Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR5 - Stun Condition Monitor Full?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
AccessControl
So I've been running sessions with my group to finally knuckle down and learn Shadowrun, and we've been using SR5. We got to a point where our Mage had cast himself into a full Stun monitor via Drain, at which point I realized something:

I can't find anything that describes the effect of actually having the Stun monitor full.

I was under the impression (from somewhere, not sure if it was SR4A or what) that when your Stun monitor was full you fell unconscious. However, skimming through the book the only thing I can find is that once your Stun monitor is full, then every 2 boxes of Stun you would take after that translate to one box of Physical.

Was I under the wrong impression? Is this another thing that was overlooked in SR5? It makes sense to me to have unconsciousness as a result of a full Stun monitor, but I don't want to start houseruling stuff like that in when the rules are still so new and we're all still learning how it's *supposed* to work.
Umidori
In 4E, you definitely fall unconscious. They may have forgotten to carry over that specific line in 5E - many small little omissions and errors like that were indeed introduced. Let me check my books real quick, get the 4E citation and try to find an equivalent in 5E.

~Umi
Umidori
QUOTE ("SR4A @ p. 163)
UNCONSCIOUSNESS

When all of the available boxes in a track (Physical or Stun) are filled in, the character immediately falls unconscious and drops to the ground. If the Stun track is filled in, the character is merely knocked out. If the Physical track is filled in, however, the character is near death and will die unless stabilized (see Healing, p. 252).

I can't find any directly corresponding section in the 5E rules. I found a lot of references to the mechanic (like Adrenaline pump preventing you from passing out, that sort of thing) but no actual equivalent rule explaining that you do, in fact, pass out when your Stun Condition Monitor is filled.

Edit!

I found it. For some reason it's in the Creating A Shadowrunner chapter, under Step Eight: Final Calculations.

QUOTE ("SR5 @ p. 100)
Every character has a Condition Monitor that tells the player how much Physical and Stun damage they can take before falling unconscious. The formulae for these are found in the Final Calculations table. For more information on using the Condition Monitor, see Damage, p. 169.

Why they didn't put it in the Damage section, or the section regarding Condition Monitors and Overflow, I have no clue.

~Umi
forgarn
Page 12 of the Quick-start rules has this listed.

QUOTE (Quick Start Rules, pg.12)
When all of the available boxes in a track (Physical or Stun) are filled in, the character immediately falls unconscious and drops to the ground. If the Stun track is filled in, the character is merely knocked out. If the Physical track is filled in, however, the character is near death and will die unless stabilized.

It should be in the regular book but it is not.
AccessControl
Gah. Ok, I can't even fault myself for not seeing it, because that's...not an intuitive place to find that.

Thanks, all.
shonen_mask

Is there no mention of a roll to check for a stun condition?

Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (shonen_mask @ Nov 11 2013, 02:48 PM) *

Huh???
DMK
If you look on pg. 100, the paragraph on Condition Monitors mention that they show how much physical and stun damage a character can take before falling unconscious. Not as clear as it should be, but the RAI is obvious that if you run out of either, you're knocked out. (Of course, with physical you're probably also dying. biggrin.gif )

ETA: Grrr. I was sure I'd refreshed the page before replying. Move along, nothing (new) to see here...
shonen_mask
QUOTE (DMK @ Nov 11 2013, 05:54 PM) *
If you look on pg. 100, the paragraph on Condition Monitors mention that they show how much physical and stun damage a character can take before falling unconscious. Not as clear as it should be, but the RAI is obvious that if you run out of either, you're knocked out. (Of course, with physical you're probably also dying. biggrin.gif )

ETA: Grrr. I was sure I'd refreshed the page before replying. Move along, nothing (new) to see here...

I looked for a reference and I could'nt find anything on knockout conditions....

I'm pretty sure I've come across the term before.
JesterZero
QUOTE (shonen_mask @ Nov 11 2013, 01:48 PM) *

Traditionally, that has been a soak roll of some sort. biggrin.gif
xsansara
I already put that into the errata weeks ago. It is such a weird oversight.

They did fix it in the German version. Under Combat -> Damage -> Wound Modifiers it is now stated that "...A character will fall unconcious, if the Stun Monitor is completely filled. He will also fall unconcious when the Physical Track is filled, and he should receive medical care as soon as possible. " (<- my own bad translation). Both sentences have no equivalent in the original, although the rest of the text is a direct translation, so I would assume it is an actual errata.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012