Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tribes [2075: Game World]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
adamu
[1400, August 4th, 2075; Crime Mall, Puyallup]

As Frizzen and his companions watched their quarry duck out of sight off to their right, Boone and Monkey, unaware of each other, watched her duck into what had once, in better times, been a service corridor. Now, since there were no services in this place, it could lead to just about anything…

Tommy also lost sight of the woman, but still could see the spirit following in her wake.
Tyro

Not wanting to tip off his quarry, Monkey shoots Maus an update.

<@Maus [Monkey]: Quarry ducked into service tunnel at [coordinate link]. How bad do you want this chick? No way to track unnoticed. I can attempt to disable but there's a chance things could get lethal. I don't specialize in subdual.>
justkelly
[Tommy Andrews (Hothead), August 4th, 2075; Crime Mall, Puyallup]

So, a spirit is following someone...hmm, wait where did she go?...Okay, I still see the spirit, let's just follow him and see where he goes...

Walking, running, sliding through people as needed, Tommy doesn't want to lose sight of the spirit.

Sighing, this is one time he wishes he had more magic in him...Too bad I don't have some of Tina's skills...It would be so easy to follow if I could go astral myself...Wait...I've never it used it that way before, but next time I think I see the spirit's "quarry" I'll cast clairvoyance to follow her as well...Hmmm, I'm not a dumb as Tina and Travis think...
Drace

[Early Afternoon August 4th 2075; Crime mall, Puyallup]

"Fragging Slitch!

The woman was starting to get away, and while he was in good shape she had a great head start on him.

Lowering his head he started to barrel his way through, looking for the path of least obstacles. If it came down to doing pro-bono work to smooth ruffled feathers or havin' fam die, the choice was simple.
Tyro

Figuring that anyone entering the service tunnel would most likely be after the girl and possibly an ally, Monkey charges after the steampunk Ork fast enough that the doors don't have time to close. He lunges to tap the ork on the shoulder, ready to dodge if attacked, intending to identify himself as associated with Maus and ascertain whether this is an ally or a rival and hoping he's fast enough to catch him.
Tyro
[Edit:] Please delete.
adamu
[1401, August 4th, 2075; Crime Mall, Puyallup]

Following doggedly after the spirit through the crowd, hoping to catch sight of the woman long enough to put his spell-tag on her, Tommy watched the water-being slip into a service corridor. He did not notice Boone, who was considering whether he wanted to take the plunge after the woman he was tracking.

The bulky Hispanic ork vat job wasted no time thinking about it, barreling through the crowd and throwing the doors wide. Trailing a ways behind him, Darbis and Maus watched as Monkey darted from nowhere and put a hand on the ork's shoulder.

Frizzen instinctively spun about, fist crashing through space where the street runner's head had just been. Before he could swing again, Maus called out - "It's okay, I asked him to help catch her." And that was when Boone knew the score. The small blonde girl continued - "Don't worry, my spirit is right on her tail, and they aren't far off." And with that, Tommy knew who was who as well.
Umidori
[Approx. 1400, August 4th, 2075; Crime Mall, Puyallup]

Sure of the direction his target disappeared, Boone took a couple moments to clean himself up as much as possible while still discreetly watching the crowd. Then a few odd things happened.

A heavy-set ork with a mohawk and what appeared to be murder - or at least a very unpleasant form of chiropracty - on his mind emerged from the crowd clearly intent on following Boone's mystery woman. An athletic young human with prominent cyberarms darted after the ork and nearly received a discount facial massage for his trouble. A tiny waif of a woman made the peace between them and suddenly certain things made sense.

"Drek, they've already rounded up some muscle! Gonna have to make a move if I want a slice of this pie." With a grunt, Boone contorted his typically smirk-chiseled face into something resembling a look of consternation and outrage and stepped up to the plate. He trotted right up to the motley group or strangers, bullshit springing forth unbidden from some dark and clever corner of his mind.

"Hey! Hey! Oi! You folks see where that black-jacketed thug of a woman went? The drekhead picked my pocket! Knocked me flat on the ground, spilled my drink everywhere, and stupid ass that I am I went to clean myself up and didn't realize she'd nabbed my credstick till just now!"

