Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hand Razors
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
Some quick context: A new character I'm rolling up has a twinked-out escape artist skill, and part of that is hand razors for the +2 bonus for having a cutting implement. Now the new character also has a very solid climb skill and I was thinking of using the Hand Razors to climb with if I'm caught without my gecko-tape gloves.

So, the question: Does buying Hand Razors cover both hands, or do I need to buy the 'ware twice?
Sengir
I'm not sure if it's spelled out somewhere, but it should definitely be per hand. Just imagine a character with one natural and one cyber hand, how much Ess/Capacity would the razors cost if both hand were equipped at once? wink.gif

PS: Augmentation also has dedicated climbing claws, which double as less-damaging razors.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Sengir @ Feb 27 2014, 08:27 PM) *
PS: Augmentation also has dedicated climbing claws, which double as less-damaging razors.

That's where I got the idea, but since the game is 5th ed that 'ware is currently not an option frown.gif.
I suspected it may be just 1 per hand but I was being hopeful. Oh well, I can look into getting a second pair of razors in play. Unlikely to use them in combat ironically...
Sendaz
Just be sure to remember which hand has the claws for those..... lonely nights. wink.gif
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Feb 27 2014, 08:37 PM) *
Just be sure to remember which hand has the claws for those..... lonely nights. wink.gif

I think (hope!) that they're not dangerous unless activated.
Sendaz
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Feb 27 2014, 08:48 AM) *
I think (hope!) that they're not dangerous unless activated.

yessss.. but when you get close to the end, there could be involuntary..... extension. nyahnyah.gif

Also make sure wireless is off, don't need the ex who is also a hacker causing mayhem from afar. wink.gif

Don't want to be a feature on 'Bizarre Medical Mishaps of Seattle'
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Feb 27 2014, 08:58 PM) *
yessss.. but when you reach the end, there could be involuntary..... extension. nyahnyah.gif

Good point. Best be careful, or better yet use specialized equipment for the job.
Neraph
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Feb 27 2014, 06:59 AM) *
Good point. Best be careful, or better yet use specialized equipment for the job.

The Buddy System.
Stahlseele
Fluffing could be a kind of thrill job with the hand razors.
Well, not for the fluffer obviously . .

Also:
in my mind climbing claws extend from the palm instead of the finger tips like the weapons do.
yesferatu
*For climbing, I think you would definitely need to buy both hands.*

It would be different in combat. Unless you're explicitly using your off hand, it's always assumed that you're using your good hand.
There are rules for off-hand attacks. I think you could totally get away with just having the one hand as long as it's your main hand.
In fact, you'd take negatives any time you did use your off-hand if it did have razors.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Wasn't there some sort of bonus for dual handed attacks in SR3? I seem to remember a +[Half Again] bonus in SR3. I would look, but I have no books.
Medicineman
Also:
in my mind climbing claws extend from the palm instead of the finger tips like the weapons do.

but they extended from the Fingertips (like cats Claews .Also perfect Cyberware for the Furry Wannabees)
They're exactly like Handrazors but instead of 5 small Razorblades you go 5 cats claws .And one Set is for one Hand (or Feet wink.gif )

That's where I got the idea, but since the game is 5th ed that 'ware is currently not an option

ImO thats Nonsense .
Just give them Climbing +1 Die and DV -1 (and WiFi Bonus :makes a hissing Sound whenever extended as a Free Action instead of a simple action.... or something like that)

*For climbing, I think you would definitely need to buy both hands.*

It would surely help to have two (or even 4) Sets of climbing claws , but even one single set is more helpfull than none at all

He who Dances with Cats
Medicineman
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 27 2014, 05:30 PM) *
Wasn't there some sort of bonus for dual handed attacks in SR3? I seem to remember a +[Half Again] bonus in SR3. I would look, but I have no books.

Yes, something like that.
It gets very silly with an STR16 Troll ^^
Sendaz
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 27 2014, 12:00 PM) *
Fluffing could be a kind of thrill job with the hand razors.
Well, not for the fluffer obviously . .

Shadowpron™

Watch your backside.
Shoot straight (at the camera).
Conserve 'Ammo'.

And never, ever, cut a movie deal with a 'Drag'on.

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 27 2014, 12:30 PM) *

page 121 in 3rd had this
Characters using two cyber- implant melee weapons get to add 1/2 their Strength Attribute, rounded down, to the Power of their attack.
So yeah getting slapped around by trolls was even less fun with that in play.

