Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spell ideas
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
Predict traffic. Divination. sustained. personal.
Gain +1 dice per net hit on all checks to negotiate heavy traffic, either vehicle or foot. Common checks include pilot (ground craft), running and shadowing.

Failsafe. Manipulation. sustained. touch.
Upon casting this spell the target receives a pool equal to the number of net hits scored during casting. As long as the spell is sustained the target may spend a free action to reroll one dice in a skill or attribute check they made using a simple or complex action this action phase (IE yes for shooting, no for dodging or soak). If used to reroll a 1 then the caster and the target each take 1 point of unresisted stun damage (If the caster is also the target then they take a total of 1 damage) but the new roll is used to determine glitches/critical glitches. While this spell is in effect the target may not use edge to stage down glitches or reroll dice.

Any other ideas?
Blade
I've added many custom "daily use" SR4 spells in Style Over Substance (link in sig.).
xsansara
The re-rolling one's mechanic seems out of place, also the pseudo-drain inside the spell related to it. An effect more similar to the spirit power would be more appropriate.

You did not give a Drain code.

I did toy with extra drain for sustained spells myself, e.g. on Health spells. But it is just a clumsy workaround to You-shall-not-go-buffed-wherever-you-go.

I am missing Makeover and Fashion from the current SR5 list. And ...

Preservation circle
Ritual, anchored
The ritual creates a sphere around the anchor with a radius in meters equal to the leader's Magic rating. Inside the sphere, preservations and material links do not spoil. It takes (Force) hours to complete the circle and it lasts (Force) days. When cast on a preservation circle that is already active, it does not prolong the duration, but replaces it with the new value. The leader may spent an amount of Karma equal to the Force of the circle to make it permanent.

Sendaz
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Nov 21 2013, 04:48 AM) *
Failsafe. Manipulation. sustained. touch.
Upon casting this spell the target receives a pool equal to the number of net hits scored during casting. As long as the spell is sustained the target may spend a free action to reroll one dice in a skill or attribute check they made using a simple or complex action this action phase (IE yes for shooting, no for dodging or soak). If used to reroll a 1 then the caster and the target each take 1 point of unresisted stun damage (If the caster is also the target then they take a total of 1 damage) but the new roll is used to determine glitches/critical glitches. While this spell is in effect the target may not use edge to stage down glitches or reroll dice.

Not so sure on this has the potential to basically pre-empt edge, granted you are only rerolling one die per action rolled, but sometimes a single roll can make the difference-especially if you are trying to reach a threshold like say targeting an aoe spell and you can use this spell repeatedly through the day as you use it up. The stun damage backlash is negligible.

Not saying it doesn't have possibilities, but you are basically doing a minor form of Twist Fate and has some huge potentials.

Will have to contemplate this one a bit.....
Irion
Upon casting this spell the target receives a pool equal to the number of net hits scored during casting. As long as the spell is sustained the target may spend a free action to reroll one dice in a skill or attribute check they made using a simple or complex action this action phase

So +1 to all tests, as long as you have a free action.

If used to reroll a 1 then the caster and the target each take 1 point of unresisted stun damage (If the caster is also the target then they take a total of 1 damage) but the new roll is used to determine glitches/critical glitches. While this spell is in effect the target may not use edge to stage down glitches or reroll dice.

And reduce the chance of a glitch/critical glitch by 50% for 1 point of Stun...
DrZaius
Death Curse (Ritual)

A Death Curse allows a combat spell to be cast on a subject who has killed the caster. The Death curse can be used on any target, whether within visual range or not, provided that they are the one who killed the target. The spell is cast normally, with all the tests and drain appropriate to the chosen Combat spell (step 6 of ritual spellcasting). This ritual requires (Force) hours to complete.
shonen_mask

I've been thinking of a more potent version of Analyze Device. Maybe utilizing Hits rather than Net Hits...

shonen_mask
oops...
someone posted the same time as me in the welcome to the shadows thread....
shonen_mask
happened again...

Bump:
DMiller
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Nov 23 2013, 12:00 AM) *
Death Curse (Ritual)

A Death Curse allows a combat spell to be cast on a subject who has killed the caster. The Death curse can be used on any target, whether within visual range or not, provided that they are the one who killed the target. The spell is cast normally, with all the tests and drain appropriate to the chosen Combat spell (step 6 of ritual spellcasting). This ritual requires (Force) hours to complete.

Quick question... How do you cast a Ritual if you are dead, or is this meant to be something you prepare ahead of time, in which case it needs a maximum duration (like the alchemy stuff)?
DrZaius
QUOTE (DMiller @ Nov 24 2013, 07:32 PM) *
Quick question... How do you cast a Ritual if you are dead, or is this meant to be something you prepare ahead of time, in which case it needs a maximum duration (like the alchemy stuff)?

I've been reading the Dresden files a lot recently...

Ideally, it would be a ritual you prepare ahead of time, and cast at your death. the actual game mechanics of which I'm unsure of (would you have to re-cast it every several days? etc.)

-DrZ
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Nov 25 2013, 06:56 AM) *
I've been reading the Dresden files a lot recently...

Ideally, it would be a ritual you prepare ahead of time, and cast at your death. the actual game mechanics of which I'm unsure of (would you have to re-cast it every several days? etc.)

