Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Officer Alex Murphy
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DrZaius
So,

With the release of a new Robocop movie, it is inevitable that you will find a number of players who have interest in playing everyone's favorite cyberzombie. I know I personally have noodled around with the idea in the past. I am starting this thread as a clearing house of those builds. Post *your* Robocop, and see how he stacks up with the competition. This thread is system agnostic; just be sure to indicate which version you're running at the front of the post.

For SR5, I think it would be useful to also categorize the characters into "Standard" and "Prime" runners. After all, OCP has significant resources to build a new crime fighter for the 21st century, it stands to reason they wouldn't necessarily be restrained by an availability of 12.

One request I have; I know people are interested in making sure they get the maximum number of build points for their characters, but no 'My Robocop has a soy allergy' nonsense. Use your best judgement.

Let it begin!
DrZaius
Saved (for my Robocop, of course!)
-DrZ
SpellBinder
Always thought of Robocop (both versions) as more of a jarhead than a cyberzombie.
BlackJaw
I haven't seen the new version of Robocop, but I can toss together the basics of one real quick using my memories of the original film. Assuming you want a standard legal package and are willing to go Resources A...

I'd ballpark it at $472,105 and 5.58 Essence:

Metatype D (Human)
Attributes C
Magic E (Mundane)
Skills B
Resources A

You should be able to get Body 5, Agility 1(8), Reaction 6, Strength 1(8), Will 4, Logic 1, Intuition 5, Charisma 1, which provides a nice 11 +1d6 Initiative, which matches my memories of the original robocop's robotic movements. You can spend some Karma on some of these, or maybe cap Body instead of Reflexes?
All 5 of the cyberlimbs add to your durability through bonus damage boxes.
The final armor value is 22, so you can take a decent beating.
You have a high capacity burst fire machine pistol in you right leg Holster and a computer & big metal spike in your right arm. Your head has some wiring in it, but most of your skull and flesh is intact, so it's your helmet that provides the HUD and head protection.
Skills at B gives you a fair amount to play with for skills, Focus on Automatics, Unarmed, Drive, Perception, Gymnastics, and Intimidate.
As a Mundane Human, you have Edge 7 for those heroic stands offs with giant robot/cyborg war machines.
This being Detroit, you get a Ford Americar to drive around in.

Cyberware:
Used Cyber Torso with Custom Agility & Strength 5, Enhanced Agility/Armor/Strength +3
(left) Alpha Full Cyber Arm with Custom Agility & Strength 5, Enhanced Agility & Strength +3, and Armor +2
(right) Standard Cyber Arm with Custom Agility & Strength 5, Enhanced Agility & Strength +3, and Armor +2, Implanted Commlink (Transys Avalon Rating 6), Cyberspur
2x Alpha Full Cyber Legs with Custom Agility & Strength 5, Enhanced Agility & Strength +3, and Armor +2
Alpha Cyber Holster in the Right Leg
Smartlink

Helmet
Imagelink
Flare Comp
Thermographic
Vision Enhancement 1

Arms & Armor
Ares Crusader II Machine Pistol (I think it fits in the holster, fits the Burst Fire gun style and has a Smartgun system)
Armor Vest (anything else seems wrong on Robocop)

Card
Ford Americar
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Feb 21 2014, 01:49 PM) *
Always thought of Robocop (both versions) as more of a jarhead than a cyberzombie.

Alex was just a full conversion Borg in the original movies, not even a CyberZombie. The 2nd Movie monstrosity was indeed a Jarhead.
And as for Pistol - An Ares Predator I (with FA Conversion and a 100 Caseless Round Magazine) is the ticket. smile.gif
BlackJaw
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 21 2014, 04:09 PM) *
Alex was just a full conversion Borg in the original movies, not even a CyberZombie. The 2nd Movie monstrosity was indeed a Jarhead.
Mostly agreed on both counts. Murphy seems to have enough of his head left that I wouldn't give him a Cyberskull, but the drug-kingpin turned cyborg in the 2nd film is clearly a Jar-Head.

