Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Increased thresholds and opposed tests
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
Okay. Let's start at the very beginning.

You're corpsec. You're on your break. That moron Bob on the last shift didn't clean out the soycaf machine. The door cracks open and you look around.
"Jim, is that you?"
A small object flies through the crack in the door and starts spilling this thin gas into the room. You start to feel really good.
"Guys? April Fools was yesterday! What is this stuff? Oooh..."
Through the blur of fluffy bunnies and technicolor rainbows you realize that someone you don't recognize has just stepped into the room and you realize:
"Hey, you're not supposed to be here!"

So a fight starts. Mr Corpsec is doped to the eyeballs on Bliss.

One effect of bliss is +1 to all thresholds. What I want to know is how that effects stuff like shooting and dodging?
BishopMcQ
I'd just reduce the hits scored by one, then compare for the Opposed Test. Its easier and has fewer wonky side effects than always giving the Opposed Test one extra hit.
FuelDrop
I think that's a good idea.

So, Bliss grenades. Thoughts?
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Nov 30 2013, 02:29 AM) *
I think that's a good idea.

So, Bliss grenades. Thoughts?

Pair it up with an Orgasm spell and pretty should be pretty much completely compliant. smile.gif
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Nov 30 2013, 02:21 AM) *
I'd just reduce the hits scored by one, then compare for the Opposed Test. Its easier and has fewer wonky side effects than always giving the Opposed Test one extra hit.

In Exalted (2e, anyway,) this is called an External Penalty, and it's a decent mechanic. Rather than raising the thresholds, subtract hits from everything the character does. (As opposed to an internal penalty, which reduced their dice pool.)
FuelDrop
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Nov 30 2013, 03:37 PM) *
Pair it up with an Orgasm spell and pretty should be pretty much completely compliant. smile.gif

Now I want to hear the word on the street about this group!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Nov 30 2013, 12:43 AM) *
Now I want to hear the word on the street about this group!

Sadly, we have a Mage running around, whose solution to anything (and Everything) is a Force 6 Orgasm Spell... *sigh*
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 1 2013, 09:46 AM) *
Sadly, we have a Mage running around, whose solution to anything (and Everything) is a Force 6 Orgasm Spell... *sigh*

My girlfriend's first character was a male hooker mage who's default response to any problem was an Orgasm spell too.

It's actually a very good spell for non-lethally disabling people in 4th.
Umidori
Surely we're not forgetting the golden rule of dealing with players getting out of hand?

The mage won't stop Orgasming every other person? Hit them with an enemy mage who returns the favor! Bubba the Love Troll undergoes a latent awakening and decides to reach out and touch someone!

~Umi
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Umidori @ Nov 30 2013, 11:10 PM) *
Surely we're not forgetting the golden rule of dealing with players getting out of hand?

The mage won't stop Orgasming every other person? Hit them with an enemy mage who returns the favor! Bubba the Love Troll undergoes a latent awakening and decides to reach out and touch someone!

~Umi

We Never forget - That particular character has had to go into seclusion (as in Retirement) as he is being hunted mercilessly (but not just for the Orgasm Spell, natch). PC Hubris is a very entertaining thing... smile.gif
It is just somewhat entertaining...
Elfenlied
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Nov 30 2013, 05:02 AM) *
One effect of bliss is +1 to all thresholds. What I want to know is how that effects stuff like shooting and dodging?

I remember reading somewhere in the SR4A book that thresholds do not apply to opposed tests, and as such, shooting and dodging would not be affected. I have no idea how it works in SR5.

QUOTE (Umidori @ Dec 1 2013, 06:10 AM) *

~Umi

Q: How do you get a dog to lick its arsehole?

A: You jam a tube of mustard up its arse and squeaze. When you remove the the tube, the whimpering dog will start to lick.

Draco18s
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Dec 2 2013, 12:17 AM) *
Q: How do you get a dog to lick its arsehole?

Fresh ginger will work too. I hear its quite the fetish in the BDSM circles.

But the point is made: if you want to get the player to stop, you've got to give him a taste of his own medicine. Unfortunately though, some people like that sort of thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012