Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR5 Trolls and lifestyle costs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shadoweyes
Got into building a troll street sammie with razor claws and way too much stealth to be healthy for someone who's two and a half meters tall, and while doing augmentations (namely bone density, etc), I thought about the +100% lifestyle costs listed in the metatype table. For the life of me, the only spec I was able to find was the blurb about sizing gear for dwarves and trolls at the start of the gear section.

But does that apply to *everything* about a dwarf or troll, or just the things they would have to wear, wield, or have grafted into their bodies? A troll should be able to use electronics without having to pay double, most of them are just fire and forget. Glasses, goggles, and cybereyes are all just cameras with different light filters, I could understand why the base unit would cost twice as much, but the built in camera is twice as big?

And thats not even getting into magical foci, spells, scrolls, and lodges, nor cyberdecks, comlinks, or other things that are used "remotely".

So where does the line end? or is it just a "use best judgement" and "ask your GM"?
PiXeL01
If 5th then markup costs for gear is not something you need to pay. It's a leftover from 4th.

For lifestyle it's because of their size and diet, so you only need to pay 200% for lifestyle, nothing else.
Draco18s
QUOTE (PiXeL01 @ Nov 29 2013, 01:26 AM) *
If 5th then markup costs for gear is not something you need to pay. It's a leftover from 4th.

I thought it was leftover from a betatest idea?
Isath
Actually it is not a leftover. The raised lifestylecost, includes the cost for having to retrofit a lot of stuff. It is an abstraction, on accounts of easy shopping.
Shadoweyes
So, armour, weapons, cost of living and tools all get the troll tax but augmentations and electronics don't?
Critias
QUOTE (Isath @ Nov 29 2013, 01:40 AM) *
Actually it is not a leftover. The raised lifestylecost, includes the cost for having to retrofit a lot of stuff. It is an abstraction, on accounts of easy shopping.

To clarify: the increase in Lifestyle cost is intended. The increase in all gear is not. It's just a holdover from an earlier draft, something that got shot down but accidentally never removed from the text.

So trogs and halfers gotta pay extra for food, generic off-screen clothing, bigger begs, smaller chairs, modified living quarters, and junk like that, yeah (all bundled up in Lifestyle costs). But not most on-screen, in-game, stuff; not the ammo, guns, armor, focus items, bullets, explosives, cyberware, yadda yadda yadda.
Sengir
QUOTE (Shadoweyes @ Nov 29 2013, 08:05 PM) *
So, armour, weapons, cost of living and tools all get the troll tax but augmentations and electronics don't?

Nothing gets a markup except lifestyle costs, i.e. the costs for your pad. This kinda subsumes special needs, extra costs in other areas, and plain old racism.

The BBB currently says trolls and dwarfs pay +50% on gear, but it has been pointed out multiple times that this is an erroneous leftover from the beta which somehow sneaked its way into the final document
Isath
The BBB currently says trolls and dwarfs pay +50% on gear, but it has been pointed out multiple times that this is an erroneous leftover from the beta which somehow sneaked its way into the final document

Ah sorry, I was referring to the lifestylecost only. Didn't have the other thing on screen, as my book doesn't have it anymore.
Sengir
QUOTE (Isath @ Nov 29 2013, 09:22 PM) *
Ah sorry, I was referring to the lifestylecost only. Didn't have the other thing on screen, as my book doesn't have it anymore.

German engineering? wink.gif
Isath
You bet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012