My 4th edition hacker, and most played character, is a full body conversion with all 6 cyber "limbs" at alpha grade and some other implants too. He only has a sliver of essence left, but he's really durable for a hacker. I figure I need the 5th edition Augmentation book to properly convert him to the new edition. I'm hoping they actually put in some notes on allowing things like Datajacks to be implanted into limbs, or cyber-eyes into cyber-skulls as they use to be able to do in 4th edition. It's those little things that keep him from converting into 5th edition.

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 21 2014, 04:09 PM) *
And as for Pistol - An Ares Predator I (with FA Conversion and a 100 Caseless Round Magazine) is the ticket. :)

Actually I figured the Ruger Thunderbolt was the probably the most appropriate gun, but it's not in 5th edition yet. The "Lonestar" Heavy Pistol that only shoots on Burst Fire seems about right.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (BlackJaw @ Feb 21 2014, 02:27 PM) *
Actually I figured the Ruger Thunderbolt was the probably the most appropriate gun, but it's not in 5th edition yet. The "Lonestar" Heavy Pistol that only shoots on Burst Fire seems about right.

Thunderbolt works too... I just don't like its aesthetics. smile.gif
Mongoose
The memory loss and personality conditioning shown in (the original) Robocop could be normal psychological conditioning in SR terms, but were clearly strong inspirations for the cyber-zombie rules. Due to the setting, the distinction isn't as clear cut as it could be, but look at it this way - he needs a special diet to stay alive (which likely contains drugs no normal cyber user would need), has conditioned attitudes and memory triggers, and doesn't remember his old life very well. That's pretty much the archetype for a cyberzombie.

Also, the gun is an Ares Predator. If you look at the early edition art, they literally just drew a picture of his gun for the Predator. Would need to be be modified for burst / FA, obviously.

Don't know about the new movie, but that's how the old movie would translate to (and inspired) game items.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Mongoose @ Feb 21 2014, 02:41 PM) *
The memory loss and personality conditioning shown in Robocop could be normal psychological conditioning in SR terms, but were clearly strong inspirations for the cyber-zombie rules. Due to the setting, the distinction isn't as clear cut as it could be, but look at it this way - he needs a special diet to stay alive (which likely contains drugs no normal cyber user would need), has conditioned attitudes and memory triggers, and doesn't remember his old life very well. That's pretty much the archetype for a cyberzombie.

Except that all that goes away in the 2nd Movie. Hell, even in the first movie, he gets most of that back. And he can eat baby food with no additional additives. smile.gif At least he is a cheap date at that point. smile.gif

Also, the gun is an Ares Predator. If you look at the early edition art, they literally just drew a picture of his gun for the Predator. Would need to be be modified for burst / FA, obviously.

Indeed... smile.gif
Moirdryd
I always thought the gun was Lonestar's "distinctive noise" Ruger model. Because of the original robocop movie firing range scene when the sound of the gun cuts through the noise of the semi autos (also I think the art was closer than that of the Predator). In both original and new he's a CyberZombie (and the CyberZombie Ruleset obviously has a tie in there).

KarmaInferno
The Predator used the look of the Robocop Auto-9, but was otherwise just a heavy pistol.

The Ruger Thunderbolt Lone Star pistol had the game mechanics to match the Auto-9, but not the appearance.

-k
Curator
i've made the major from ghost in the shell it was fun. 5she 5cost about 2 million k though in ware
Mongoose
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 21 2014, 09:42 PM) *
Except that all that goes away in the 2nd Movie. Hell, even in the first movie, he gets most of that back. And he can eat baby food with no additional additives. smile.gif At least he is a cheap date at that point. smile.gif

Like I said, only saw the first movie... and irrc, they just say his food (which comes out of a rather large machine, kinda like soft-serve ice cream) looks / tastes like baby food. And maybe he CAN eat baby food... cyberzombies can eat any food they like, as long as they get their meds somehow.

Of COURSE he gets his memories back. Its a farking movie. Point is he's not SUPPOSED to be able to get them back.