He made one hell of an effort at looking pissed off; his scruffy moustache bristling in anger; his hat "accidentally" knocked off kilter; his brows beetling specatacularly; and his short stature emphasized strikingly by his upturned, exasperated glare. He only hoped they were buying it. They seemed to be, but he could never be quite certain...

~Umi
Aria
[August 4th, 2075; Crime Mall Matrix, Emerald City Grid, Puyallup]

<@Frizzen [Briar]: I've located Steamer's 'link in a bathroom near where he was taken. I’m attaching an annotated schematic [File Attachment] of the mall in case you can plot a route they might have taken. They've obviously stripped his ‘link off him judging by the camera angle I'm getting so I don't think I'm going to be much more help tracking him directly. Hunting for RFIDs in the mall will be nigh on impossible, even if I did have a profile to match. I’ve burned his ‘link in case there was anything sensitive on it but it might still be worth retrieving it and see if there’s any other evidence that might offer some hints.

I can try randomly diving people’s ‘links around the mall to see if anyone has any vid footage and I’ve got a search running on the off chance anyone uploads anything to a networking site both those are both serious long shots so unless you’ve got more intel I can use I think I’ll need to get someone to run me down to the mall, which could take a while. Working at this distance though is like wading through Hell’s Kitchen in an ash storm.>
adamu

Looking around him, Frizzen was amazed at the way people were coming out of the woodwork and offering their help. But with Steamer's life on the line, he decided to say yes and ask questions later. Within a few seconds he had enlisted them all in the hunt for the woman in black leather, all deals to be finalized later.

Then there was Briar saying their friend's commlink was in a bathroom one level up. Split the group? Hell, he didn't know or trust a single one of them besides Kettle, and she wasn't leaving his sight. And if they moved now, they could get the woman - she knew something!

He stormed through the doors into the old service hallway and entered another world. If the Puyallup Barrens were the cesspit at the feet of the glorious city of Seattle, then the Crime Mall was a festering corpse at the bottom of the pit. And anyone who thought that was as low as you could go had never been into the Crime Mall's old service areas.

It was dark here, with a tangible sense of threat that made the ordered anarchy of the Mall proper seem like a triple-A zone. This was where things happened that offended the depraved. Torture and worse were traded like candy for cred. Agonizing screams punctuated the general hush, muted lights made no more than tentative forays out from under shut and unmarked doors.

Frizzen strode ahead in the lead. Maus, running to keep up, whispered up at him - "She's close, not moving, just fifty meters ahead…"
justkelly

She must have done something to really bad to get all these people to follow her. People just wanting to talk wouldn't have this kind of crowd.

Thinking to himself, Tommy tries to "count" how many people are involved...and who's in charge...1st there is the spirit, and the little girl who is talking to the spirit. And she's now with the ork and other girl. And another guy or two...Well the ork looks most intent...

Getting closer to the ork...anything I can do to help?
Tyro
QUOTE (Umidori @ May 15 2014, 11:46 AM) *
[...]"Hey! Hey! Oi! You folks see where that black-jacketed thug of a woman went? The drekhead picked my pocket! Knocked me flat on the ground, spilled my drink everywhere, and stupid ass that I am I went to clean myself up and didn't realize she'd nabbed my credstick till just now!"
[Approx. 1400, August 4th, 2075; Crime Mall, Puyallup]
Monkey takes the ork at his word and dispenses some friendly advice: "This chica's in it deep, chummer. Best you stay out of it - no sweat off me, but some pretty connected people want her pretty badly. I were you, I'd head back. She'll get hers."
Vegas

Maus was growing more aware of the growing crowd following or actively chasing after the woman in back. She slowed her pursuit as they entered the dark and dangerous back rooms and hallways of the Crime Mall. She took the opportunity of the pause in the woman's progress away from the group to cast self-protection in case something went horribly sideways while they were back here.

"Great Slayer of day and night, Protect me with all your might”

She had nothing but confidence that her Water Spirit would keep pace with the woman and not lose sight of her so she let Frizzen close some of the distance to the woman without her. The groans of pain and screams of torture leaked out along with the dim lights from beneath the closed doors that lined the wide hallway the motley crew traipsed through.

