Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adept Power: Attribute Boost
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Black Mamba
I'm just wanting to understand the logic behind the limitation that's been placed on this adept power. I'm very much hoping that a developer, or two, will weigh-in. I realize that players can come up with numerous ways to abuse a specific ability or rule but it seems strange to me that this particular ability doesn't ignore the Physical Limit, or at the very least temporarily modify the Limit for the duration of the effect.

When I think of the power, I imagine those rare instances where a 90-pound woman has lifted a car off of a loved-one. The individual who accomplishes such a feat has most certainly exceeded the limits of their physical potential and accomplished the miraculous.

Here's description of the power found on page 309 of the core book:

You call upon inner strength to perform amazing physical feats beyond their normal abilities. Attribute Boost must be purchased for a specific Physical Attribute (Agility, Body, Reaction, or Strength); separate Attribute Boost powers may be bought for different attributes. This power cannot be purchased for a Mental or Special Attribute.

When you activate this power, make a Magic + Attribute Boost Rating Test. Each hit on this test boosts your attribute rating by 1, up to your augmented Attribute maximum. This only affects your dice pools; your Physical limit and Initiative ratings don’t change with Attribute Boost. The boost lasts for a number of Combat Turns equal to twice the number of hits you get. When the boost runs out, you take Drain equal to the level of this power.
Critias
The design decision was made to cut down on supplementary bookkeeping, so that folks wouldn't be changing their Limit multiple times a scene (having their standard Limit, having to recalculate it amongst all the other dice rolls to activate the power, etc, etc). It was a simplification/streamlining thing, just hoping to keep things moving a little faster.

I, for one, would have absolutely no problem houseruling it to let it affect someone's Limit, Initiative, etc, personally.
Slithery D
QUOTE (Black Mamba @ Oct 10 2013, 11:05 AM) *
When I think of the power, I imagine those rare instances where a 90-pound woman has lifted a car off of a loved-one. The individual who accomplishes such a feat has most certainly exceeded the limits of their physical potential and accomplished the miraculous.

Nope, that's spending Edge to get exploding sixes and ignore the Limit.
Black Mamba
Thanks, Critias. That makes perfect sense. smile.gif
Epicedion
QUOTE (Critias @ Oct 10 2013, 11:19 AM) *
The design decision was made to cut down on supplementary bookkeeping, so that folks wouldn't be changing their Limit multiple times a scene (having their standard Limit, having to recalculate it amongst all the other dice rolls to activate the power, etc, etc). It was a simplification/streamlining thing, just hoping to keep things moving a little faster.

I, for one, would have absolutely no problem houseruling it to let it affect someone's Limit, Initiative, etc, personally.

A simpler house-rule would be to increase the limit by a flat +1 per 3 hits. Probably not as effective as a full recalculation, but better than nothing, and easier to run with -- especially if you use multiple Attribute Boosts.
DMiller
All of our character sheets are software-driven (Excel spreadsheets). They automagically recalculate everything for you. The power as written is VERY hard to add into the sheet. If any of our Adepts take this power, I'll probably discuss with the GM to allow the boost to modify limits and initiative as appropriate (just for my own sanity). smile.gif
Giabralter
Exactly what critias said, then you have limit improvement power and edge to do the rest.
Lobo0705
If you are going to allow it to affect limits then you should also revisit the drain and/or PP cost
Jaid
QUOTE (Slithery D @ Oct 10 2013, 12:12 PM) *
Nope, that's spending Edge to get exploding sixes and ignore the Limit.

well, mostly. lifting a heavy object is generally not a skill test, it's an attribute test (body + strength). it presumably still involves spending edge and quite likely exploding sixes to lift a car, but no limit is ignored because by default, tests of 2 attributes (without a skill or other factor that introduces limits) have no limit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012