And for two regular weapons just in case hand razors was not enough for you they had this as well.
QUOTE (Fields of Fire @ pg 81)
Second Weapon In Melee Combat Characters may learn armed melee combat styles that allow them to use a second weapon. The following rules represent the effects of using a second melee weapon in combat. *The second weapon must be physically smaller and lighter than the dominant weapon, unless they are both small weapons (such as knives or daggers). *The character must know how to use each of the two weapons individually. (Yes, they may both fall under the general skill Armed Combat.) .The character must acquire a Special Skill for the fighting style (Rapier and Dagger, and so on). A character using two weapons in combat makes his Attack Test by rolling a base number of dice equal to the character's combined individual skills in the two weapons. The character may add a number of Combat Pool dice up to a maximum equal to the Special Skill rating. Resolve damage by finding the average of the two weapons used. First, calculate an unmodified qverage of the Power of both weapons. If one weapon has a higher Damage Level than the other, subtract 1 level from the higher Damage Level and use the result as the Damage. For example, a character using a sword with an "M" Damage Level and a knife with an "L" Damage Level would use an "L" Damage Level.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Indeed... Ouch. frown.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 27 2014, 05:53 PM) *
Indeed... Ouch. frown.gif

Want more ouchies?
Remember:
Trolls. Big. Tuff. Stronk.
Can handle 2 Handed weapons as 1 handed weapons with little to no Problem at all.
This is hillariously effective at administering drugs.
Power Niveau is way more important than the Damage Level in this case.
Because even if you need to roll 2 hits to completely resist the light Damage, if that means you have to roll 24-your armor with only your body dice, you are in deep shit regardless.
Because, you took a light wound. 1 Box of physical Damage. Drug enters your Body. Drugs can deal 10D Stun Damage. Scratch and sniff and out like a light!

Yes, Trolls were VERY viable combat monkeys in SR3.

This isn't even taking into consideration things like the +Power Level of the Weapons.
Or Dikote, which, on bladed weapons(not just Weapons using the Edged Weapons Skill) added both +1 Power and +1 Damage.
And technically speaking, a Combat Axe is smaller than the Pole-Arm.
So you COULD use a Pole-Arm with +2 Reach and STR+4D in one Hand and the Combat Axe with +1 Reach and STR+4D in the other Hand.

Chop Chop, one forrest to go please!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 27 2014, 09:57 AM) *
Want more ouchies?
Remember:
Trolls. Big. Tuff. Stronk.
Can handle 2 Handed weapons as 1 handed weapons with little to no Problem at all.
This is hillariously effective at administering drugs.
Power Niveau is way more important than the Damage Level in this case.
Because even if you need to roll 2 hits to completely resist the light Damage, if that means you have to roll 24-your armor with only your body dice, you are in deep shit regardless.
Because, you took a light wound. 1 Box of physical Damage. Drug enters your Body. Drugs can deal 10D Stun Damage. Scratch and sniff and out like a light!

Yes, Trolls were VERY viable combat monkeys in SR3.

Indeed they were... Spike was a Melee Troll who was scary effective - though he never used Drugs. A Daikote No-Daichi was his choice of weapon. When he was not just brawling for effect. Which was also a scary thing. LOVED the opposed melee rules in SR3. Meant he never had to be all that fast in the initiative if he could close. And since he could soak like no ones business, he always closed. Once it became a brawl fest, he cleaned up.
Stahlseele
As it very well should be damn it!
That Troll is THRICE the Size and Mass of the Average Human in SR3!
Twice of the Average Ork. 5 or 6 times that of Elves and Dorfs <.<
And yes, being able to Deal 20M unarmed Damage is absurd, but fun.
Soaking with 16 to 18 Dice after Combat Pool and the Ability to wear 7/6 Armor with the ability to have implanted Armor meant you could typically stage down automatic Weapons far enough to keep going too.
Shotguns and Heavy Pistols were laughably ineffective against my monstrosities.
Sendaz
Yep, I had a troll one time who got snagged by a border patrol who dismissed my claims of 'being lost' and tossed me in a station awaiting proper pickup from the main HQ.

Looking around I realized the cell door was kinda flimsy and the guards only had pistols and not even heavy at that. All the rifles were with the guys out on patrol.

I asked the GM twice if this was correct and he said yeah, why?

To make a long story short I got up and basically walked out through the front door, with the wee guards flattening light ammo against me on the way out.

Actually felt kind of soothing, like a lead lined massage that got those hard to reach places to scratch.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 27 2014, 10:12 AM) *
As it very well should be damn it!
That Troll is THRICE the Size and Mass of the Average Human in SR3!
Twice of the Average Ork. 5 or 6 times that of Elves and Dorfs <.<
And yes, being able to Deal 20M unarmed Damage is absurd, but fun.
Soaking with 16 to 18 Dice after Combat Pool and the Ability to wear 7/6 Armor with the ability to have implanted Armor meant you could typically stage down automatic Weapons far enough to keep going too.
Shotguns and Heavy Pistols were laughably ineffective against my monstrosities.

Indeed... If I remember Correctly, Spike was wearing enough Armor that he really only worried about High End Sniper Rifles and Assault Cannons. SMG, Shotgun, and Pistols were indeed laughable, and even AR's were mostly a nuisance, more than an actual threat.