-DrZ

Well, in Dresden, you always have time to implement a Death Curse; Much like you always get a dramatic soliloquy upon your death in Feng Shui.
It is a narrative device more than anything else.
smile.gif
Sendaz
Plus consider how magic and tech do NOT get along in the Dresden-universe, would be a very different shadowrun if we played by those rules.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Nov 25 2013, 01:36 PM) *
Plus consider how magic and tech do NOT get along in the Dresden-universe, would be a very different shadowrun if we played by those rules.

Very Much So... Talk about a definite divide.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 26 2013, 10:15 AM) *
Very Much So... Talk about a definite divide.

I haven't read any of the books but I none-the-less have at least a passing familiarity with the subject (Thank You TvTropes). Given the level of magic-tech-not-play-niceness I now have this burning desire to find out what happens when you take a 1 essence cybermage and drop him through an experimental dimensional portal into the DF universe...

On an unrelated note, has anyone done any work on a stargate/shadowrun game?
Sendaz
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Nov 25 2013, 10:25 PM) *
I haven't read any of the books but I none-the-less have at least a passing familiarity with the subject (Thank You TvTropes). Given the level of magic-tech-not-play-niceness I now have this burning desire to find out what happens when you take a 1 essence cybermage and drop him through an experimental dimensional portal into the DF universe...

On an unrelated note, has anyone done any work on a stargate/shadowrun game?

Well it's the classic Star wars vs Star trek thing. Two different styles of physics in play, whose do you abide by?

Dropping the cybermage in a DF universe should be against the cybermage as he will have to be adapting to a whole new set of physics in play, unless you handwave saying yes his own rules are dominant even though he is in a whole new universe.

It would be like dropping a D&D monster who needs a +3 magic weapon to hit into Shadowrun, which is considerably different than how Immunity to Normal weapons works. The former takes NO damage from anything less than a +3 whereas the latter is a heavy form of armor, but you can still injure it - granted it takes a lot to do so. If the monster's personal physics trumps the SR universe, it would pretty much be a god since there is no equivalent of a +3 short of maybe an artefact.

The more reasonable conclusion would be it changes to fit the universe it entered. Which may come as a shock to the monster who suddenly starts bleeding from being repeated shot by a HMG.
Neraph
QUOTE (DMiller @ Nov 24 2013, 06:32 PM) *

I thought it was something that you cast as a Ritual when you project before death. You still have a few hours to work it in. Or if you go to the metaplanes you have all of eternity to do so.
DMiller
QUOTE (Neraph @ Nov 27 2013, 08:39 AM) *
I thought it was something that you cast as a Ritual when you project before death. You still have a few hours to work it in. Or if you go to the metaplanes you have all of eternity to do so.

Rituals require a magic circle and reagents... The magic circle could be that one most mages have at home, but reagents do not follow you onto the Astral, so without making an allowance for this within the spell description it wouldn't work. As a preparation however it should.
Neraph
QUOTE (DMiller @ Nov 26 2013, 06:07 PM) *
Rituals require a magic circle and reagents... The magic circle could be that one most mages have at home, but reagents do not follow you onto the Astral, so without making an allowance for this within the spell description it wouldn't work. As a preparation however it should.

... Which edition are we talking about? Because in 4th Ed, neither of those things are required at all. Ritual Spellcasting does not require a Magical Lodge nor does it require any reagents in 4th Ed.
DMiller
QUOTE (Neraph @ Nov 27 2013, 10:04 AM) *
... Which edition are we talking about? Because in 4th Ed, neither of those things are required at all. Ritual Spellcasting does not require a Magical Lodge nor does it require any reagents in 4th Ed.

Good point. The thread doesn't specify an edition. So my comments are about the most current edition (SR5), as they do not apply to SR4 (or earlier).
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Nov 26 2013, 06:04 PM) *

Ummmmm... In SR4A, Your Ritual is limited by the Rating of your Lodge, IIRC.

QUOTE (Ritual Magic, SR4A, Page 184)
Requirements
All members taking part in the ritual must be of the same tradition and must know the spell. In order to cast ritual sorcery, you must have a magical lodge appropriate to the tradition of those involved. The Force of the lodge limits both the number of spellcasters who can successfully contribute to the ritual and the Force of the spell cast. A group cannot ritually cast a spell of a higher Force than that of the magical lodge used.

So, You DO need a Lodge, It is an EXPLICIT Requirement. smile.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 29 2013, 10:00 AM) *
Ummmmm... In SR4A, Your Ritual is limited by the Rating of your Lodge, IIRC.

So, You DO need a Lodge, It is an EXPLICIT Requirement. smile.gif

Very well. Dunno how I missed that, but miss it I did.

Regardless, even if you die you could go back to your Lodge at home and Ritual cast something before you disperse forever. Or pop over to the Metaplanes and summon spirits to go attack your killers for eternity.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Nov 30 2013, 10:58 AM) *
Very well. Dunno how I missed that, but miss it I did.

Regardless, even if you die you could go back to your Lodge at home and Ritual cast something before you disperse forever. Or pop over to the Metaplanes and summon spirits to go attack your killers for eternity.

No worries, It happens to everyone. smile.gif

Why go to all that trouble? Just Burn that point of Edge and don't die. wobble.gif eek.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012