She felt the hairs in the back of her neck stand up on end and she took it as the sign she needed to heighten her senses to the dangers around her. She called to the other world, to her mentor asking for help to keep her safe as she upheld the promise she made to Frizzen to find the woman.

"Second Sight, Second Sight Come to me now, By this light. Make my psychic mind be open, As this charm is now spoken."

With her next step, her vision blurred for an instant as she weaved amidst the group as if she was suddenly slightly tipsy. She cursed beneath her breath as she realized she was trying to push herself too fast and too hard.
justkelly

Watching the crowd, Tommy decides to catch up with the girl who has the spirit. She may want some of his help...

Hey, wait, can I help? I know you've got that spirit following the woman.
justkelly

Losing sight of the spirit, Tommy doesn't wait for a response; he races off to keep it in sight.

adamu

Rushing down the corridor after the spirit, the boy tripped and nearly fell a couple of times. His astral sight was great for dealing with the fetid darkness of the place - the forms of passed out derelicts lit it up well and were easy to avoid, even the young girl's corpse he came across had left a sad bit of something behind to light the way - but bits of refuse and debris were practically invisible to him, and had he been less young and sure-footed he'd surely have taken a tumble.

He also had to struggle to keep his very spirits up, and resist the urge to just give up on following the spirit and retreat from his magical perception of this befouled place - there was so much that offended the universe here, it was like swimming through a miasma of malevolent muck.

But soldiering through, he careened after the spirit around a corner and into a slightly open space where several passages met. There were a few other people around, and two stalls, the interiors of both heavily curtained off.

And in the small space between those stalls, pressed back against those stalls, was the woman they sought. Tommy was sure she'd have been impossible to see physically, tucked back there, and he might have even missed the spillage of her aura, were the spirit not there - totally unbeknownst to her - floating above her. There was something distinct about her aura - he'd seen it many times before studying passersby - the aura within an aura that let him know she was pregnant.

But she saw him looking at her and the jig was up. She raised her hand, and there was something in it. Couldn't say precisely what in the astral, but the way she was pointing it at him...
adamu

As the disparate group of near-total-strangers-cum-hastily-negotiated-allies watched the youngest of their number tear off ahead, they all started to pick up their pace. It was only a short distance before the two dwarfs were at the back of the uncoordinated group, and neither failed to notice that someone else had now entered the service passage to their rear.

Of course it was a public corridor (the ironies of the Crime Mall never ceased), but one always took note when two trolls with heavy weapons appeared a couple dozen meters to one's rear in a dark, confined space. And Boone recognized them as the two Night Prowlers he'd spotted earlier. They'd dispensed with their ice cream cones, and one was speaking softly into a commlink.
Always Overkill
Darbis "Patch" Hummels

Feeling the titanic forms enter the corridor behind them, Darbis turned to the other dwarf, Boone, and asked, "Are these friends of yours?" as he dropped his goggles down in front of his eyes, activating low-light vision. Seeing the Troll's were armed and on their commlink, Darbis pulled the Enfield AS-7 shotgun from off his shoulder and brought it level with their brutish forms, waiting for them to make a hostile move.
adamu

The instant the dwarf leveled his weapon in their direction, both trolls immediately brought their machine guns to bear, the one's commlink clattering forgotten to the floor.

The passage was barely wide enough for them both. It was hard, because they were both shouting as fast and as loudly as they could at precisely the same time, but Darbis made out what they said:

"WHATTHEFUCKYOULITTLEHALFERSHIT???DROPITDROPITDROPIT!!"

And, with equal poetry:

"LOSETHEDAMNWEAPONORIWILLMISTYOURASSREDYOUFUCKINGPUKE!!!"

Laser dots danced erratically in the vicinity of Darbis and his companions.
Tyro
Swayed by the honeyed, articulate words of the trolls, Monkey ducks behind the nearest cover, ready to rabbit if things get too hairy.
justkelly

Seeing something in her hand, Tommy hastily says, Wait, I want to help.
Always Overkill
Darbis "Patch" Hummels

His cybernetically enhanced reflexes kicking in, Darbis locked on the first Troll with his Smartlink and adopted an aggressive posture, shouting back in response, "You must be a couple of real backbirths if you think I am putting this boomstick on the ground. Its loaded with flesh-tearing fletchette rounds that'll pin what's left of those open wounds that you call faces to the walls behind you. With a thought I can have a burst of over 100 coming atchya before yer claws can even find the triggers."
adamu

Hearing the youth's offer to help, the woman pauses for the barest of moments…then aims and fires.

