Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4th Ed. Sustaining focus question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sunday_Gamer
I seem to recall reading this once but I cannot find any reference to it at this time.

If a sustaining focus is active and sustaining a spell and the mage deactivates the focus. Will the spell still be there when he reactivates the focus?

Thanks in advance, been a few years and I foolishly decide now was the time for another SR campaign... brushing up on a few things.
RHat
Not unless he chose to sustain it himself for the time being...
BishopMcQ
Sunday_Gamer--Nope, if the focus is deactivated the spell is lost. Once the focus is reactivated, a spell of the appropriate type can be cast again.

RHat--I don't see anything that allows a character to transfer the spell out of the focus to their own concentration. When the spell is cast, it is cast through the focus and the focus holds it.
RHat
Hm, so it seems - and you can't sustain it yourself and transfer it later. Would handle it differently in anything I'm running (find this simply too inflexible), but there it is I suppose.
Shemhazai
QUOTE (RHat @ Oct 23 2013, 08:08 PM) *
Hm, so it seems - and you can't sustain it yourself and transfer it later. Would handle it differently in anything I'm running (find this simply too inflexible), but there it is I suppose.

It's there to stop magicians from abusing spell sustaining. Lots of things make sustaining spells long term infeasible.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012