Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The funniest thing happend on my way here...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
phaedrus
I'm interested in hearing what place people think humour should play in SR and in particular during runs. I came across a comment I'd forgotten in the core book about awarding karma that encouraged GM's to award extra karma to characters who while RPing cause the other characters to roll about on the floor laughing. One of the SR crews I'm in seem incapable of doing too much without resorting to some fairly extreme levels of humour - is this common??

One of the best examples I have is of the party troll, "Pepsi W. Cola" who has zero flaws/edges but certainly RPs plenty of hilarious flaws. (You do not want to be in a skirt and keep company with Pepsi - our poor face character - female elf- has just about had to emasculate him to keep him at bay...) Pepsi became bored (a regular occurence, watch out when it happens) with the mage of the party consistently going astral and doing all those mage things. So upon completing the extraction at a certain facility, he opened the van side door, dropped his pants, bent over and pointed his enormous troll posterior at the rapidly retreating security forces and in his words:

"Arse Troll projected..."

We were unable to continue the run for quite some time. It is just too hard to see the dice rolls with tears streaming down your face and your breath coming in gasps as your roll about on the floor...
kuroko
QUOTE (phaedrus)
I'm interested in hearing what place people think humour should play in SR and in particular during runs.  I came across a comment I'd forgotten in the core book about awarding karma that encouraged GM's to award extra karma to characters who while RPing cause the other characters to roll about on the floor laughing.  One of the SR crews I'm in seem incapable of doing too much without resorting to some fairly extreme levels of humour - is this common??

One of the best examples I have is of the party troll, "Pepsi W. Cola" who has zero flaws/edges but certainly RPs plenty of hilarious flaws.  (You do not want to be in a skirt and keep company with Pepsi - our poor face character - female elf- has just about had to emasculate him to keep him at bay...)  Pepsi became bored (a regular occurence, watch out when it happens) with the mage of the party consistently going astral and doing all those mage things.  So upon completing the extraction at a certain facility, he opened the van side door, dropped his pants, bent over and pointed his enormous troll posterior at the rapidly retreating security forces and in his words:

"Arse Troll projected..."

We were unable to continue the run for quite some time.  It is just too hard to see the dice rolls with tears streaming down your face and your breath coming in gasps as your roll about on the floor...

Reward that man!

So seriously, humor is vital to many rp groups I've seen and all the ones I've been in. Everything from zombie-beer-blood (a dnd game gone nuts) to camels farting magical lsd (that was pure SR, ask only if you like long stories that don't make too much sense). No matter the game, I don't count it as a good one unless I laugh twice. I've seen groups without the humor, but those can get boring, so I prefer jokers. In fact many of the best roleplayers I've meet are improvers, folks who do things like _Whose Line is it Anyway?_ for run in amatuer groups. They're both creative and funny, with good character skills.

{edit}
Hell, check my sig. The top is a moment that mde me laugh (a terrorist was trying to hickjack us and I dropped a smoke gren so the adept would be able to close, but everyone thought it was concussion or offensive), and the other is a running joke from the same crew (we found that in every adventure we could make the tell it straight section funnier by adding it -AND IT FIT!!!)
{/edit}
L.D
We have humor in our games every session and I award karma for it. We've even gone so far as to writing it down.

Lemme see...

First meeting between the orc runner (Raven, huge about 2.4 meters) and dwarf runner (Whalighrt, average dwarf)
Whalighrt: Are you the big orc?
Raven: No. I'm a tiny dwarf, can't you see?

Same meeting when introducing themselves:
W: Whalighrt.
R: Bless you.

The team was breaking into this secret facility to steal a datafile. The decker (Angel) is downloading the file from the internal computer while a feathered serpent is sleeping nearby. The dragon wakes up, sees the runner and says:
D: What do you think you're doing?
A: Downloading this file. I'm not done yet. Hang on a sec.

Random discussion:
Player one: Light Military Grade Armor!
Player two (to GM): What happens if you walk down the street wearing one?
Player three: The street blows up.

Oh, dear... The next couple of ones are from an adventure in the metaplanes, where the we (I wasn't GM at the time) switched bodies with each other, but the bodies kept abilities such as magic. The character: Dances (shaman), Whalighrt (mundane), Moe (shaman), Tim (druid), Starsword (physad).

Akecheta: Dunkelzahn? Who is that? Is that someone you know?
Whalighrt: Yes. It's a dragon.
Ake: Dragon?
Dances: Don't you know the word?
Ake: Yes we do, but... dragons are just fantasy creatures.
Starsword: Dragons are real where we come from!
Tim: *walks out of the house. screams for a while and walks back into the house*
(just to hear)
Whalighrt: We come from a parallel universe!
Tim: *walks out and screams some more*

Akecheta (to Tim, in Whalighrts body): You have a totem?
Tim: Yes! *points to Starsword in Tim's body)SHE has stolen my body!

Matoskah: I'm here to pick up some fools?
And everyone in the team starts waving saying (with a smile): That's us!

Matsila (to Tim, still in Whalighrt body): Do you need any help?
Tim: No. I'm talking to my ally spirit.

Ptay (to Tim, yet still in Whalighrts body): What's that?
Tim: My ally spirit.
Ptay: But you're a mundane?
Tim: Why does everyone have to keep going on about that!

Tim: A little blood magic never hurt anyone.
Grimtooth
We have been playing a gang type game for the last several months.

After a gang war and a flooding in the underground where we were hiding, there are only 6 members left out of 60. We were running low on funds, had no support from any kind of gang. We decided to sweet talk our way into menial jobs. 2 worked as bouncers (thugs) and 2 worked in stuffer shacks (warm bodies to watch people steal stuffers). Needless to say that after 2 quick months of this were were fed up and still broke.

Saturday was our first real meet with a Jonhnson.

The Johnson has us (a former troll street gang, including one human we like to call Norm) meet him at a very upscale club.

Now you have to remember that we all live at street level lifestyles.

We sat down at the table and were going through the niceties. The jonhson offered us refresments.

Johnson: Go ahead get anything you like.
Player 1: Large glass of REAL orange juice.
Player 2: The same.
Player 3: I'll take the ash tray.
/picks up the ash tray
Jonhson: That's not an ash tray that's my white noise generator.

We about died laughing. It was just so to the point and in character.
Kagetenshi
*Happy spider dance*

~J
DeadNeon
I love humor in games.

From the game I used to run:

Face: Whats the matter?
Muscle: That stripper said she wanted to get into my pants.
Face: Really?
Muscle: Yeah
Face: You're a troll..
Muscle: So?
Face:...and she's a dwarf"
Muscle: Whats your point?
Face: Is that even possible?

The ensuing conversation was hilarious, as the two characters pondered the logistics of male troll/female dward copulation.
Kakkaraun
The real joke there is that, due to size differential, she actually COULD FIT into his pants.

Bubba the Love Troll. When you get loved by Bubba, you stay loved.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012