And like a match to the tinder, the shot is followed a millisecond later by the deafening roar of a roar breaking out around the corner.

No one else in the little group could tell, but Darbis knew the trolls fired first. He was so fast though that he was able to let loose on them before they could compensate for the climb on their machine guns. Laying down one burst after another, the big metas had literally nowhere to go - all they could do was stand and take the assault.

And take it they did, with barely a flinch, as they delivered dozens of heavy rounds into the cluster of would-be rescuers. Boone had seen it coming and ducked through a nearby doorway. Frizzen was just raising his weapon when a vicious burst threw him to the ground. Darbis marked the first three impacts on his chest and then lost count...
justkelly

Hey!! What are you doing?? Tommy screams, as he dives out of the way to avoid whatever could possibly be coming his way. He's now recalling how ruthless a mother can be to protect her children.

Glancing around from his new, awkwardly defensive spot, Tommy spies the spirit moving away from him.

Shit!!!....What is going on around here?...Let someone know they want to help and they try and kill you...Well, if she really needs help and he just has to show her he is not a threat...Better go after her and keep trying...
Vegas
[Maus - 1401, August 4th, 2075; Crime Mall, Puyallup]

The moment the bullets started their staccato rhythm and headed down the tight hallway, Maus hit the floor in a effort of self-preservation. As she landed in something unidentifiable, slimy and foul smelling, her level of calm shattered and the claws came out. Gone was the unassuming and innocent little blonde girl. as her shamanic mask slipped into place, her flowery language of previous castings was discarded and a mix of cityspeak mixed with a a few choice and extremely crude insults towards the trolls (and their mothers) spilled from her lips with extreme prejudice.

A brilliant stream of electric energy crackled in shades of red and gold as it arced towards the Troll who was a step in front of the other, making a connection just above the collar of his jacket. She watched him stagger back just slightly, lifting the barrel of his gun ever so slightly and sending the trajectory of his bullets towards the ceiling more than towards the group. For that Maus was grateful, but the Troll was still standing and that was far from good news.

She had just painted a screaming neon target on herself.

Maus narrowed her eyes as she tasted the thick, warm coppery flavor of her own blood as it trickled down the back of her throat and the after-effects of the mana screamed through her head. The sensation steeled her concentration as she focused on the Trolls once more.
Tyro
[Monkey - 1401, August 4th, 2075; Crime Mall, Puyallup]

(No way. I am NOT getting killed here. Time to rabbit.)

Never a fan of open confrontation or fair fights, Monkey slips away during the confusion. Maus had found her guy, and she could call him if she needed anything else. Meanwhile, he could hang around the main part of the mall and finish his shopping in case she did.
rythymhack
Pendulum August 2075

"Drum is the most seductive musical instrument. Its rhythm reminds us of our beating heart. Its sound clears our mind. We let go of our rational self. Drumstick up - the heart flutters. Drumstick down - the mind awakens. We practice martial arts not to conquer an opponent but rather to conquer our selves. We persue a thousand techniques to strive for the one moment when we are no longer fighting the drum. Then we are ready for the holy drum". That's what my Master taught me. Don't get me wrong. I respect the hell out of him, but when a feral ghoul (or 12) finds you in the barrens conquering an opponent is REALLY something you should be able to do. Now, his training definitely gave me an edge there, but he was too busy training to defend himself from said ghouls. He was just getting interesting too.

Kind of ironic that I grew up in the mechanicals tribe. I have no real talent for mechanics and technology definitely prefers I keep my distance. It does have its advantages. I have a family of sorts, I get to fight (Am I the only one who LIKES the raids?) and the Freedom tribe has hooked it up so I can watch every fight that currently airs.

Since the artist is just about done with the large multiple layered wing tatoo on my back, perhaps I should put the Metalink away for a bit.
adamu

The troll shook off the spell, a mist of blood spraying from his nose as he shook his huge head. Bringing his weapon back on line, he resumed pouring lead downrange, now probing the cluster of prone figures for the source of the spell.