Gun wise, I think 5e now has a 'similar models' clause for most guns. So you could use the Ruger TB stats, and say its Ares Predator v.XsBsBFG. Maybe lay some mods on it (custom grip, heavy barrel, cosmetics). Best of both worlds. smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Mongoose @ Feb 28 2014, 02:48 PM) *
Like I said, only saw the first movie... and irrc, they just say his food (which comes out of a rather large machine, kinda like soft-serve ice cream) looks / tastes like baby food. And maybe he CAN eat baby food... cyberzombies can eat any food they like, as long as they get their meds somehow.

Towards end of movie, his partner brings him jars of Baby Food. smile.gif

Cochise
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 1 2014, 01:27 AM) *
Towards end of movie, his partner brings him jars of Baby Food. smile.gif

Which he promtly uses for target practice and re-calibration of his "smartlink" ... I guess he didn't have that much hunger at the time silly.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Cochise @ Mar 1 2014, 03:20 AM) *
Which he promtly uses for target practice and re-calibration of his "smartlink" ... I guess he didn't have that much hunger at the time silly.gif

Probably what I would use them for too... If I had ANY choice in what I ate. smile.gif
Stingray
..as for firearm of Robocop 2014 (haven't seen the movie), one possibility would be:
FN 5- 7C w/
+ FA (small mod 1 slot)
Internal smartgun system (accessory)
Gas vent 3 (accessory)
Personalized Grip (mod 1 slot)
Skinlink (mod 1 slot)
Barrel extension (mod 1 slot)
Safe target system (mod 1 slot)
Custom look (mod 1 slot)

His armor of course would be military grade armor (medium? heavy?) w/ high level STR upgrade (for recoil compensation)

Starmage21
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Feb 22 2014, 02:48 PM) *
The Predator used the look of the Robocop Auto-9, but was otherwise just a heavy pistol.

The Ruger Thunderbolt Lone Star pistol had the game mechanics to match the Auto-9, but not the appearance.

-k

I've geeked out on Robocop since I was a kid. I can generally tell you anything you wanna know about the movie's production nyahnyah.gif

Robocop's pistol is a dressed up Beretta 93r. Shadowrun did a cut-n-paste of the gun for the early Ares Predator.

The Cobra Assault Cannon the bad guys used, and he used towards the end were actually Barrett M82 .50 cal rifles, and they didnt feel any particular need to dress them up except the wierd scope-looking optics.
Ryu
I call him a jarhead even in the first version. Using SR4A, as a GM I would be willing to offer a custom race pick costing 100 karma paying for the ware. It will be interesting to see what 250kĄ on top can do.

Let´s say with some handwavium Restricted Gear can get you an Otomo Body. Anybody have a build?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Ryu @ Mar 6 2014, 03:07 PM) *
I call him a jarhead even in the first version. Using SR4A, as a GM I would be willing to offer a custom race pick costing 100 karma paying for the ware. It will be interesting to see what 250kĄ on top can do.

Let´s say with some handwavium Restricted Gear can get you an Otomo Body. Anybody have a build?

I have an Otomo Build for SR4A, but not one that fits a Starting character. It is about 600k in Equipment Mods if I remember correctly.
And used for my Cyberlogician's GF Smartframe/Metasapient AI. Not sure what I was smoking when I did that one. *sigh* smile.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (Ryu @ Mar 6 2014, 04:07 PM) *

Well, the rules on page 162, Cyborgs As PCs sidebar suggests not only allowing more than 400 BP (I don't think they need it), but allowing more than 50 BP for cash and being more lax on the Availability rules. I've done some crazy things with only 400 BP by allowing more than 50 BP for cash and not limiting the availability (I don't even think I went too crazy with it either..).
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Starmage21 @ Mar 6 2014, 11:21 AM) *
I've geeked out on Robocop since I was a kid. I can generally tell you anything you wanna know about the movie's production nyahnyah.gif

Robocop's pistol is a dressed up Beretta 93r. Shadowrun did a cut-n-paste of the gun for the early Ares Predator.

The Cobra Assault Cannon the bad guys used, and he used towards the end were actually Barrett M82 .50 cal rifles, and they didnt feel any particular need to dress them up except the wierd scope-looking optics.

I just was just re-reading Gun Heaven 3 and suddenly there it was: The Fianchetti Military 100, a pretty darn close imitation of the Auto-9 for Fifth Edition. It even has the autofire this time.

-k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012