Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Skilljacks, Skillwires, and Riggers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sponge
I was mulling over Skilljacks and when they might be useful (with and without skillwires), and I had the thought that although the Skilljack description says that Active skills require Skillwires, the way I understand the concept behind the rules is that the skilljack needs to send encoded signals to some electronics without the brain getting in the way. So, if a Rigger was jumped into a Drone or other Device, wouldn't that Device equally be able to process those Skilljack signals, given the right programming? Sure, the Rigger wouldn't be able to use those Active skills in the meat without the wiring, but it seems like it would give a little extra utility to a piece of unloved 'ware, and saves the Rigger from having to invest extra in Skillwires just so they can slump limply and immobile somewhere while controlling some exotic piece of hardware.

Lobo0705
I'm sorry, I'm a little confused as to what you are asking. Could you give a specific example?
Draco18s
I think he's asking if he can use Skilljack without Skillwires for active skills while jumped into a drone. Eg. Gunnery.
Lobo0705
So, in other words, buy a Skilljack, buy a Perception Activesoft, jump into a drone, and instead of using Pilot + Clearsight [Sensor] to make the drone's perception test, somehow rewire the drone so that it can use Pilot + the Perception Activesoft [Sensor]?

Sponge
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Jan 16 2014, 12:06 PM) *
So, in other words, buy a Skilljack, buy a Perception Activesoft, jump into a drone, and instead of using Pilot + Clearsight [Sensor] to make the drone's perception test, somehow rewire the drone so that it can use Pilot + the Perception Activesoft [Sensor]?

The way I understand Rigging in SR5 (it's a little vague - surprise!) is that when a Rigger is jumped in, they use their own skills instead of the Drone's Autosofts. So it would be, Buy a Skilljack, jump into a drone, use your Activesoft without Skillwires while jumped into the Drone because the Drone already provides all the wiring you need (although maybe the RCC would need an extra program to translate). Leave the drone and the Activesoft becomes useless to the Rigger's meat body (beyond subbing as a Knowledge Skill).

EDIT: From the Gear section, Activesofts: "A skillwire system is needed to translate the 'softs into usable muscle memory." I think that pretty much answers my question - the Control Rig requires muscle impulse input , but the Skilljack doesn't provide that, that comes from the Skillwires. So it wouldn't work. Oh well smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012