His companion, who'd taken the worst of the dwarf's shotgun blast, concentrated his fire on the offending halfer, sending him to the ground with a thud and a spray of scarlet.

Then another stream of energy sprang from somewhere on the floor, and now both trolls were hemorrhaging in the wake of massive cellular damage.

Huddling among the fallen forms around her and wondering how long she could keep up the mana flow, Maus saw the door at the end of the corridor, behind the trolls, open.
adamu

Pendulum had been browsing aimlessly in the Crime Mall when the priority commcall from the Mechanicals command center had come in. Steamer had been taken, and everyont was mustering to try to get him back. Frizzen was on site and leading the effort. Noting the last posted location, Pendulum double-timed it in that direction.

Not exactly an artisan himself, he earned his keep with the tribe with his fighting skills, often working for Frizzen, in fact, and he was wasting no time.

Soon, he caught site of the big ork, now about a hundred meters away. He was with Kettle and several strangers, and had just charged through a door into one of the service corridors that fed into the darker marketplaces of the mall.

Covering the ground rapidly, he heard a literal roar of automatic heavy weapons fire on the other side of the door, but went through without hesitation, finding himself at the rear of two trolls in Night Prowler colors, apparently emptying their weapons into a pile of bodies a couple dozen yards farther down the corridor.
rythymhack

Seeing the trolls attempting to make hamburger out of at least one person he knows Pendulum takes matters into his own hands. Matching his movements to the Rythym of the gunfire he sneaks up behind the Night Prowler on the left. Striking the troll just to the right of the spine near a kidney, he is mildly disappointed when his opponent is still standing. And then he smiles broadly. It had been too long since the Rythym of this dance had been played for him.
adamu

The enraged troll never took his finger off the trigger as he spun to face his new attacker, and the big machine gun tore a long gash in the wall as he turned - bringing screams of pain from the other side. Once he'd come fully about he was close enough that Pendulum could feel the heat of the muzzle blast as he side-stepped the stream of death. And then the weapon went dry.

Tossing it to the ground, the troll, blood oozing from mouth and nostrils and a dozen lacerations on his face, pulled a long combat knife and squared off with the skinny ork newcomer.

Meanwhile, the other troll was pretty sure he'd zeroed in on the source of the spells, and concentrated his fire...
Aria

Silkie moved through the crowd like she belonged there (which in many ways she now did), a few quietly whispered words, barely heard by their target's conscious mind, nudged engrossed shoppers out of her way. Briar's feed indicated that Frizzen had gone down this way somewhere and the sudden muted roar of gunfire suggested the impulsive orc was in over his head again. Drawing the Shocker from the holster on her hip she settled her board in its case on her back and headed towards the ruckus, her supple grey clad form making hardly a ripple...the ultrasound overlay on her HUD highlighted the scene ahead of her and Silkie reached out with her senses as her mentor had taught her, trying to read the Pattern of the unfurling events...
adamu

Approaching the door of a service corridor - the vicinity of which was remarkably easy to approach, as the finely honed survival instincts of Crime Mall denizens took them a safer distance from what was clearly a gunfight happening on the other side of it - approaching the door Silkie's preternatural hearing noted that where there had been two machine guns firing, now there was only one, and in shorter bursts. Was she too late?

Moving through the doors, she saw the famiiar figure of an unarmed Pendulum (contradiction in terms) squaring off against a knife-wielding troll.

A second troll was continuing to fire his big machine gun into what appeared to be no more than a pile of bodies further down the hall.

For Maus, there was no sense of the firing abating in the slightest, as large-caliber rounds struck the walls and floor all around her. Miraculously, she was still alive, and knew she had to do something if she was going to stay that way...
Aria

Silkie knew that in her half visor and skin tight leathers she looked like a figure from one of those old Judge Dred comics and she spoke now with the same measure of authority. Her voice was pitched much lower than normal, laced with subtle subliminals and overtones that made it almost sound like there was a multitude issuing the command. Her voice 'spoke' to the part of the brain that wanted to obey, that wanted to be told what to do, almost skipping conscious thought altogether...

