Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR5 Two-Fisted Drones
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
yesferatu
So I just started a 5th ed. rigger and I'm building my drones.
I was about to buy programs, which is problematic - but manageable, and I got to thinking about Autosofts and Weapon Mounts.
I understand why a human can only reliably fire one weapon at a time or get one complex action an IP, but what about drones?
Can a drone with 2 weapon mounts and an appropriate targeting autosoft fire them both each simple action?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (yesferatu @ Oct 29 2013, 02:05 PM) *
So I just started a 5th ed. rigger and I'm building my drones.
I was about to buy programs, which is problematic - but manageable, and I got to thinking about Autosofts and Weapon Mounts.
I understand why a human can only reliably fire one weapon at a time or get one complex action an IP, but what about drones?
Can a drone with 2 weapon mounts fire them both each simple action?

You would think that linked firing would be an option, but sadly, I do not think that it is. frown.gif
Can an Agent fire a Weapon, though? If so, then just load up the weapon's fire control systems with Agents and let them loose.
Dolanar
honestly I would treat this as any other player firing 2 weapons, simple action to fire both, split the dicepool
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Dolanar @ Oct 29 2013, 03:31 PM) *
honestly I would treat this as any other player firing 2 weapons, simple action to fire both, split the dicepool

That works too... smile.gif
But Linked Weapons should not care, as a Drone SHOULD be capable of multiple weapons firing with a single "Pull of the Trigger" rather than trying to fire them independently at the same target.
Dolanar
But until some sort of software that allows that to happen comes out (likely in the Rigger book, if at all) my method works within the given rules. Theoretically, you could link 2 normal pistols to fire if either trigger is pressed too...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Dolanar @ Oct 29 2013, 03:44 PM) *
But until some sort of software that allows that to happen comes out (likely in the Rigger book, if at all) my method works within the given rules. Theoretically, you could link 2 normal pistols to fire if either trigger is pressed too...

But the human brain is, for the most part, incapable of sighting two pistols simultaneously... smile.gif
yesferatu
Each weapon mount doesn't need its own targeting program.
Presumably, if your lynx had 2 mounted Alphas, they'd both use the same targeting program.
I don't see why both guns couldn't use it at the same time. Drones don't have the same attention issues you'd expect from a metahuman.
Dolanar
if the rigging on a linked pistol is done correctly, you wouldn't need to sight them independently, also...this is where I could see wireless bonuses actually coming in. Wirelessly enable 2 pistols, linking their smartgun systems together, they both aim at the same target & fire together, THAT would be a useful Wireless bonus.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (yesferatu @ Oct 29 2013, 03:53 PM) *
Each weapon mount doesn't need its own targeting program.
Presumably, if your lynx had 2 mounted Alphas, they'd both use the same targeting program.
I don't see why both guns couldn't use it at the same time. Drones don't have the same attention issues you'd expect from a metahuman.

I agree... smile.gif
Erik Baird
QUOTE (Dolanar @ Oct 29 2013, 02:56 PM) *
if the rigging on a linked pistol is done correctly, you wouldn't need to sight them independently, also...this is where I could see wireless bonuses actually coming in. Wirelessly enable 2 pistols, linking their smartgun systems together, they both aim at the same target & fire together, THAT would be a useful Wireless bonus.

Why would you need wireless to do that? The pistols are already connected through the drone, and it's the drone's dog brain deciding where to aim and when to fire.
Lantzer
QUOTE (Erik Baird @ Oct 29 2013, 11:32 PM) *
Why would you need wireless to do that? The pistols are already connected through the drone, and it's the drone's dog brain deciding where to aim and when to fire.

It wouldn't need to be wirelessly connected.

Now, I wouldn't treat linked weapons as two seperate shots either. If they are going off with the same attack roll, they should be treated as semiautomatic or burst fire - One attack roll, multiple bullets.
Dolanar
@Erik: I was referring to linklocked weapons being used by humans, not drones.
Erik Baird
QUOTE (Dolanar @ Oct 29 2013, 06:00 PM) *
@Erik: I was referring to linklocked weapons being used by humans, not drones.

Ah, okay. Although I still don't see how a wireless link would help for that. For a character, the aiming would come down to good motor control, while firing simultaneously via smartlink would be no problem.
Dolanar
the way I see it working is basically, the Player taking aim with the first pistol, locking onto a target, sending the signal to the second pistol's smartgun system, allowing it to move slightly to get the aim just right from it's position & sending the Fire signal from one to the other firing simultaneously.
Umidori
Smartgun systems don't move the guns though. All they do is project the firing angles into your field of view. You still have to manually point the barrel, the smartgun system can't do that for you.

Of course, on a drone this isn't a problem. You tell a drone to point the gun at a certian coordinate within it's field of motion, it does so, first time, every time.

~Umi
Jaid
for drones, you just have the mounted weapon equipped with the underbarrel accessory "smart firing platform" (which locks you out of the gyro stabilizer, but you can't have everything).

there you go, autonomous turrets with their own dedicated processor that lets them fire on targets you designate. it's a bit of a kludge, but it works.

(not quite the same as having twin-linked weapons, i admit, but still a useful option).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012