Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GURPS Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Koekepan
The big problem I have found with translation is that the GURPS system doesn't reliably encompass what Shadowrun magic does, as per fluff. Things like distinctions between astral and mundane, initiation, metaplanes, spiritual possession, manifestation and so on - in Shadowrun these are very important and meaningful things. In GURPS they have to be tacked on.

I would rather start from the beginning, perhaps revamps the GURPS rules a little bit, but then rewrite a lot of the background material for compatibility with GURPS rules with a minimum of drama.

Just because GURPS is a clean system does not mean that the system mechanics do what you want them to.
Tzeentch
QUOTE (Koekepan @ Nov 16 2013, 10:46 AM) *
The big problem I have found with translation is that the GURPS system doesn't reliably encompass what Shadowrun magic does, as per fluff. Things like distinctions between astral and mundane, initiation, metaplanes, spiritual possession, manifestation and so on - in Shadowrun these are very important and meaningful things. In GURPS they have to be tacked on.

-- GURPS is pretty modular which is why you can have the vanilla skill magic system in core, but also Ritual Path Magic and the odd variants from Thamautology.
I would rather start from the beginning, perhaps revamps the GURPS rules a little bit, but then rewrite a lot of the background material for compatibility with GURPS rules with a minimum of drama.

-- It's a waste of time to try and port the Shadowrun mechanics (any edition) over, in my opinion. Its better to take existing GURPS mechanics and wrap fluff around it, which I think is what you're saying too.
Koekepan
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Nov 16 2013, 11:45 PM) *
-- It's a waste of time to try and port the Shadowrun mechanics (any edition) over, in my opinion. Its better to take existing GURPS mechanics and wrap fluff around it, which I think is what you're saying too.

Pretty much. The basic ideas are mismatched with GURPS, which means that it's easier to start with GURPS and rewrite the fluff to make sense with that ruleset.

That's the interesting part about different rulesets - how well they represent different worldviews.
Umidori
GURPS! For when you want to play a different game entirely, and yet don't!

~Umi
BookWyrm
I agree, that it's far better to take existing GURPS material & adapt fluff to a usable "GURPS Shadowrun".
Umidori
Introducing, GURPS NERPs! For all your commodity valuation transaction and service needs!

~Umi
BookWyrm
GURPS Nerps. For the kids. Now in smooth menthol and cleansing eucalyptus.
Koekepan
I gave this topic some additional thought, after unearthing some of my old GURPS books, and here's my take on how I'd approach it:

• GURPS Cyberpunk is still a surprisingly good book. Idea-dense, largely reality-based although you can use some of the options to go pretty much transhumanist if you really want to. Still available, pick it up and use it.
  • GURPS Magic is good to have. Not because the standard magic system is a particularly good fit for the shadowrun milieu, but because the variants offer good flexibility. Pick one variant (maybe runic magic) for shamans, another (possibly college-based) for hermetics, allow some variations around the edges, houserule limitations on speed of casting and summoning, and you're there.
  • Do systems translations from whichever shadowrunny splatbooks spin your wheels, including favourite monsters, and the rest is all fluff.

One lazy Sunday of taking notes, and you should be ready to roll. If you want to be more prepared, just run through the GURPS systems you choose and make flowcharts for your players, so that they know how to achieve things in your campaign. The GURPS network creation system is also pretty milieu agnostic, so you can use that as well.

You may want to slightly modify the implications of necromancy or its link to summoning things to make it more usable, but that's up to you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012