Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changes to Seattle - a tunnel
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Snow_Fox
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25...el-Seattle.html

for those running in seattle this is about a problem with the highway tunnel they're digging under the city. we'll all have to change our maps
Umidori
"Mystery 'unknown object' blocks progress of huge drilling machine boring out new highway tunnel below Seattle."

I'm not saying it's aliens...

...but it's aliens. grinbig.gif

~Umi
Sengir
QUOTE (Umidori @ Dec 23 2013, 10:13 AM) *
"Mystery 'unknown object' blocks progress of huge drilling machine boring out new highway tunnel below Seattle."

I'm not saying it's aliens...

...but it's aliens. grinbig.gif

Nope, but close: http://imgur.com/x61B6jW
Sendaz
They are going to need a few more pumps if they want to try and drain that hole, one of the defenses left was feeder lines to keep it flooded in case of diggers.
qis
During the years, I met some players who passionately argued that SR is not based on our history (or something like that) and that we cannot use our knowledge/technology, etc. in the SR universe.

Example: "Digital storage and battery endurance should not be an issue. These used to be real problems when the SR3 rules were written but not today and certainly not in the future."

This argument was shrugged off because it did not comply with the description of the world in the source books. The futuristic world of SR was not "our future". Ironically, these details were introduced in the next version of the game. *grin*

How do you feel about it? Can we expect such changes like this tunnel to be present in the SR universe? Can we expect that social networks can be even more devastating to ones career than they are today? I'm definitely going to create a run centered around geo-engineering.
Snow_Fox
I suspect it might have become part of the ork underground. maybe a main forum like in ancient rome- OR something completely isolated from it.

as for changes, seriously, one of my favorite short adventures we ever had was crawling through the Kingdome's under levels looking for a missing cleaning crew-that was taken by an incubus-but they they, the real life Seattle people, blew up the freaking Kingdome! One of my favorite bits of art was the cover of NAN1- but they blew up the freaking kingdome!
Backgammon
QUOTE (qis @ Dec 26 2013, 01:58 AM) *
Ironically, these details were introduced in the next version of the game. *grin*

Which details? Batteries? How were they introduced?

How do you feel about it? Can we expect such changes like this tunnel to be present in the SR universe? Can we expect that social networks can be even more devastating to ones career than they are today? I'm definitely going to create a run centered around geo-engineering.

Well, technically, SR and our universe diverged in, oh, 1980 or something like that. All events that happen in real life now have no ebaring on Shadowrun... technically

The thing about science fiction is that if you say the worlds diverged (and they did), the SR world going through its own events, for sure those events would shape the technology and society of that world. For the most part, writers do try to imagine the logical consequences of these events. Imagine pêople walking around with magical abilities you don't well understand, but basically, they can kill you by looking at you. Scary. That will impact the development of that world. But how? It is difficult to imagine society reactions because reality is always stranger than fiction. Same goes with any sort of technology. The only thing we can do is inspire ourselves from the technological breakthroughs of the world today.

If I could have figured out that twisting buildings would reduce wind drag and thus allow construction with lighter materials, leading to bigger buildings, Id' probably be a millionaire. But I'm not that smart. So, pretty much matching today's developments, you can anticipate mentions of twisted buildings in Shadowrun as well. That's a good example of today's technology feeding into sci-fi. In theory, twisted building should have existed in Shadowrun since the first edition in the 80's, since by 2050 they would have figured that out a while ago. But, we needed to wait for a smart person to invent that in "this timeline" before it starts popping up in Shadowrun.
Sponge
QUOTE (qis @ Dec 26 2013, 01:58 AM) *

I think physical changes to locales like that are pretty much going to be subject to the whim and knowledge of a given writer. Heck, sometimes the writers don't even get long-standing physical characteristics right when a locale is represented in SR, never mind ongoing changes.
tete
Ork Underground...

There is already the buried city and the original train tunnels under the ground smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012