"Drop your weapon now!"
rythymhack

Most people think of rythym as sound. It is not. Nor is it motion. It is instead the space BETWEEN sounds and motions that make rythym. Sometime fimding the rythym takes aminute ofseeing what has come before to anticipate what may come next. Sometimes that is unnecessary. This was one of those times. Drawing a knife is a predictable action with a predictable space between drawing and using. Pendulum reached into that space and found a soft spot conveniently located between the armored legs of the trolls pants. Hearing the knife clatter to the floor at the same time as the command from the newcomer, Pendulum shakes the voice out of his head and says "The lady thanks you for your cooperation".
adamu

Pendulum stepped inside the troll's reach with perfect timing and neatly crushed the brute's testes. The giant dropped like a sack of bricks - vomiting but otherwise paralyzed by pain. His big knife clattered to the ground at almost the same time that the other troll dropped his machine gun, a response to a preternaturally forceful command. Pendulum didn't have to look to know who the voice belonged to.

The troll that was still standing sneered at the ork's condescending comment and wasted no time putting his back to the corridor wall, trying to keep all three active foes - the little girl with the mojo, the skinny ork with the moves, and the visored leather-girl with the voice - in sight. He raised one hand in a placating gesture, but kept the other meaningfully behind his back.

"Zero, punks, 'nuff's 'nuff. But SOSed the homes, so medieval goes like medieval comes." He coughed and spat up a frightening volume of blood. His knees buckled a bit but he kept his feet. "Say youse evac yours an' I didi mau wit' mine…"
Vegas

Another ball like electric fire pooled in the hands of the young blond girl, but instead of releasing like a whip, it stopped suddenly bubbling and dancing menacingly as if it was waiting for something.

In truth it was. Waiting for the mental permission from Maus to crackle down the hallway if the Troll made good with the implied threat of his arm behind his back. She was convinced by the amount of blood that one more quality strike from the energy she could capture and it would be over.

It was hard to negotiate with the dead.

She raised herself off the floor once she truly registered the hail of bullets had ended. The simple motion of sitting up made the hallway spin and she gritted her teeth and tasted blood in her mouth and did her best not to show she was hurting. She spat on the floor in the Troll's general direction before she spoke.

"How about you and your friend there ghost, we hang around for a bit and call it a day. Provided you keep it frosty and don't give me a reason to geek you right here."

She sneered at the Troll as the ball of fiery energy moved back and forth between her palms.
Aria

Silkie glanced at the diminutive girl that had risen from the pile of bodies and supressed a frown. Lading her voice with the full strength of her Will she addressed the troll, the unearthly sound speaking to the small part of him that still remembered beatings from the bitch that spawned him

"Wait. Tell me why you attacked these people..."
adamu
[1402, August 4th, 2075; Crime Mall, Puyallup]

Watching the big troll, it was hard to tell what pained him worse - massive internal bleeding or being pushed around by a tiny little waif. But from the way he warily eyed the ball of energy she toyed with between her fingers, it was clear he would give her no argument. Even when Silkie gave him a new - suggestion - he hardly took his eyes off the girl.

"Damned halfer drew down on us, chica…"

He sounded too tired and scared to be lying, but there was also something left dangling at the end of his sentence.
Aria

Silkie ignored his less than useful answer for now figuring he wasn't in a fit state to give more useful information at the moment. She unhitched the small medpack from her belt and tossed it at his feet

"You can patch yourself with that, perhaps you won't bleed your worthless life all over the floor...but don't think you are going anywhere until I get some answers..."

She then warily approached the girl with the mana to burn, undoing her helmet and presenting, hopefully, a much less threatening image

"Easy, I'm a friend...do you know what's going on here?"
adamu

Realizing he wasn't going anywhere without risking another spell-strike, the troll gave in to the temptation to sit, and he didn't hesitate to break open the proferred medkit.

His companion continued to writhe and whimper, fetal and gripping his groin.
Vegas

Maus split her gaze between the boarder-girl as she sized her up and the now seated troll for a moment before a self-satisfied smile danced on her lips, and the energy in her hand started to wane but not entirely extinguish. She wiped at her mouth with the back of her left hand, sighing softly out of personal frustration at the sight of more of her blood and her need to explain what was going on here.

"I'm with him," she nodded slightly to Frizzen's form slowly rising himself back up to a seated position before she continued. "We were on the tail of someone connected to one of his friends disappearing, she was right around the corner before these two rolled in with more brawn than brains and escalated the whole thing through the roof."

