyberware/magic is +4 and does not depend on the racial maximum.
- Gear prices went up, especially cyber, on almost everything. Starting Nuyen did not go up at the same rate.
- Used 'ware is a separate quality of gear, so no used deltaware. (this is vague in the book, but is supposed to be in the errata)
- Character creation now uses the Priority System as default in place of the Build Point system.
- You get 25 karma to spend during chargen, and qualities cost/give karma (capped at +25 and -25)
- Contacts may now have connection of up to 12 (capped at 6 during chargen). Contacts are capped at 7 during chargen for loyalty + connection
- Some skills have changed,
Skills removed: Dodge, Climbing, Shadowing, Data Search
Skills added: Performance, Impersonation, Animal Handling, Alchemy, Biotechnology, Disenchanting
Other skill changes: Infiltration is now Sneaking, Parachuting is now Free-Fall; Some skill groups have changes.

Combat Changes
- Initiative now has the form of Base + Xd6 to give an initiative number. Each pass reduces this by 10, until you have none left and are done for the turn. Some interrupt actions use 5 initiative.
- armour ratings are increased (e.g. armoured jacket raised from 8 to 12)
- no difference between ballistic or impact armour anymore
- no armour stacking (at the moment)
- Immunity to normal weapons now adds auto-successes (1/2 rating)
- Damage codes of weapons heavily increased, and AP values have also increased
- Only one attack action per action phase (your other simple action has to be used elsewhere)
- Recoil is cumulative over multiple rounds unless other actions are taken (it's unclear if this works as intended currently)
- You defend against ranged attacks with Reaction + Intuition now (instead of just Reaction).
- For Full Defense you deduct 10 from your Initiative score but can add your Will to All defense tests for the entire Combat turn.
You can also still attack if you have an action left.

Magic Changes
- Direct combat spells only damage according to your net-successes.
- Indirect combat spells are targeted as in SR4, but the elemental effect provides AP equal to Force.
- drain changed from (F/2) +/- something to F +/- something.
- a lot of adept powers are better than before (e.g. critical strike now available for close-combat-weapons (blades, clubs, etc.)
- mentor spirits now also grant benefits to adepts
- mystic adepts donīt have to split their magic attribute anymore, but have to buy the power points extra.
- magical limits can be increased with the use of reagents, which have an affordable cost
-You resist magic spells with two status (so to resist Mana Illusion spells you use Logic + Will. For Physical Illusion spells you resist with Intuition plus Logic)

Matrix Changes
- wireless bonus for a lot of equipment (if you turn wireless on, you get e.g. higher caps, or additional dice)
- Remote decking is harder now due to "Noise".
- Decks are worth a fortune.
- the matrix is not made of nodes anymore, if you're wireless, you can likely be seen in the matrix
- Matrix tests are Skill + Attribute now (making Logic important), with Matrix Attributes (Attack, Sleaze, Data Processing, Firewall) setting the limit. Programs offer new functionality or dice pool bonuses.
--- Only Cyberdecks, Hosts, and Technomancers have Attack and Sleaze attributes.
- A new mechanic called Overwatch Score has been added. OS begins accumulating when you first take an Attack or Sleaze action, and is increased by time and other factors. When it hits 40, the hacker is dumped and traced immediately.
- Jumping in now requires the Control Rig cyberware or the Mind Over Machine echo; the Control Rig has also gained the benefit of increasing vehicle Handling and Speed while jumped in and reducing the thresholds of Vehicle Tests while jumped in.
- Technomancers now have spell-like Complex Forms, but lose the ability to have their living persona be part of a PAN.
- Sprites no longer have optional complex forms
- Machine sprites are no longer able to operate drones
- Hacking now works on the basis of marks. You can place up to 3 marks on a device, and different actions require different numbers of marks. To place a mark, you must either be invited to do so by the owner or do so via a Brute Force or Hack on the Fly action (Attack and Sleaze actions, respectively, which means that your Overwatch score starts).

**Please note most of this information didn't come from me. Please inform me of/correct any errors and add any more changes you feel should go in. Thanks**
Chrome Head
This is great thank you. Let me contribute with a few things that come to mind.

Changes:
- I would write instead: when you spend edge on an action, limits are ignored
- in magic the line about indirect damage should be more descriptive and less comparative, I'd also write something more easy to understand such as: provides AP equal to Force

Add:
- Contacts may now have connection of up to 12 (capped at 6 during chargen). Contacts are capped at 7 during chargen for loyalty+connection
- in combat, I'd personally add a comment such as: in general, initiative enhancements therefore have a lesser impact than in SR4
- immunity to X is affected by armor penetration
- armor penetration is now more common
- You get 25 karma to spend during chargen, and qualities cost/give karma (capped at +25 and -25)
- magical limits can be increased with a thing called reagent, which has an affordable cost
- matrix changes: the matrix is not made of nodes anymore, if you're wireless, you can likely be seen in the matrix
RHat
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Oct 10 2013, 10:56 AM) *
- immunity to X is affected by armor penetration
- armor penetration is now more common

That first one is not a change, Immunity functioned as Hardened Armour in SR4 and thus was subject to AP. As to the second, it's more accurate to say that existing AP values have increased, and that players are likely to be throwing higher AP values early game due to APDS being chargen-legal now. Under Matrix Changes I would add:

- Matrix tests are Skill+Attribute now, with Matrix Attributes (Attack, Sleaze, Data Processing, Firewall) setting the limit. Programs offer new functionality or dice pool bonuses.
--- Only Cyberdecks, Hosts, and Technomancers have Attack and Sleaze attributes.
- A new mechanic called Overwatch Score has been added. OS begins accumulating when you first take an Attack or Sleaze action, and is increased by time and other factors. When it hits 40, the hacker is dumped and traced immediately.
- Jumping in now requires the Control Rig cyberware or the Mind Over Machine echo; the Control Rig has also gained the benefit of increasing vehicle Handling and Speed while jumped in and reducing the thresholds of Vehicle Tests while jumped in.
- Technomancers now have spell-like Complex Forms, but lose the ability to have their living persona be part of a PAN.
- Sprites no longer have optional complex forms
- Machine sprites are no longer able to operate drones
- Hacking now works on the basis of marks. You can place up to 3 marks on a device, and different actions require different numbers of marks. To place a mark, you must either be invited to do so by the owner or do so via a Brute Force or Hack on the Fly action (Attack and Sleaze actions, respectively, which means that your Overwatch score starts).
mister__joshua
Updated

Maybe it'd be worthwhile pinning this for a few weeks, if people would find it useful?

Also if a Mod could edit the title to '4th to 5th Changelog' that'd be appreciated as my typo is annoying me biggrin.gif
Sengir
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Oct 7 2013, 09:18 AM) *
- magical limits can be increased with the use of reagents, which have an affordable cost

Plus a crapton of other alchemy, with magical health potions and everything.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012