Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TV that is close to Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Stormdrake
Watched Helix over the weekend and the whole show screams evil megacorporation. The corporation in the show is even operating a base in international territory to avoid government ovesite or control. Gonna have to watch it to see where they go but the premise is pretty mineable for Shadowrun run ideas and visual examples of hostile enviroment bases.
Tanegar
The two shows that together form the televisual bible of Shadowrun are Burn Notice and Leverage. Neither have sci-fi or fantasy elements, but if you want ideas on how a run might really go down, there are damned few better sources.
Smash
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jan 16 2014, 02:24 PM) *
The two shows that together form the televisual bible of Shadowrun are Burn Notice and Leverage. Neither have sci-fi or fantasy elements, but if you want ideas on how a run might really go down, there are damned few better sources.

Yes, Leverage is a great show. More sci-fi examples might be Continuum, Agents of Shield and Almost Human. Continuum wasn't to my taste. It shows glimpses of greatness but then focuses on the boring bits. I'm not sure if it's even still on to be honest.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jan 16 2014, 12:24 AM) *

Yeah, if only Sam Axel was a dwarf face (you know, with a chin like that, he SHOULD be a dwarf, Fiona as the sexy Elf trigger-happy girlfriend, it would make a GREAT shadowrun show cyber.gif
Ha, I had stopped watching the show because of time constraints, now I have to see if I can watch it on netflix.
Tanegar
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jan 16 2014, 07:28 AM) *
Yeah, if only Sam Axel was a dwarf face (you know, with a chin like that, he SHOULD be a dwarf, Fiona as the sexy Elf trigger-happy girlfriend, it would make a GREAT shadowrun show cyber.gif
Ha, I had stopped watching the show because of time constraints, now I have to see if I can watch it on netflix.

I'm half-convinced that Gabrielle Anwar is a spike baby with the Human-Looking Quality. She just turned 43, and hasn't visibly aged in twenty years. O.o
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jan 16 2014, 02:19 PM) *
I'm half-convinced that Gabrielle Anwar is a spike baby with the Human-Looking Quality. She just turned 43, and hasn't visibly aged in twenty years. O.o

She' 43? eek.gif
*goes to IMDB to confirm
And mother of 3?
Yeah, either a spike-baby or she makes sacrifices to and Eldritch Power in exchange for youth.
Bigity
Or the dark elf witch bit and bathes in the blood of virgins.
tyusmax
I love Continuum.

The format on how it operates is not close to shadowrun.

However, the background of the future that Rachel Nichols comes from is very shadowrun. Dystopian future that is run by corporations. They even have a Corporate Council to mediate things.

And she gets awesome headware. Helps her see things, records everything she does, projects vectors, etc... She even has a datajack that people plug into sometimes to access things.

It's a very interesting show to me. I recommend it.
Daddy's Little Ninja
my husband and I tried agents of shield but it just didn't hold us. Which is pretty much it's problem overall.

If you can find the dvd the 2007 version of Bionic woman is a pretty good fit for SR with evil corps and cyberware.

DMK
While not as gritty, and with android tech far beyond Shadowrun, Almost Human has a lot of SR-like stuff.

I agree with tyusmax, the future portrayed by Continuum is very SR-like. I'm a big fan of the show.

Patrick Goodman
I really dig Agents of SHIELD, but not as SR source material. One of the shows I like for that kinda thing is The Blacklist, for the crime/investigation/no-one-is-who-they-seem aspects of it. That, and James Spader just rocks the universe in this one.
KCKitsune
As I said in another thread, the new CBS show Intelligence is pretty good with regards to how someone with a cybercommlink/Displaylink would see the world.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jan 17 2014, 12:31 PM) *
As I said in another thread, the new CBS show Intelligence is pretty good with regards to how someone with a cybercommlink/Displaylink would see the world.

It is pretty good. I have enjoyed it so far. smile.gif
Medicineman
its maybe a bit Oldschool, but what about Dark Angel ?

http://akas.imdb.com/title/tt0204993/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

He who'd like to Dance with Jessica Alba
Medicineman
Sendaz
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Jan 18 2014, 03:55 AM) *
Medicineman

Pity we can not retrophotoshop some scenes with Max gibbslapping Logan in the back of the head. nyahnyah.gif
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Jan 18 2014, 04:55 AM) *
its maybe a bit Oldschool, but what about Dark Angel ?

http://akas.imdb.com/title/tt0204993/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Medicineman

Yeah. It was an awesome show too. Too bad it was so short.
And yah, we'd all like to dance with Jessica Alba too wink.gif
child of insanity
Another good one is Human target. I've 'borrowed' lots of ideas for runs, characters and NPC's from that show. It's unfortunate it only ran 2 seasons :/
Tanegar
QUOTE (child of insanity @ Jan 23 2014, 09:06 PM) *
Another good one is Human target. I've 'borrowed' lots of ideas for runs, characters and NPC's from that show. It's unfortunate it only ran 2 seasons :/

Good call. I just rewatched the first episode of that the other day; great stuff. I can't understand why neither of Mark Valley's shows lasted. I don't think Keen Eddie even got one full season under its belt.
Lobo0705
May be an odd choice, but Caprica also had a lot of Shadowrun like things in it - although it didn't last.

Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jan 24 2014, 12:23 AM) *
Good call. I just rewatched the first episode of that the other day; great stuff. I can't understand why neither of Mark Valley's shows lasted. I don't think Keen Eddie even got one full season under its belt.

True. Mark Valley might have some kind of curse where if he ever becomes the protagonist of a show, that show won't last. Keend Eddie was a nice show. Too bad it didn't last...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Jan 23 2014, 08:54 PM) *
May be an odd choice, but Caprica also had a lot of Shadowrun like things in it - although it didn't last.

Caprica was cool...
Black List is pretty awesome too (though I am still catching up on it)...
child of insanity
I love blacklist. Raymond Reddington is definitely a fixer you don't frag with. good run ideas there as well. although it's generally being viewed from the other side...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (child of insanity @ Jan 24 2014, 10:01 AM) *
I love blacklist. Raymond Reddington is definitely a fixer you don't frag with. good run ideas there as well. although it's generally being viewed from the other side...

Indeed... James Spader is amazing. And his portrayal of Raymond Reddington is a phenomenal performance to watch.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jan 24 2014, 11:02 AM) *
Indeed... James Spader is amazing. And his portrayal of Raymond Reddington is a phenomenal performance to watch.

That's pretty much Spader in anything. I actually like to imagine that Blacklist actually takes place in the same universe as Pretty in Pink and that Spader is playing the same character in both.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Jan 24 2014, 10:05 AM) *
That's pretty much Spader in anything. I actually like to imagine that Blacklist actually takes place in the same universe as Pretty in Pink and that Spader is playing the same character in both.

Yeah, he is pretty great at what he does.
Heh... Interesting Premise. smile.gif
Bigity
I dunno, I like Blacklist even though my wife tells me to stop pointing out the hilarious inaccuracies (which I tend to do with any show), but I'm not sure I understand all the Spader love. I always though he was mediocre at best. Except in Mannequin. And Dream Lover - wait that was because of Madchen Amick I liked that movie.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012