Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [SR5] Character creation questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TomPliss
Hey guys,

I'm taking a look at the character creation in SR5, and I have a few questions, building a social/physical adept :

1) If I take a priority B/C adept, the "one Rating [2 or 4] Active skill" means I act as if I had 2 or 4 bonus skill points (but those go all in the same skill) ?
If so, Can I still upgrade it with the normal skill points ?

2) If I take a metatype with bonus points (Human-1 here), I can put the extra ponit in magi and get an extra PP ?

3) Am I the only one feeling the skill-group points are more an hassle than anything else ? I mean, I can't break the group at char creation, so, using priority C skill, I have a skill group at 2 (or two at 1). This means I get to be "meh" (here, 8-8-5 for the dice pools)... indifferent.gif

4) Little charsheet, what do you think about it ?
[ Spoiler ]
Updated version :
[ Spoiler ]
(The character isn't meant to be optimal, but viable as a detective-style adept without inplanted technology. the planned playstyle would be a series of sneaking-tracking and info-gathering (both with gadgets and face-to-face) phases, with a good handling of a potential fighting situation, both planned (sniper, may be replaced by a real sporting rifle from GH3 when bought) or unplanned (knucks, hold-out,taser,...).
As you can see, the char isn't finished yet (karma left for contacts, gear selection incomplete,...), so don't hesitate to give any advice wink.gif
btw, I used the Omae char gen, is it up to date ?

PS: I can't see the sr5 post icon in the list, but read some with in the forum... how come ?
Lobo0705
Hello,

1) Yes and Yes

2) Yes if you take Magic C, Yes if you take Magic B only if you take the Positive Quality Exceptional Attribute

3) They aren't a hassle, they allow you to use two of those points to get effectively 6 skill points. Yes they are spread out amongst 3 skills, but if you are making a realistic character, you aren't going to have 6s in every single skill. (Your character below is a good example).

4) So:

Mechanics Issues:
As per 2 above, you can't have a 7 Magic unless you take Exceptional Attribute.

Humans start with an Edge of 2

You can only buy Enhanced Accuracy once per skill. So you can't have Enhanced Accuracy for Longarms twice. You could spend .5 PP to buy Enhanced Accuracy for Longarms and Pistols.

Concept Issues

You don't have the Sneaking Skill. This will be problematic at most Shadowrun tables, since only rolling 4 dice to sneak means you are probably going to get spotted - which is not good, and your concept is "sneaking/tracking". Unless your detective is supposed to be an outdoorsman (which he might be - I don't know) I would say you are better served taking the Stealth skill group instead of the Outdoor Skill group, and then taking the 1 skill point you put in Disguise and put it in Tracking instead.

You probably want to pick up some licenses for your restricted items, along with a PI's license, they will be helpful.

Concealed holster or two would be a good idea

Apart from that, I won't comment - the character looks fine and would be fun to play. He will do well at a low power table, which are often quite fun. Don't expect him to keep pace with a min-maxed character group though - just be sure and ask the group their playstyle.

5) I can't speak about whether the generator is up to date, I haven't used it.
TomPliss
Thanks for the infos.

I've update the charsheet :
[ Spoiler ]
No more magic 7 (removed a level of improved reflexes... low chances for 3 init passes, now :/ ), moved the skill group as advised (forgot about sneak, yeah), completed the item list (fake licenses and listed guns).
Added a little karma expenses and contacts too.

Anything else, guys ?
DeathStrobe
QUOTE (TomPliss @ Feb 22 2014, 05:07 AM) *
btw, I used the Omae char gen, is it up to date ?

As the guy who made it, its updated with the errata if that's the question. But still not complete. I still need to work on vision and audio enhancements, augmentations, magic goods, and drones/vehicles. As well as refine a few things that are already there. I recently broke programs for cyberdecks/rccs, and I need to fix that again. But it might be a little while before I can work on it more. My real job is keeping me busy, though I'm happy to see people enjoying and using Omae.
TomPliss
It was really useful, to keep me sure about what I am doing.

I should mention I saw that mentor spirits are missing, apparently.
Some little remarks (web-developper myself) : You may to use a bit of javascript to let the user "close" the panels they don't use currently (having a little button on the title bar to toggle a "hidden" class) and put a brighter border (like the one when you select a race) on what has been modified (mainly for skills, to spot easily the ones where points have been invested) wink.gif
DeathStrobe
QUOTE (TomPliss @ Feb 22 2014, 03:16 PM) *
It was really useful, to keep me sure about what I am doing.

I should mention I saw that mentor spirits are missing, apparently.
Some little remarks (web-developper myself) : You may to use a bit of javascript to let the user "close" the panels they don't use currently (having a little button on the title bar to toggle a "hidden" class) and put a brighter border (like the one when you select a race) on what has been modified (mainly for skills, to spot easily the ones where points have been invested) wink.gif

Yeah, there are a lot of functionality things, like that I want to implement. But if you have the time and want to help contribute I started up a github for it.

https://github.com/HeyOmae/Omae

You can go in and rip apart my code or steal or add your own bells and whistles if you'd like.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012