Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Enchanting possibilities
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kronk2
As I read and think about it, the possibilities for Enchantment and Alchemy in this game intrigue me. Gone are the days of just making the proscribed foci. We can now make interesting potions, ointments, and traps. banana peel bomb anyone?
FuelDrop
I'm actually toying with the idea of an alchemist archer. Arrow with fireball would be my missile, Arrow with darkness my smoke grenade. Arrow with silence and poison to take down guards quietly, Arrow with stunbolt for non-lethal attacks.

I'm going to need some really good gloves though. Like, 5 nuyen.
Pendaric
I like unique foci that does somethings outside of the ordanary, like gift the user with the astral chamleon edge or see through Glamour.

I have also been playing with the Dark telesma market, that which caters to the toxic, twisted and corrupt magic users. You generally carn't pick up a Hand of Glory from any old Stuffer Shack. Well you can but the time investment a bitch then there the overheads, its just work, work, work.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Nov 26 2013, 03:56 AM) *
I'm actually toying with the idea of an alchemist archer. Arrow with fireball would be my missile, Arrow with darkness my smoke grenade. Arrow with silence and poison to take down guards quietly, Arrow with stunbolt for non-lethal attacks.

With the opposed test they dont last very long so it is hard to make a character focused around it. But a bad ass archer who supplements it with alchemy can work.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Nov 30 2013, 02:28 PM) *
But a bad ass archer who supplements it with alchemy can work.

There is already a 'hero' running around doing that down New Orleans way.....

What?

You never heard of The Grigri Arrow? nyahnyah.gif
Shinobi Killfist
I just finished watching the first season of Arrow, so the idea does appeal to me a bit.
Shemhazai

More than one preparation on one arrow tip is brilliant. You could add silence to the fireball too. And a dome-shaped physical barrier.

I would also make this character very good at throwing things.

Concept: The Surgeon
Distinctive Style: Goes on runs wearing medical gloves.
Umidori
I've built a number of "Lesser" uniquely enchanted items to sprinkle into my various campaigns for players to find. The idea behind them is to provide fun and interesting mechanics that are not necessarily powerful, but rather uniquely convenient or useful in select circumstances. Their natures are highly irregular and mysterious, so much so that even magical experts are baffled by them, and typically the only way to figure out what they do is to use them.

Slumber Ring - Induces natural sleep upon wearing, victim awoken as normal.

Dumb Gum - An endless pack of gum that magically forces the chewer to keep chewing for 1D6 minutes, unable to speak or vocalize.

Ten Spirit Bag - Always contains ten different samples of alcohol, with each new replacement chosen randomly when a previous sample is removed. Shaking the bag vigorously randomizes all ten at once.

Leprechaun's Wallet - Full of disappearing cash and credsticks which will only exist for 2D6 minutes outside of the wallet. Astral aura is incredibly suspicious, permanent material link to a powerful trickster fae.

Silver Fox Charm - Once per day, when brushed, inflicts a minor Influence (Mischief) on everyone within 10 meters.

Lucky Ducky - A rubber duck that, when carried, reduces the number of 1s required for an attacking opponent to glitch by 1.

Neverending Spool - Thick black string, never frays, cuts and tears cleanly.

~Umi
DrZaius
...Arrow with silence and poison to take down guards quietly...

I think this may run afoul of a rule; specifically,

"...Preparations carry an aura with the astral signature of its creator, which is visible in astral space." (pg. 304)
and
"... The object used for the preparation is called the lynchpin. It must be small enough for you to lift, handle, and manipulate. In addition, the lynchpin must not have any aura already..." (pg 304-305, emphasis mine)

That said, the rule of cool should always trump; if it's a cool enough idea and not overpowered, there's no reason not to include it. Poison-silence arrows are pretty cool.

-DrZ

EDIT: Now, I can't think of a reason why you couldn't add a spell to an ACTUAL smoke grenade; it's a highly processed object, but it might be worthwhile for certain types of spells.
DrZaius
"Business" Card
Contact "Death Touch" preparation. Pithy / Ironic statements at player's discretion.

"SIN" Card
Contact "Knock Out". "Of course you can see my ID, officer..."

Masterkey
Command "Shatter". Useful on a ring for opening doors. Also handy for dealing with Trolls.

Shackles of TRUTH!
Contact, "Analyze Truth". Sustained for Potency minutes. Can also be used on plastic ties.

Shackles of Feebling
Contact, "Decrease Attribute [Strength]"

Gauntlets of Ogre Power
Command, "Increase Attribute [Strength]"

Solo Cup of Farhearing
Command, "Clairaudience".

Cardboard Tube of Farsight
Command, "Clairvoyance"

Defib Pads
Command, "Stabilize". Common command is "Clear!"

Aqualung Nasal Spray
Touch (Liquid), "Oxygenate"

Hammer Time
Command, "Increase Reflexes". Often a necklace of a hammer.

My New LP
Command, "Agony". Generally a set of headphones.

Bug Bomb
Command, "Swarm". Often a smoke grenade.

Cloak of Invisibility
Command, "Invisibility" or "Improved Invisibility"

Moomin
Would this work?

Enchant a gift of some sort with the Influence spell so that the person who touches it is influenced to travel to a loacation alone. Post it to your extraction target - you might end up with their secretary or the guy who sorts their post though.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Moomin @ Dec 5 2013, 09:00 AM) *
Would this work?

Enchant a gift of some sort with the Influence spell so that the person who touches it is influenced to travel to a loacation alone. Post it to your extraction target - you might end up with their secretary or the guy who sorts their post though.

I think the only flaw would be the oddness of actual snail mail in 2072 raising flags. Otherwise, I think it's a great idea.

You open the envelope, and inside is a ticket. When you pick it up... you recognize it. It's to a Carnival by the pier, where you used to go as a child. You are overwhelmed with memories; what it was like, how much fun you had, the countless hours spent trying to win the prizes. You wonder if it's still there. Maybe you'll stop by after work and check it out. You heard the neighborhood has fallen on some tough times, but you're not afraid- it should be fine. You'll just make a quick stop; no need to tell anyone else about it.

-DrZ
Sendaz
Let's just hope the Bugs don't pick up on that trick.

Hey look, a UB Revival Flyer........
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012