Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Improved Invisibility or Stealth?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
attilatheyeon
Ok, so i'm trying to choose between Improved Invis and stealth, which ever one i use is going to be an alchemical preparation. Invisibility is better in combat, but stealth is better with fewer dice and can benefit from spirit powers. So which one would you guys choose?
DrZaius
You're not going to like this answer, but flip a coin. It's only 5 karma to pick up a new spell. If you made me pick I'd go with stealth, just because you can pair it with physical mask and blend in without being invisible.
SpellBinder
Not being seen or not being heard. Conditional to me, depending on what you're expecting more to have to deal with, and if you're looking to deal with technology the drain's the same.
attilatheyeon
Ya, that's how i saw it. I was hoping you guys had some ideas i wasn't seeing. Anyways, i was leaning towards stealth because the spirit power nondetection (is that the right name) works with it. Unless it works with invisibility too?
DrZaius
QUOTE (attilatheyeon @ Jan 13 2014, 07:08 AM) *
Ya, that's how i saw it. I was hoping you guys had some ideas i wasn't seeing. Anyways, i was leaning towards stealth because the spirit power nondetection (is that the right name) works with it. Unless it works with invisibility too?

"Concealment subtracts a number of dice equal to the critter’s Magic from any Perception Tests to locate the concealed subject."

I'd say that works for sight as well.

-DrZ
toturi
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jan 13 2014, 10:20 PM) *
"Concealment subtracts a number of dice equal to the critter’s Magic from any Perception Tests to locate the concealed subject."

I'd say that works for sight as well.

-DrZ

Agreed. Concealment should work with Improved Invisibility as well. I would go for both spells if karma allows.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (toturi @ Jan 13 2014, 06:48 PM) *
Agreed. Concealment should work with Improved Invisibility as well. I would go for both spells if karma allows.

Should work with Chameleon Armor as well... *sigh*
Modular Man
Yeah. Been there, fought an enemy who enforced that combo. He was pretty hard to find, but the tracker/shapeshifter located him by smell smile.gif

I'd pick Improved Invisibility over Stealth (though I really like Stealth and my mage employs both).
Every GM I played with so far allowed for a skill check to move silently while being invisible, but being absolutely silent and standing right in the middle of the room (even with concealment) might have been another call. Check with you GM first to avoid that can of worms.
That said, Stealth does a great trick to keep extracted targets silent while in your trunk. The aforementioned combination of concealment and chameleon coating also makes people pretty much invisible and there's no equivalent to chameleon coating /-4 to visual perception) for sound.
Food for thought: Can the spell silence a weapon whose projectiles move with less than speed of sound (and thus create not much sound themselves)?
Snow_Fox
it gets into the fuzzy part of the play but I'd prefer stealth, you're still being evasive but it doesn't rely soley on the magic to get by AND has the advantage of hiding you from people not in LOS.
toturi
QUOTE (Modular Man @ Jan 15 2014, 01:20 AM) *
Yeah. Been there, fought an enemy who enforced that combo. He was pretty hard to find, but the tracker/shapeshifter located him by smell smile.gif

I'd pick Improved Invisibility over Stealth (though I really like Stealth and my mage employs both).
Every GM I played with so far allowed for a skill check to move silently while being invisible, but being absolutely silent and standing right in the middle of the room (even with concealment) might have been another call. Check with you GM first to avoid that can of worms.
That said, Stealth does a great trick to keep extracted targets silent while in your trunk. The aforementioned combination of concealment and chameleon coating also makes people pretty much invisible and there's no equivalent to chameleon coating /-4 to visual perception) for sound.
Food for thought: Can the spell silence a weapon whose projectiles move with less than speed of sound (and thus create not much sound themselves)?

SR4 but it may be applicable. Olfactory camouflage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012