Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is a spell?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tseims
I am entering a SR4 campaign in which I have played before with a different character, a magician.
Another player's adept died during the time I wasn't playing and now he has a magician character.

He gloated over the fact that he has almost all the combat spells, which I didn't think was possible. He said that you don't learn Flamethrower or Fireball, you learn the "Fire" spell, of which the other two are versions you can cast depending on what you want from your spell.

I quickly dismissed him, saying that's not how it works and that they are indeed different spells, but upon checking the books I found nothing to disprove his idea with.

I still think my way is the correct one, but seeing I usually play the part of the rules police in my playgroup, I need to have something to back my case.

In short, what does the books mean when they use the word "spell"?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Tseims @ Dec 19 2013, 03:08 PM) *
I am entering a SR4 campaign in which I have played before with a different character, a magician.
Another player's adept died during the time I wasn't playing and now he has a magician character.

He gloated over the fact that he has almost all the combat spells, which I didn't think was possible. He said that you don't learn Flamethrower or Fireball, you learn the "Fire" spell, of which the other two are versions you can cast depending on what you want from your spell.

I quickly dismissed him, saying that's not how it works and that they are indeed different spells, but upon checking the books I found nothing to disprove his idea with.

I still think my way is the correct one, but seeing I usually play the part of the rules police in my playgroup, I need to have something to back my case.

In short, what does the books mean when they use the word "spell"?

You sir, are correct. You do not learn "Fire" spells...
You Learn Flamethrower, or Fireball, or Napalm, etc.
Each spell is a unique formula, generating a specific effect, which must be learned individually... Consult SR4A, Pages 181-184 for relevant text on Sorcery, and Spells in specific. The Grimoire lists individual spells that may be purchased. Your associate is wrong...

Assuming you started with the Maximum number of Spells at character creation (12), you would have to spend an additional 90 Karma to learn all the listed Combat Spells in Street Magic (there are 30 spells listed).
Umidori
A miserable little pile of secrets?

~Umi
Tanegar
What TJ said. OP, say "no" to flagrant munchkinry.
Snow_Fox
we represent the lullaby league, the lullaby league, the lullaby league....
Fatum
QUOTE (Umidori @ Dec 20 2013, 03:21 AM) *
A miserable little pile of secrets?
But enough talk, have at you!
Neraph
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 19 2013, 04:27 PM) *
Assuming you started with the Maximum number of Spells at character creation (12)...

14, with Aptitude for Spellcasting.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 31 2013, 11:00 PM) *
14, with Aptitude for Spellcasting.

True... Waste of points, though, if you ask me. *shrug*
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jan 2 2014, 04:08 AM) *
True... Waste of points, though, if you ask me. *shrug*

If there was any skill that was WORTH taking aptitude for it'd be spellcasting. Still not worth it, but Spellcasting is the one case where it's close.

To the OP: yeah, that guy either doesn't know what he's talking about or is lying his arse off.

Ignorance or Malice? YOU MAKE THE CALL!
Bigity
If he complains, tell him to be glad each DAMAGE CODE isn't a different spell anymore.

RAM (L), RAM (M), RAM (S), etc.

And each FORCE is a different spell. Heal 1, Heal 2, Heal 3, etc
Neraph
QUOTE (Bigity @ Jan 2 2014, 09:51 AM) *
If he complains, tell him to be glad each DAMAGE CODE isn't a different spell anymore.

RAM (L), RAM (M), RAM (S), etc.

And each FORCE is a different spell. Heal 1, Heal 2, Heal 3, etc

*shudder*
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Neraph @ Jan 2 2014, 05:04 PM) *
*shudder*

We had to learn all our spells and we liked it like that!
Neraph
Back in those days I was an adept.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Jan 2 2014, 01:09 PM) *
Back in those days I was an adept.

Back in those days, you could get by with a lot of Force 1 Spells (mental ones anyway, not combat), as once you got enough hits to exceed their resistance, they could not successfully resist it any longer (not enough dice to offset the hits)... Of course, they had to be pretty competent casters to pull it off, but that was not all that hard to do. We had a Mage that took great advantage of that little factoid. Much like you, though, I played adepts.
Draco18s
I played a hacker. :U

Was my only 3E character.
Stahlseele
Decker.
Bigity
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 2 2014, 04:25 PM) *
I played a hacker. :U

Was my only 3E character.

Wtf is a 3e hacker, a melee adept with an axe?

wink.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Bigity @ Jan 2 2014, 04:04 PM) *
Wtf is a 3e hacker, a melee adept with an axe?

wink.gif

Troll Adept with a Dikoted No Daichi... smile.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 2 2014, 05:53 PM) *
Decker.

I played one. Whatever it was called at the time.
Almost more "rigger" than anything, but did a fair hunk of matrixy stuff because no one else could.
Sendaz
The Hackmeister 3000, a 2-handed vibroaxe with a deck built into the haft, keypad access via openable panel toward the non blade end along with a pull out data cord to plug into any system, as well as a spike on the far end that can deliver a heavy electrical discharge for a non lethal takedown or just to fry those difficult mechanical units.

Perfect for all your hacking needs. smile.gif
Stahlseele
i always preferred my butterfly scythe.
Neraph
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 2 2014, 06:25 PM) *

Imagining this as a variant of a butterfly knife is entertaining.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 2 2014, 07:25 PM) *

That would make for one bad ass grim reaper outfit in the hood.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Neraph @ Jan 3 2014, 04:32 PM) *
Imagining this as a variant of a butterfly knife is entertaining.

Blade folds down to the upper part of the shaft.
Lower part of the shaft folds up over the blade.
works like a charm! ^^
Tanegar
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 3 2014, 10:39 AM) *
Blade folds down to the upper part of the shaft.
Lower part of the shaft folds up over the blade.
works like a charm! ^^

Yes, but does enabling wireless access allow you to extend it as a Simple action instead of a Complex action? biggrin.gif
Stahlseele
We still play with Dikote.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012