Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bipods vs Internal Bipods
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mantis
In Arsenal they say that all built-in accessories on a weapon should be considered mods as per the weapon modification rules. So does this apply to weapons that come with a bipod? Should they really be considered Internal Bipods instead? There is a difference between the mod and the accessory beyond just the recoil comp they provide. The reason I'm asking is because I am adding the new guns from Gun He(a)ven 3 to Chummer and the program makes a distinction between the 2 things as well. None of the weapons with a bipod actually say it is an internal bipod so is this a typo? A case of this particular mod not following the rules? Maybe CanRay can weigh in on this.
Koekepan
Maybe it would help to look at how bipods attach in the real world, and how they actually operate.

I know, I know, I should be whipped with noodles for suggesting that anything in Shadowrun might bear a resemblance to reality, but in actual fact many bipods, if not most, live alongside other attachments largely neutrally, by sitting on a sling swivel and almost all provide a secondary swivel so that you can have a bipod and a sling. A few have different connections, such as on picatinny rails, but I can't even remember the last time I saw a bipod which wasn't readily detachable (i.e. built in).
kzt
Yup, real world you might need to swap the bipod out to get longer or shorter legs depending on terrain or your shooting position. Or you might clamp the rifle into a tripod.
Mantis
In this case it isn't a matter of how it works in the real world. It is specifically about which type (internal mod or accessory) is supposed to be on the various weapons that come with the thing by default. Take the Barrett or the PSG Enforcer from Arsenal or the Colt Inception from Gun Heaven 3 or the Cavalier Lancer from Gun Heaven 2. All of these weapons list a bipod among the standard upgrades. Arsenal makes the distinction in the section on weapon mods on pg 148 that all upgrades should be considered mods.
Why does this matter? Well the internal bipod, in addition to providing recoil comp as the accessory, also can be folded to act as a foregrip as well as being deployable via wireless with a free action as opposed to the simple action the accessory requires. It has more utility than the accessory so knowing whether they intended the bipods that are included on weapons to be accessories or mods is kind of an important distinction.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012