Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Info on the Big Easy
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
child of insanity
I'm about to take the campaign to New Orleans, and was wondering where I can find info on it. I've found little bits in Target: Smuggler Havens and CyberPirates! along with a little in Target: UCAS but it's not a whole lot. Anyone know where I can find more?
Jack VII
I think that's most of it. Basically: smuggling, some voodoo, some vampire stuff, and the Krewes as crime syndicates. Considering New Orleans was runner up to Atlanta for the CAS capitol of the CAS, you would think they would develop it a little more.

Not sure if it is ever mentioned, but it would definitely not be out of place for swarms and swarms of cockroach insect spirits.
bannockburn
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Feb 11 2014, 02:06 AM) *
I think that's most of it. Basically: smuggling, some voodoo, some vampire stuff, and the Krewes as crime syndicates. Considering New Orleans was runner up to Atlanta for the CAS capitol of the CAS, you would think they would develop it a little more.

Not sure if it is ever mentioned, but it would definitely not be out of place for swarms and swarms of cockroach insect spirits.

Yup, that's it, to my knowledge.
Also, NO is mentioned in Conspiracy Theories as being the location of a large colonie of insect spirits. Page 35.
Sendaz
Tabloids like the CyberSun also run articles about 'lizardmen' in some of the far flung bayous around the area, though whether that is just Gator Shaman with a Mask up or a whole other species has never been confirmed....

If you are going out in the deep parts, get a guide. One, they will know the area because the terrain itself can be a hazard as well as a maze. Secondly is language, some areas have such variance in dialects normal languagesofts are useless and locals like to make you sweat it out sometimes when negotiating.
child of insanity
Really? that's it? Wow, considering how often it's mentioned I'd have thought they'd have done something with it. Oh well, guess I just have to do what I usually do and make drek up wink.gif I like the roach spirits idea... I'm also assuming Gator has a large presence down there, especially around the bayous.
RHat
Gets a short write-up in SWA, but not much detail in there.
Jack VII
If you need any IRL tips, let me know.
child of insanity
All the tips you can give me would be great. I'm sure while quite a bit would change with the awakening, a lot of the core pieces wouldn't have changed too much. So please, tips would be great. Any suggestions would also be appreciated. Playing in seattle was easy, I grew up on Vancouver island. There isn't a whole lot of difference. But New Orleans is different from anything I've ever seen or experienced. Closest I could say I've come to that sort of area is Cairns in Queensland...
Also, what's SWA?
Kesendeja
I think it's Sixth World Almanac
I also remember New Orleans being done in the pages of the old white wolf magazine. Issues 31 - 35.
Jack VII
Damnit, my browser crashed! So, you're getting the short version. Check whatever cannon is available in case anything conflicts.
-New Orleans is pretty timeless. I would honestly be surprised if it felt much different in 2075 as it does in 2014.
- French Quarter: Big toursit area with some of the oldest and most recognizable buildings in the city. IRL, the homeowners (Vieux Carre) fight constantly with the businesses. I would laugh if the megas basically put the kabosh on all that and the area was known as the Corp Quarter now. Probably a soild security presence, either official or privately contracted.
- Central Business District (CBD)/Warehouse District: Across Canal Street from the Quarter. This is where all of your corp enclaves are probably going to be. Also, the Superdome if it is still around. Probably has one of the tightest security ratings (I wouldn't be surprised if it was walled off, to be honest).
- Fauborg Marigny: Hipster-like neighborhood to the east of the French Quarter with cool/eclectic shops and bars.
- Treme: Lower-income area across Rampart Street from the Quarter. Lots of great musicians call this place home.
- Uptown: Vaguely defined area somewhat north and west of the Quarter and CBD. Mostly nice neighborhoods and residential. Some of the older graveyards are here (and remember that New Orleans has almost entirely above ground gravesites and mausoleums due to the sea-level disconnect).
- Mid-City: Similar to Uptown in a way, with less trees.
- West Bank: It's sort of like New Jersey to NYC (geographically, it's also mostly south of New Orleans). Even has the accents. I would bet a lot of the Barrens and/or smuggling operations are working out of there.

It's almost certain that street cars are going to still be operating, which adds a nice touch.

IRL, the oldest Mardi Gras krewes are basically high society organizations and consist of the powers that be of the City. It seems natural that they would transform into a quasi-organized crime element.

Given the state of coastal erosion, the Gulf of Aztlan might be a stone's throw away from New Orleans by 2075.

I think an interesting facet to add would be a spirit war between cockroach spirits and spirits of man in New Orlenas. If there is anywhere on earth where the mana levels are high enough to currently host spirits of man, it would be New Orleans, and they would be awesome (spiritual second-lines, little free spirits playing trumpet in Jackson Square, etc).
JesterZero
Some info here: http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/New_Orleans

Searching the wiki for "New Orleans" brings up some tangential stuff as well, much of it Mafia-related.
Sendaz
You may want to try getting your hands on a used copy of a book titled 'Pedestrian Wolves' by James L. Grant.

In Pedestrian Wolves, David Livingstone goes to New Orleans for the first time on Halloween of 2002. He’s an extremely hedonistic, agnostic man in his late twenties, and his brand of angry, life-embracing and destruction-flirting "fun" always results in a bit of a public ruckus when he cuts loose.
Sounds likes a runner off the clock. nyahnyah.gif

After his first night in the French Quarter, David begins to hear a presence in his mind, an ethereal spirit that communicates directly to him. At first it merely describes strange facts and history of the city as he walks ever onward through its streets. Soon it is obvious to David that he is hearing the voice of the City of New Orleans itself, a strange entity that leads him through some of the wildest days of his life while on the vacation.

aand he might be a shaman.....

Okay, it's not SR, but if you want atmosphere ....

Plus if you are going to be in New Orleans, your runners can not be on the clock the whole time. wink.gif
Hocus Pocus
Don't forget the political corruption! yeah its everywhere but sweet lady gumbo has been head and shoulders above most other areas. That will never go away i'm afraid. Neither will Mardi Gras though, went to a few parades, was nice but cold so the hot babes didn't really have revealing outfits on frown.gif
Jack VII
QUOTE (Hocus Pocus @ Mar 5 2014, 11:22 PM) *
Don't forget the political corruption! yeah its everywhere but sweet lady gumbo has been head and shoulders above most other areas. That will never go away i'm afraid. Neither will Mardi Gras though, went to a few parades, was nice but cold so the hot babes didn't really have revealing outfits on frown.gif

This is true. I'm not sure if any New Orleans Mayor in the last three decades (save Mitch, the current one) has not been under indictment or investigation for corruption at some point in time (Nagin, the Mayor during Katrina, was just convicted for graft). Police corruption is pretty bad down there too.

Saturday this year was great weather for a ride. My eyes saw many wonders that day. The krewes are also a great source of drama. Just pulling from RL, it wouldn't surprise me if many of the (non-criminal) krewes stopped parading if New Orleans forced them to adopt a non-discrimantory policy for metahumans. This happened IRL when krewes were forced to desegregate in order to parade on public streets. A few of them just packed up shop and stopped parading in public, they just hold their facnypants balls. It's mostly a high society thing.
Wakshaani
The newest information is in Dirty Tricks, in the Dirty South section by the by.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012