Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick fix for TMs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sengir
As everybody who spent five minutes reading the Matrix chapter in the BBB figured out, Technomancers in 5th Edition suck hairy troll balls. Or more precisely, their Complex Forms do. Not just has the shift from program analogues to "Matrix spells" left TMs without essential tools, what options remain are tied to ridiculous fading values (just compare Puppeteer to mind control spells).

So here is a quick houserule I though of today:
- Forget the "resonance library", CFs become the equivalent of programs again
- They can be learned as normal, such acquired CFs are always considered running
- Additionally, any other CF can be threaded with a RES + Software (3) roll. Fading is 3, +1 for every threaded CF already running (not including the newly threaded one).

Thoughts?
binarywraith
I'd go a bit further, myself, but my preference for TMs is quite literally 'updated otaku rules'.
Sengir
I think Otaku should have a comeback alongside Technomancers. No wireless shenanigans (including Echos like E-Sensing), no Threading, but no trouble with putting a bit of metal in their bodies. But for now, I'd be happy with working TMs wink.gif
kirtimlak
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jan 5 2014, 08:00 PM) *
As everybody who spent five minutes reading the Matrix chapter in the BBB figured out, Technomancers in 5th Edition suck hairy troll balls. Or more precisely, their Complex Forms do. Not just has the shift from program analogues to "Matrix spells" left TMs without essential tools, what options remain are tied to ridiculous fading values (just compare Puppeteer to mind control spells).

So here is a quick houserule I though of today:
- Forget the "resonance library", CFs become the equivalent of programs again
- They can be learned as normal, such acquired CFs are always considered running
- Additionally, any other CF can be threaded with a RES + Software (3) roll. Fading is 3, +1 for every threaded CF already running (not including the newly threaded one).

Thoughts?

Sounds legit. Should test though.
Moirdryd
I simply went for dropping Fading Values by a couple of points and doing some cool stuff with Submersion Echos... Trying to get it all written up in a postable form fr people to ake a peek at.
DMK
I've had similar thoughts, Moirdryd. Also, I'm completely in favour of changing the chargen priorities so that TMs get the same number of CFs as Mages get Spells. The disparity is stupid.
Moirdryd
There are more bits i'm looking at but this is what i feel helped TM's become more playable.

Technomancer revisions :

Resonance Library:
Reduce all Fading values by 2 to eliminate the near impossibility of using some of the Complex Forms in opposed rolls without nearly killing the TM.

Submersion and Echoes:
Most remains as is with the following exception.
Resonance [Program] becomes Resonance [Programs]: Pick 3 Programs from the Common or Hacking programs list to copy the effects of whenever you tale this Echo. The # of Resonance Programs you can use at once is equal to ½ your Resonance rounding down.
This Echo may be taken up to 2 additional times (For a total of 3 giving access to 9 program copies).

New Echoes:
Resonance Harmony [CF]: With the chosen Complex Form you may choose to take an additional Complex Action to Thread the Complex Form. If you do so you reduce the Fading Value of the CF by 1.

Sprite Sacrifice: With this Echo, whenever a Technomancer would suffer Fade (after rolling to resist) he may willingly “Crash” (that is decompile/kill) a Non-Registered Sprite he controls (that is with him in the Matrix not on a remote duty) to resist 1 additional point of Fade. Yes this can be done multiple times if you have a lot of sprites with you.

Store Complex Form: This Echo can be taken Twice. With this Echo a Technomancer can Thread a Complex Form but store the effect in his Virtual Persona for later use (The fading is dealt with at the time of Threading not release so you can Thread, Resist fade, Store and then use without any further risk later) making this Echo a powerful technique. However while a CF is stored in your Persona your Resonance is considered 1 lower. A CF can only be removed from this storage by activating it for it’s already rolled effect or letting it self delete from the Persona (a CF lasts for ½ Resonance in days before it self deletes). A successful storage of a CF can only be attempted once per day for every time you have this Echo (so maximum of 2).
NOTE: Failing to Thread a CF when attempting to use this Echo does not count as a Successful storage, so you can try again but getting a low result CF still counts so you cannot just use it and retry. The ‘day’ is 24hrs after you released a stored CF.
Sengir
QUOTE (Moirdryd @ Jan 6 2014, 02:36 PM) *
Resonance Library:
Reduce all Fading values by 2 to eliminate the near impossibility of using some of the Complex Forms in opposed rolls without nearly killing the TM.

Still too much for some (again, compare Puppeteer to mind control stuff). IMO adjusting Fading values requires individual adjustments, although -2 is certainly a good starting value for those.

For the programs, I'd give the players at least some without taking an Echo, to avoid characters just hanging around for one or two sessions until they can finally initial/submerge.
Moirdryd
Perhaps something to add to the priority chart on the TM field. X starting Program simulations or something simple like starting out with just 2 or 3 or something.
Moirdryd
Actually I've had an Idea. Going to toy a little with a concept and maybe post it in a bit...
Bigity
QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jan 5 2014, 01:06 PM) *
I'd go a bit further, myself, but my preference for TMs is quite literally 'updated otaku rules'.

Here here, they make so much more sense to me.
binarywraith
QUOTE (Bigity @ Jan 7 2014, 10:34 PM) *
Here here, they make so much more sense to me.

Makes a lot more sense than someone 'evolving' a wireless receiver/transmitter on a very specific band, that can somehow manage protocol emulation, at any rate!
Sengir
QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jan 8 2014, 03:57 PM) *
that can somehow manage protocol emulation, at any rate!

If emulation is too unrealistic for you, Otaku are also out...

Anyway, here is how I'd start making Otaku
- Start with my TM concept from above
- No Threading, sorry
- Once Data Trails is released, any Echo which requires emitting some kind of EM field (like E-Sensing, ECM...) is out
- No Compiling, either
- Instead, Sprites are called/created and registered at the same time, using the rules for Registering
- Otaku Sprites do not have inherent CFs, but may be loaded with up to L/2 CFs the character knows [Assigning attribute points sounds like an invitation for munchkinism. Reserve that option for Daemons]
- No RES loss from Essence loss, and a (wireless) Datajack is required for access.

So compared to TMs, they lose the ability to pull stuff out of their sleeves without preparation, but gain slightly more flexible Sprites and of course the ability to mount cyber without ill effects. TBH I have no idea how balanced this might be...
DMK
My thoughts on improving the lot of Technomancers has evolved over the past few months. It'll probably keep evolving. Current thoughts:

1. Change the Priority Table so that TMs get the same number of Complex Forms as Mages get spells.
  2. Change the Programs Echo so that a TM learns one Program per Submersion Grade.
  3. Allow a TM to take my revised Echo (above) at least twice.
  4. Clarify that a TM can run as many programs as their Device Rating (IE, Resonance).
  5. Bring down the Fading code. It'll have to be done on a CF by CF basis, but overall at least -2 across the board.
  6. Allow TMs to do direct connections by touching a device. (IE, Skinlink).
  7. Let a TM's Living Persona operate as the Master in a PAN.
  8. Clarify that Puppeteer can indeed force a device to do Invite Mark. biggrin.gif
  9. Change the Increase Matrix Attribute echoes so that you up all 4 at once (still limited to taking the Echo twice.)
binarywraith
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jan 8 2014, 09:34 AM) *
If emulation is too unrealistic for you, Otaku are also out...

Otaku emulating Matrix protocols that they were getting fed directly via a datajack don't bother me nearly as much as walking wireless hotspots. nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012