Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electronic Warfare beats Clearsight
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
BlackJaw
There is both a Clearsight Autosoft, which acts as perception for drones, and an Electronic Warfare autosoft, which explicitly works like the Electronic Warfare skill.

The Electronic Warfare skill can be used in place of perception when using a sensor. (I don't have the page number handy, but it's in an odd spot like the Sensor section of gear, not the skill chapter.) Sensors are all drones have to observe the world with, so that works just fine.

The end result is that there really isn't a reason to take Clearsight on a drone. Electronic Warfare does the same job, and allows sensor aided targeting options.

In fact, if later books provide drones with signal jammers, it will let them use those to (current drones don't have the matirx attributes to Jam Signals.)
Jack VII
As of right now, they seem pretty interchangeable. The Sensor Attacks section indicates vehicles (and one would presume drones) use Pilot + Clearsight [Sensor] for sensor tests (unless this was changed in the errata which I don't have handy). Presumably EW could sub here?

One thing to note, the section where they talk about EW subbing for Perception, it states it is for Perception Tests (both capitalized). I guess someone could argue that doesn't apply to Sensor Attack tests? (Of course, then why would anyone take EW over clearsight...)

I dunno, still trying to figure out the reason to have both of them given the rules.
Sendaz
Want a new rigger book, but don't want to trigger a new edition when it comes out. nyahnyah.gif
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Feb 21 2014, 07:15 AM) *
Want a new rigger book, but don't want to trigger a new edition when it comes out. nyahnyah.gif

Here's your new rigger book *Hands over Rigger 5*.

See, nothing to wor-
*Catalyst announces Shadowrun 6th edition*
Dammit!
Sendaz
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Feb 20 2014, 07:18 PM) *
Here's your new rigger book *Hands over Rigger 5*.

See, nothing to wor-
*Catalyst announces Shadowrun 6th edition*
Dammit!

They should totally do that for this years April Fool's

Announce Rigger 5 is available, but when you download it and open it, it says 6th Edition inside. nyahnyah.gif
Sengir
Hm, maybe call it Rigger 4 but with dual stats to dodge the curse? biggrin.gif
Smash
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Feb 21 2014, 10:12 AM) *
As of right now, they seem pretty interchangeable. The Sensor Attacks section indicates vehicles (and one would presume drones) use Pilot + Clearsight [Sensor] for sensor tests (unless this was changed in the errata which I don't have handy). Presumably EW could sub here?

One thing to note, the section where they talk about EW subbing for Perception, it states it is for Perception Tests (both capitalized). I guess someone could argue that doesn't apply to Sensor Attack tests? (Of course, then why would anyone take EW over clearsight...)

I dunno, still trying to figure out the reason to have both of them given the rules.

I seem to remember that this applies to Riggers who jump-in to drones. Since a drone can't jump into itself I assume it can't use EW for perception tests.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Smash @ Feb 21 2014, 06:56 PM) *
I seem to remember that this applies to Riggers who jump-in to drones. Since a drone can't jump into itself I assume it can't use EW for perception tests.

Looking at the rules in the Sensor section where the rule is found, it is silent about it only applying to riggers. In fact, the implication seems to be that any character can sub EW for Perception when using a sensor array to make a Perception Test (for instance, a radar operator). Thinking about it, I wouldn't even have a problem with EW being required to use sensors in the first place (i.e. no Perception skill use when you're operating a sonar or whatever).
BlackJaw
QUOTE (Smash @ Feb 21 2014, 07:56 PM) *

Actually it only requires a Sensory Array. Page 445: "When you use the sensor array for Perception Tests, you may use your Electronic Warfare skill in place of your Perception skill, and you may use the sensor’s Rating as your limit."

Drones have a sensor array, but the rule isn't limited to them. It also looks like the rules do apply to a Drone because the Autosoft listing on page 269: "Electronic Warfare: Exactly like the Electronic Warfare skill." and this is a valid use for Electronic Warfare.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012