Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cyberware question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Valium
What happens to illegal (or legal if you're entitled to it) cyberware after you're arrested and imprisoned? Something like spurs or handblades are quite obvious but what about smartlinks & wired reflexes?
BitBasher
If it is illegal it is removed immediately upon conviction, and you are charged for the surgery according to the Lone Star Sourcebook.

It's also entirely likey that depending on what you did to piss them off they they very well may not take the "essence hole" option during the removal.
Zazen
In my game they open you up and disable it all in a semipermanent way. You have to pay a lot to get it all repaired, but not as much as getting all new implants.
booklord
More than likely they'll just remove or damage enough to make it useless.

For example with arm spurs they'll likely remove the blades but leave the bone reinforcement behind.

Same with Wired Reflexes. The wire system will probably be left alone by a number of crucial processors are pulled out. Heck they might even just stick a high current needle into some those processors and burn them out. ( particularly with beta or delta grade. They're not going to pay to have someone who can remove cyberware that advanced. )

For a smartlink they'll just pull out the interface pad from your hand. ( Surgery is expensive and its unlikely they'll get much out of the shadowrunner )

Heck there are some cyberware packages out there where they might just say to heck with it. How do you remove Boosted Reflexes, Bone Lacing, or Reaction Enhancers without crippling the patient or investing in some serious genetic therapy or nano-surgery. The character had best just get used to the following words: Solitary confinement.

Another tricky one would be the Move-by-Wire System. I'm not sure you can turn that thing off without turning the owner into a vegetable. In that case I suspect your fate depends on whether Lone Star has an interest in keeping you alive and coherent or not.
Nikoli
With such cyber, there is an ecomonic solution, similair to solitary:
implant datajack, hook into simsense with no ability to user override. you live out your sentence with what ever programmed reality your jailer decides.
Gem the Troll
If you look in man and machine and the SR3, there's a bunch of different types of restraining devices that are available for purchase. But if that's not enough, maybe we should try to get FanPro and WizKids to put out a LS Catalog. For all you Law Enforcement (or whatever) needs. There's probably going to be permit requirements to order anything, but it would be a cool resource to have.
Voran
As you can imagine, there's a few ways to handle it. As a GM totally screwing that street sam character out of his million dollar cyberjob because he managed to get arrested, seems more than a little heavy handed.

On some levels, I'd think LS, and by proxy I guess, UCAS or CAS would see it fairly cost effective to keep cybergear in the particular prisoner, and turn them into an asset. Especially a Player Character rated shadowrunner with the million+ nuyen body.

We know that LS has restraints that prevent use of cyber blades, another variant could probably be something wrapped around the convict's neck which induces pain whenever it senses nerve impulses to use any enhanced cyber functions: muscles, speed, etc. Headgear stuff is more or less easily jammed by other LS toys.
Abstruse
Also remember that if you're arrested and you don't have a SIN, you're SOL anyway. They can pretty much do whatever the hell they want with/to you because you don't exist. You're not part of the system. And if you think what they could possibly do to a samurai is bad, read the Lone Star book for what they DO do to magic users, even with a SIN...I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy...

The Abstruse One
Erebus
Abstruse, for those of us who haven't yet gotten there hands on a copy of Lone Star, what DO they do to mages?

In a similar vein I had a question in another thread: how do airlines & airport security deal with mages?

Smiley
All LS should do is toss you into a cell with an equally cybered troll and let the troll make you into his bitch. I know I'd be a little more cautious about misbehaving if Mongo was going to be throwing parties in my rectum.

reminds me of this one session where one of the PCs fell asleep and was at the GM's mercy...
Zazen
See, my players would make the troll their bitch. Yeah, some people get raped, but other people are doing the raping.
Kanada Ten
Long term Mage punishment is mentioned in MitS. They remove the part of your brain that makes magic work. Or they install a datajack, and feed you simsense training on basket weaving.

Airports probably have warded gates and astrally assensing guards, but planes would get an unmarked Magic passenger for security. Maybe not on every flight. The cabins on planes are probably very secure in 2060, not to mention high-tech.

Of course Lone Star would remove cyberware. Where do you think all the HTR teams get it from wink.gif
I Eat Time
There's also Mage Masks. Which don't completely prevent you from doing magic, but they make it damn hard, and you'll take drain whether you succeed or fail.

Smiley - Yeah, this is why I drink caffeinated beverages when we play. Despite the fact that my character is an ugly, ugly ghoul, I don't think his reputation could take a hit like being gangbanged by The Spikes.
Kakkaraun
QUOTE (Zazen)
See, my players would make the troll their bitch. Yeah, some people get raped, but other people are doing the raping.

Bubba the Love Troll. When you get loved by Bubba, you STAY loved.
Smiley
QUOTE (I Eat Time)
Despite the fact that my character is an ugly, ugly ghoul, I don't think his reputation could take a hit like being gangbanged by The Spikes.

That's an idea...

Just wait for tomorrow.
Mr. Man
QUOTE (Voran @ May 3 2004, 09:17 PM)
As you can imagine, there's a few ways to handle it.  As a GM totally screwing that street sam character out of his million dollar cyberjob because he managed to get arrested, seems more than a little heavy handed.

It doesn't seem heavy handed to me. The LS rules are pretty clear about what happens to cybered cons. Sure, you can ignore them or skirt them ("Good thing you weren't apprehended by Lone Star") but if you're going by the book, getting arrested is definitely not some cute adventure hook where Andy Griffith gives the PC a stern talking to and makes him do free runs.

The areas the 'Star patrols heavily are common knowledge. Any runner worthy of the name should have dice in police procedures (or similar). When it comes to Lone Star, runners have no excuse for not knowing the risks and doing the homework needed to eliminate or at least drastically reduce the possibility of being arrested.

If you're a runner dodging the cops is what you do.
Zazen
QUOTE (Kakkaraun)
Bubba the Love Troll. When you get loved by Bubba, you STAY loved.

Yeah, but you can love him right back wink.gif
Kakkaraun
...you just have to hope he'll actually notice it. biggrin.gif
Tziluthi
Most people notice a missing eye and a sore optical cavity. smile.gif
Zazen
Nice cool.gif
Paul
QUOTE (Valium)
What happens to illegal (or legal if you're entitled to it) cyberware after you're arrested and imprisoned? Something like spurs or handblades are quite obvious but what about smartlinks & wired reflexes?

I work in a maximum security prison, and I think I am safe in saying that any offensive weapons, cyberware, wet ware and or magic would be disabled and/or destroyed/removed. Just how I think would depend on what Nation State we're discussing here.
Cain
As you can imagine, there's a few ways to handle it. As a GM totally screwing that street sam character out of his million dollar cyberjob because he managed to get arrested, seems more than a little heavy handed.

Well, if he has a SIN, or somehow manages to get a competent lawyer, he's safe until he's actually convicted. Basically, it's a useful threat to hold over the characters heads: "You've been caught. If you don't make it out, this is what's going to happen to you." It can lead to all kinds of roleplay opportunities as the character tries to either escape or wriggle loose on a technicality.

I've never had to enforce it, as no PC in my games ever stayed caught long enough to be convicted. But it was quite the motivation. Bubba the Love troll was just added incentive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012