Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [SR4]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mist-e-Fire
Hi,

I' wondering if the power to negate glitches from the spirits apply to all glitches or only environmental and hazards glitches?

Thanks

QUOTE ("SR4A")
Guard
The Guard power gives the critter the ability to prevent normal environmental accidents and hazards (both natural and those induced
by the Accident power), such as preventing someone from succumbing to heatstroke or saving someone from drowning. The Guard power can
also be used to prevent a glitch from occurring. Guard may be used on a number of characters at once equal to the critter’s Magic attribute.
DMiller
I believe that it is "all glitches" while under the power. That is how we have always played it.
Mist-e-Fire
Isn't that a bit "too powerful" for the already powerful spirits?
It means that they can potentially cover all glitches from a regular size runner group.
Blade
The description is pretty vague and can be interpreted both ways, so it's one of those things that are up to the GM.
One of the big problems with letting it prevent glitches, is that the character can then "rush the job" on all extended tests without suffering from the penalty.
Mist-e-Fire
Indeed.

Ok, thanks both of you for your answers!
I think I will use Blade's way and decide myself smile.gif
The Overlord
This is also a question i have had, particularly since SR5 came out and made enchanting foci run the risk of loosing essence. Having a spirit Guard you from glitching seems like a loophole, but also doesnt seem to far away from what it should be able to do. Personally i like to run it as the guard power's effectiveness it tied to the force of the spirit. I don't have a formula or anything, so i just kind of wing it from there, like the spirits force must equal/exceed half the hits rolled against you or the threshold of the failed action. But being the kind hearted GM i am id lean in favor of the players most of the time.
blaze2050
I have this houserule:
The more powerful the spirit, the less dice can the roll have, that glitches.
A spirit's Guard can stop glitches with 8-Force or more dice.
Examples: A spirit with Force 2 can only stop glitches on rolls that have 6 dice and more. These are relatively rare.
A spirit with Force 5 can stop glitches on rolls with only 3 dice (or more). With 3 dice your glitch probability is pretty high, so that's quite powerful.
A spirit with Force 7 can stop glitches on rolls with only 1 dice (or more). Of course that's the best you can have, because now you can roll without risk instead of having 1/6 chance of a critical glitch. But for that most people have to oversummon.

Adapt the 8-Force guideline as it suits your game.

You could couple that with the Guard rule of 5th edition, that says, that each glitch that was stopped from happening counts a service (page 397 SR5):
Each accident averted or glitch prevented counts as a service if this power is used by a spirit.

So to prevent glitches with high probability of happening you need high Force and it costs services. That's still powerful especially for Extended rolls, where without this power most people wouldn't risk rolling the last 4, 3, 2,1 dice because of the high risk of ruining it all, but with this houserule it would cost something.
Neraph
QUOTE (blaze2050 @ Dec 19 2013, 02:02 AM) *
[ Spoiler ]

Good idea. Another idea would be having the Force of the spirit act as a reverse version of glitching - you subtract the Force of the spirit from the 1's present to see if it's a glitch or not.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a spirit can only have a number of Powers at a time equal to their Force, so a F4 spirit would only be able to use Guard on 4 people, and wouldn't be able to use any other spirit powers. This is somewhere in Street Magic if memory serves. This would help mitigate the ability to get spirits to negate any and all issues with glitches.
Mist-e-Fire
I see smile.gif

Well, there seems to be many houserules for that unclear point.
I like the ideas, but I think I have enough complexity from SR4.

In my group, we feel a tendency from spirits to be overpower to the group. The reality to other group is probably different depending on gameplay and group power.

In the end, I will simplly limit the power to environment and hazards glitches.

Thanks for all your answers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012