Of course, he was a Monstrous Troll who stood out A LOT. But he was indeed a lot of fun.
IIRC - He had Body 10 (12), Strength 10 and Decent Quickness (I wanna say a 6 or 7).
And once he closed, his Counterstrike ability was Monstrous, with something like 18 (Unarmed) Dice before Combat Pool.
Armed Counterstrike DPs were somewhere around 14-16 Dice IIRC (Been a LOT of years).

The Rebuild in SR4/A was just as fun, but not nearly as effective in a lot of ways (SMG's and Pistols actually became a threat, for one; and Counterstrike abilities drastically changed).
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Feb 27 2014, 10:31 AM) *
Yep, I had a troll one time who got snagged by a border patrol who dismissed my claims of 'being lost' and tossed me in a station awaiting proper pickup from the main HQ.

Looking around I realized the cell door was kinda flimsy and the guards only had pistols and not even heavy at that. All the rifles were with the guys out on patrol.

To make a long story short I got up and basically walked out through the front door, with the wee guards flattening light ammo against me on the way out.

Actually felt kind of soothing, like a lead lined massage that got those hard to reach places to scratch.

That.... is awesome. smile.gif
psychophipps
Not certain about 5th, but 4th AE says nothing about "per hand" so buying hand razors should include a full set for both hands.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (psychophipps @ Feb 27 2014, 11:03 AM) *
Not certain about 5th, but 4th AE says nothing about "per hand" so buying hand razors should include a full set for both hands.

Pretty sure it is per Hand in SR4A. Can't look right now, though.
Medicineman
QUOTE (psychophipps @ Feb 27 2014, 02:03 PM) *

It says one set (in 4A it is 0,2 Essence and 1200 „ iirc) and the set is 5 Razorblades one for each finger!
And like any other Cybermeleeweapons(Claws, Handknife,Spurs,Schockerhand) it was NEVER in pairs/never for both Hands simultaneously!

Pretty sure it is per Hand in SR4A.

correct smile.gif

HokaHey
Medicineman
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Feb 27 2014, 06:31 PM) *

and things like that is why i play trolls.

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 27 2014, 06:31 PM) *
Indeed... If I remember Correctly, Spike was wearing enough Armor that he really only worried about High End Sniper Rifles and Assault Cannons. SMG, Shotgun, and Pistols were indeed laughable, and even AR's were mostly a nuisance, more than an actual threat.

Of course, he was a Monstrous Troll who stood out A LOT. But he was indeed a lot of fun.
IIRC - He had Body 10 (12), Strength 10 and Decent Quickness (I wanna say a 6 or 7).
And once he closed, his Counterstrike ability was Monstrous, with something like 18 (Unarmed) Dice before Combat Pool.
Armed Counterstrike DPs were somewhere around 14-16 Dice IIRC (Been a LOT of years).

The Rebuild in SR4/A was just as fun, but not nearly as effective in a lot of ways (SMG's and Pistols actually became a threat, for one; and Counterstrike abilities drastically changed).

you call that monstrous?
why? a DORF can get those attributes o.O
a monster troll leaves char gen with STR16 and Body of at least 16 too.
make the most of the things you get bonus points in and that cost a fuck ton of karma to raise later on in game . .
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 27 2014, 11:36 AM) *
and things like that is why i play trolls.

you call that monstrous?
why? a DORF can get those attributes o.O
a monster troll leaves char gen with STR16 and Body of at least 16 too.
make the most of the things you get bonus points in and that cost a fuck ton of karma to raise later on in game . .

Monstrous in the fact that he was 11'4" and weighed in at 590 Kilos (or so) - Yeah, he was a freak of nature size wise. smile.gif
Yeah, his stats were "Normal" troll stats. smile.gif
He had some other priorities that he wanted to cover. Never really explored a TRULY monstrous Stat Monger Troll.
Stahlseele
I did.
And because i figured out a nice little explot for skillwires i think, i could have my cake(attributes) and eat it too(skills)
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 27 2014, 01:05 PM) *
I did.
And because i figured out a nice little explot for skillwires i think, i could have my cake(attributes) and eat it too(skills)

smile.gif SR3 Sklillwires exploit?
Stahlseele
Basically a way to make it so you don't need much internal storage capacity and you still can't lose it nilly willy if the GM feels like it.
Lobo0705
Not to interrupt all the fun troll self-love (hand razors optional), but APDS tends to even all that out in 3e.
psychophipps
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Feb 27 2014, 12:22 PM) *
It says one set (in 4A it is 0,2 Essence and 1200 „ iirc) and the set is 5 Razorblades one for each finger!
And like any other Cybermeleeweapons(Claws, Handknife,Spurs,Schockerhand) it was NEVER in pairs/never for both Hands simultaneously!

HokaHey
Medicineman

I stand corrected and thanks for the heads up for my own game. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012