Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Knife-Gun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
nezumi
A player is looking to make a physical adept using knives, but would like a handgun built in so he gets off that one shot before entering into close combat range. For a larger weapon, the answer would be a bayonet, but that doesn't seem appropriate for a handgun where the vectors are totally different.

Has anyone approached the subject before? Is such a device workable? What would be the stats?
DrZaius
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jan 21 2014, 10:18 AM) *
A player is looking to make a physical adept using knives, but would like a handgun built in so he gets off that one shot before entering into close combat range. For a larger weapon, the answer would be a bayonet, but that doesn't seem appropriate for a handgun where the vectors are totally different.

Has anyone approached the subject before? Is such a device workable? What would be the stats?

I'm fuzzy on remembering the specialization rules for SR3, but if it's like 4th/5th (+2 dice? -2 TN for SR3 maybe?) I'd say that firing a pistol with a bayonet / knife attached is a -2 Penalty. Basically, allow him to negate the negative by being specialized in the weapon itself.

-DrZ
Sendaz
Actually this has been handled a few different ways, all depends on how you want it.

from another site was a nice idea if a bit flashy....

Mallorean Arms Gunblade
The BladeGun is a semi-automatic heavy pistol with a large crescent shaped knife-blade attached in front of the trigger guard and grip. Also called the Samurai handgun, it incorporates styling found on the grips of katanas and Japanese kanji down the side of the slide and blade.

This pistol can accept only top and barrel mounts, the underbarrel mount taken up by the blade. The underbarrel weight of the blade gives the gun 1 point of recoil compensation.

Weapon: Blade Reach Con Weight Damage Cost Avail Index
Mallorean Gunblade 0 5 3.0 (STR+2)L 7,000nĄ 14/14 days 2

Weapon: Gun Con Mode Ammo Range Damage
Mallorean Gunblade 5 SA 20 Heavy Pistol 8M

A pair of these with adequate training in gun-fu and you got yourself some MA fun, mixing blades and bullets in any fight. The blade also acts as a partial guard for the hand so can be used for defense as well though I would personally weld on a bit of a bar at the bottom of the blade to meet the handle of the gun for pinky protection, but that is just me.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jan 21 2014, 10:50 AM) *
Actually this has been handled a few different ways, all depends on how you want it.

from another site was a nice idea if a bit flashy....

Mallorean Arms Gunblade

Ahh, Reinhart's custom Berettas from Blade II. Loved the look of those.

Fun fact: the movie props were recycled from the Lawgiver pistols in the first Judge Dredd movie.

-k
Brazilian_Shinobi
Like this?
Sendaz
Will a chainsaw do?

They offer a 'Hers' model too nyahnyah.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jan 21 2014, 04:42 PM) *

That's what instantly sprang to mind, but I mean ... really. Really?

QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jan 21 2014, 05:03 PM) *
Will a chainsaw do?

They offer a 'Hers' model too nyahnyah.gif

That's what *I* would go for. Back when I first tried SR4, I played the Rocker archetype, armed with a keytar and an underbarrel chainsaw.

These days, people ask what special powers the Rocker has. Geez...

The Mallorean arms looks good, thank you! Being a total arm-chair gun-knower person, I have no idea if it would actually be at all effective. Would it have a penalty to gunning/knifing?
Sendaz
I do not see anything about the model itself that would rule out it's effectiveness, though as mentioned I would connect the opening the bottom to protect the pinky and maybe a bit of a basket hilt/finger guard to cover the fingers a bit more, especially as you are looking to focus a bit on the bladework.

Especially if you parry/block an opponent's weapon and it slides down along your blade, good way to lose some fingers otherwise

It's a slashing weapon as you really can't do a decent center mass stab unless it's wielded by a Troll or a Cybered up Sammy, but then these two can also just pick up a brick and stab it through a body...... Course a bullet does nicely for stabbing that way. nyahnyah.gif

I would probably require a specialization (or even exotic maybe?) for it's handling as it would be a bit different for the bladework than most blades, but again having both blade and firearm in a close quarter fight just is too awesome to pass up.

And dual wielding is a must if for just the looks alone. smile.gif

Slitting throats and shooting out kneecaps, yeah... good times.
Sponge
You guys are all going at this the wrong way. The character is a knife fighter, not a pistolero - he needs a gun he can shoot from a knife grip, not a knife he can wield from a pistol grip.

I'm certainly no weapons expert, but I imagine you could probably squeeze a one-shot holdout into the handle of a knife and fire it out the pommel using a customized firing mechanism (with terrible accuracy, and I hope you've got an grip of iron). But really, given the (lack of) power and range of a holdout pistol, he may as well go for throwing knives instead.

A tazer might work better than an actual gun, it would have less recoil/grip issues. Not sure how those work in SR3 though.

Grak
It's been done before.

http://www.baytree-interiors.co.uk/_assets...giant/G1204.jpg

I agree with you on the holdout. One shot, hand loaded.
KarmaInferno
Gunblade?

-k
Sponge
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jan 22 2014, 01:29 PM) *

The one with the underblade-mounted blade scores extra points for wtf.

Still, there do seem to be some historical examples: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_sword
bannockburn
How about this one?
http://raben-aas.deviantart.com/art/Shadow...n-Gun-113195610

It's statted in Gun H(e)aven 2, the Nemesis Arms Praetorian

Edit: Should be easy enough to construct with SR3 CC rules. It has melee hardening and a fixed bayonet, ruleswise.
nezumi
It has been too long ... I totally forgot about the CC gun creation rules!
bannockburn
Often a good thing wink.gif

Concealment 9 assault rifles and the like.
Wounded Ronin
Apache pistol?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_pistol
Stahlseele
how come NOBODY mentioned THIS yet?
http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/t...33092823939.jpg
KarmaInferno
Bladegun?

-k
KCKitsune
OK why not just get power throw at level 3 and missile mastery and the adept can throw knives with the power of a gun. Now factor in Way of the Warrior and he can get Missile Mastery for a discount.

Hell if he gets a cougar fine blade it will even have the an AP of -1.

No need to carry guns at all.
bannockburn
SR3.
Stahlseele
Under SR3, throwing weapons was even easier for Adepts if i remember correctly
KCKitsune
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Jan 23 2014, 04:38 PM) *
SR3.

My mistake.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jan 23 2014, 02:36 PM) *
OK why not just get power throw at level 3 and missile mastery and the adept can throw knives with the power of a gun. Now factor in Way of the Warrior and he can get Missile Mastery for a discount.

Hell if he gets a cougar fine blade it will even have the an AP of -1.

No need to carry guns at all.

Works great in SR4A... smile.gif
Have a Classical Ninja with that very theme (though he prefers shuriken to knives, and follows the Way of the Artist instead of Way of the Warrior). smile.gif
PraetorGradivus
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Jan 23 2014, 03:25 PM) *

Deleaxhe Apache 7mm pistol is probably more his style as it's a single fire pepperbox rather than a revolver that is shown in this wiki.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012