Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shock Gloves in SR5
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Black Mamba
I've heard a little scuttlebutt from a friend that the damage from using a shock glove is now an either or situation, which I think is ridiculous.

To make a setting tangible, I believe that you need to adhere to real world principles as much as possible. Players need to know that the laws of physics are consistently applied so they can safely navigate the world. In my games, realism takes precedence over mechanics.

The thought that striking an opponent while wearing a shock glove is going to do either shock damage or impact damage, but not both, is absurd. I realize that the item may appear a little OP, but in the grand scheme of things (and all the other things that can kill you in SR), the effects of a shock glove are quite insignificant.

The following variants are based on the concept that the defender must contend with both types of damage; impact, then electrical. The effects of the electrical damage use the rules presented on page 171 of SR5.

Stealth
Resembles a typical pair of formal gloves and is available in a multitude of colors and styles for both men and women. They are made out of a non-conductive plas-fabric that has conduction points concealed in the palm and underside of the fingertips. This product is designed for direct contact with the targets flesh and therefore has limited transference capacity. The item also requires DNI or a wireless signal to open the circuit.
• Cost: 750 ¥
• Damage: 12S
• AP: -3
• Concealability: -6
• Charges: 1 per glove; recharge requires 30-minutes
• Requirements: Called Shot; DNI or Wireless connection; Touch-only Attack

Knuckleduster
Resembles a pair of fingerless, black synth-leather gloves with metal accents at the base of each finger, one at each of the four metacarpophalangeal joints. The accents serve as conduction points for the electrical discharge and require a minimum of 300 kg of impact force to complete the circuit. This design is intended to bypass lighter armor by compression at the point of impact.
• Cost: 600 ¥
• Damage: 8S
• AP: -6
• Concealability: -2
• Charges: 4 per glove; recharge requires 15-minutes per charge
• Requirements: Minimum Strength of 3
• Limitation: Each glove can only be used once per turn as the capacitors recharge.

Standard
Resembles a pair of simple black work gloves made of a dull plas-fabric and interwoven with a mesh of silver threads. The contact area covers the dorsal side of the hand as well as the sides, allowing for multiple strike configurations (backhand, knife hand, ridge hand, etc…), but provides no armor penetration.
• Cost: 450 ¥
• Damage: 6S
• AP: 0
• Concealability: 0
• Charges: 5 per glove; recharge requires 10-minutes per charge
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Black Mamba @ Nov 7 2013, 11:38 AM) *
I've heard a little scuttlebutt from a friend that the damage from using a shock glove is now an either or situation, which I think is ridiculous.

Worked that way in SR4A as well... Nothing new here.
And yes, it is Ridiculous, but it is a balance issue, not a reality issue. Much the same as being beaned by a thrown grenade (Physical Adept Throwing Master anyone?) and then also having it blow up immediately afterwards.
Black Mamba
Lovely analogy, TJ. Thank you for the laugh. biggrin.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 7 2013, 02:05 PM) *
Worked that way in SR4A as well... Nothing new here.
And yes, it is Ridiculous, but it is a balance issue, not a reality issue. Much the same as being beaned by a thrown grenade (Physical Adept Throwing Master anyone?) and then also having it blow up immediately afterwards.

I had a (fellow) player who actually built that character.
tjn
Away from book, but iirc, you get +2 dice when making a touch attack on top of replacing the damage with 9s(e) -5 AP. Shock gloves are kinda OP, especially if the character is primarily a gun user in combat and has a low Strength.

That said, if you wanted to hit for normal damage while tasering, don't apply any extra damage or replace the damage code and simply add in the electrical secondary effects on top of normal combat damage.
DeathStrobe
Just like touch spells, you're not trying to bludgeon the person. You're trying to touch them and keep in contact long enough for the shock gloves or touch spell to do their thing. They require a bit more skin contact for a longer period of time then a punch to the face. Seems logical enough to me, and it has always worked this way. So, I don't see a problem.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Black Mamba @ Nov 7 2013, 12:16 PM) *
Lovely analogy, TJ. Thank you for the laugh. biggrin.gif

smile.gif My Pleasure...
Novocrane
Harder Knock. Assassin's Primer has a positive quality that, together with touch attack bonus, leaves you doing physical with your standard dice pool.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Novocrane @ Nov 8 2013, 05:57 AM) *
Harder Knock. Assassin's Primer has a positive quality that, together with touch attack bonus, leaves you doing physical with your standard dice pool.

Good for simulating a Dim-Mak (Trope, don't you know) attack, maybe. If you could add a delay to the damaging effect. Would have to look at that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012