She shot a glare down the hallway as the troll started to patch himself up, her hardened gaze softening only slightly when she noted it meant she could see both his hands busying themselves with something other than his weapon. Turning her almost-full attention back to Silkie she raised an eyebrow at the girl.

"What's your stake in this game anyway?"
Aria

Silkie ramped up the wattage of her smile and nodding to include Pendulum

"We’re the cavalry! Pedulum and I are fellow tribals. You know Frizzen, or just wrong place, right time? Come on Frizz, snap out of it, you don’t look too battered…" turning her attention back to the small girl "Someone snagged Steamer and we got pinged to come and assist. Did anyone get a solid visual on the runner? We might be able to run facial recog on whatever passes for surveillance round here and try and track her that way. We can get a tracker out here from the tribe but I’d have thought the trail will be cold by the time they arrive…unless you have some mojo that will do the job? Failing that…" and she turned her attention meaningfully back on the groaning trolls "we can talk quietly with the gatecrashers and find out what they thought they were doing. It’s too much of a coincidence for it to be a random attack and I’m sure they will be more than happy to cooperate…"
Vegas
[1403, August 4th, 2075; Crime Mall, Puyallup]

"Right place, right time I guess." Maus shrugged and didn't overthink it much. She glanced over at Frizzen, assessing quickly how hurt he was and looked around as to who remained in the hallway, noticing Tommy was the only one missing from the fray and she remembered he had gone around the corner as the trolls showed up.

"There was another with us who was on her tail, don't know if he still is and I had...", she paused as she tested her link to her water spirit and found it still intact, querying it for information on the woman in that instant. "I have a spirit on her tail, here's hoping it too is keeping up and is our connection to finding your friend."
adamu

Taking a second look around, Maus realized that her acquaintance Monkey had disappeared as well, as had one of the two dwarfs they'd somehow picked up along the way. Checking the link with her spirit, she saw the woman they'd been chasing fleeing further into the bowels of the mall. There was a vague sense she was still being chased now, but true to its mission, the spirit's senses were focused on its target, not any possible pursuers, so Maus couldn't be sure which, if any, of her missing companions were after the lady.

Glancing around at those who remained, she saw the first dwarf that had joined them, the one with the shotgun whose name she couldn't remember, was down and bleeding heavily. And pressed up against one wall, as if trying to claw her way into it, was a ball of female flesh that had once housed the spirit of the woman they'd called Kettle.
adamu

As the small blond girl brought Silkie up to speed, and the extent of the carnage became apparent, Pendulum focused on gleaning useful information. It only took a second to notice a commlink that had fallen to the ground near the fallen trolls. After the din and muzzle flash of machine gun fire, its pleas for attention seemed miniscule, but it was definitely flashing repeated texts, and there was a rough voice emanating from the speaker.
rythymhack

Pendulum Carefully picked up the comlink taking careto note any information displayed regarding the current connection. And then listened.
adamu

As Pendulum picked up the small device, the seated troll, previously preoccupied with medicating himself, gave a dismayed, "Oh shit," under his breath.

Pendulum saw texts flashing across the screen, repeatedly asking what wa happening, just as a guttural voice was shouting "What the hell, troops, status report," and so forth over and over.

And then the seated troll shouted, "Opfor jumped us, El-tee. Medevac!"
Vegas

As an entirely different type of chaos started to unfold in the hallway and Maus was starting to crawl towards where the dwarf lay bleeding, the shouting troll snapped her attention back to the end of the hall.

"Oh, HELL no.

She hissed her displeasure as the ball of fire-like energy roared to life in her hands. She cursed at him in some back-alley version of cityspeak and let loose her anger with yet another spell.

She watched as it crackled and burned around the troll's face, the momentary look of panic that overtook him as the pure energy tried to stop his lifeforce. A sadistic smile lit up her pale blue eyes before she turned to Silkie.

"We should think about getting out of here, and quickly."
adamu

The troll's skull had ruptured in three places, leaving long fissures oozing with grayish red. Still seated against the wall, his lifeless eyes still showed the pain of his demise.

Nearby, his companion continued to moan weakly like an ailing infant, while the commlink had gone eerily silent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012