Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Firepower
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
The Ares Alpha is the classic runner assault rifle, and lets face it there's a reason for that. Good damage output, flexible enough to cover a range of combat roles, full auto capable in a pinch with SA capacity for precision work and a large enough ammo capacity for both, plus a grenade launcher under the barrel for when the going gets tough.

I've had a total of 1 runner across my entire career and all the editions pick one up. I've purposefully stayed away from it for the same reason I've stayed away from katanas: Everyone has one.

So, who else goes in for alternative firepower?
binarywraith
Thanks to Gun H(e)avens, SR5 won't have much of a confusion there. The Rain Forest Carbine in that is flat out better than the Alpha in every way, all for a different of less than the cost of a bucket of NERPS Nuggets.

QUOTE (Samoth @ Dec 18 2013, 08:43 AM) *
Ultimax Rain Forest Carbine (SR5)
Acc 7, Dam 14P, AP -4, Mode SA, RC (1), Ammo 18©, Avail 5R, Cost 2,800
Standard Upgrades/Accessories: Imaging Scope (w/ flare compensation, image link, low-light vision), Retractable Stock

Ares Alpha
Acc 5(7), Dam 11P, AP -2. Mode SA/BF/FA, RC 2, Ammo 42©, Avail 11F, 2,650
Standard Upgrades/Accessories: underbarrel grenade launcher, integrated smartlink
FuelDrop
QUOTE (binarywraith @ Mar 4 2014, 01:33 PM) *
Thanks to Gun H(e)avens, SR5 won't have much of a confusion there. The Rain Forest Carbine in that is flat out better than the Alpha in every way, all for a different of less than the cost of a bucket of NERPS Nuggets.

Except for the lack of automatic fire, no grenade launcher, no innate recoil compensation...

On the other hand the carbine is a LOT easier to get a hold of and is legal to own too. My GM actually came up with a good fix for this: the RFC uses high powered rounds, with all relevant rules from the book that is never named.
psychophipps
One rule that I have always stuck with over the years is, "Whatever you bring to the table, so will I". By this, I mean that I will base the firepower in my game upon what the players bring along for the ride. I always tell them, "Think...real hard...about what you want me to have pointed back at you when you're neck deep in it."

Pretty rare for anything more than the occasional hand grenade (mostly stun), shotguns, and maybe an AK97 to come out and play. Rigger gets a bit more juice with occasional things like automatic grenade launchers, but they are very selective in their ammunition choices (pretty much exclusively stun grenades with a light sprinkling of HE) and use of the Big Boy Toys (explosives, etc). Bulk of the firepower I see is handguns, tasers, melee weapons, SMGs, and whatever nastiness the mages happen to be tossing about. Way we looked at it, you need more than this, it's because you fucked up somewhere.
SpellBinder
Or had some bad dice rolls. One game had a player throw a F6 Boom spell (Single target elemental using air) at a troll he didn't know was a mage. Said troll mage nullified the spell, and on his return action sent back a F6 Flamethrower spell. The player took 8P after all dice were done.

Said opposing troll magician got "hiduken'ed" by a 12 year old, twig of an elf girl the next combat round. Sent the troll's Stun into Physical in one blow.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Mar 3 2014, 10:21 PM) *
The Ares Alpha is the classic runner assault rifle, and lets face it there's a reason for that. Good damage output, flexible enough to cover a range of combat roles, full auto capable in a pinch with SA capacity for precision work and a large enough ammo capacity for both, plus a grenade launcher under the barrel for when the going gets tough.

I've had a total of 1 runner across my entire career and all the editions pick one up. I've purposefully stayed away from it for the same reason I've stayed away from katanas: Everyone has one.

So, who else goes in for alternative firepower?

I dislike the Ares Alpha, so I go for alternate options.

My Mystic Adept Face likes the Shiawase Tactical 73 with a few mods.
My Cyberlogician uses the Sernopal vz/88V
My Russian Unaugmented Mundane Street Sam uses strictly Russian Equipment (some of which is modified) - mostly from prior to the Awakening (he reloads his own ammunition). Just can't beat the classics.

Most of my characters do not even use the AR Class of weapons. They are just way too Obvious.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (psychophipps @ Mar 3 2014, 10:40 PM) *
Pretty rare for anything more than the occasional hand grenade (mostly stun), shotguns, and maybe an AK97 to come out and play. Rigger gets a bit more juice with occasional things like automatic grenade launchers, but they are very selective in their ammunition choices (pretty much exclusively stun grenades with a light sprinkling of HE) and use of the Big Boy Toys (explosives, etc). Bulk of the firepower I see is handguns, tasers, melee weapons, SMGs, and whatever nastiness the mages happen to be tossing about. Way we looked at it, you need more than this, it's because you fucked up somewhere.

As it should be... Unless your Mohawk is Large and Pink. smile.gif
Draco18s
I think I gravitated towards the AK-97.

The last time I built a character that had one I modded the shiznit out of it. Extra clip, extended clip (to make up for some of the capacity loss of the first mod*), and additional recoil compensation. I could short burst all day long with that sucker and I could load two ammo types and switch between them without something dumb like Ammo Skip (because with two loaded magazines and a free action to switch between which one is active, I could load one with gel rounds and the other with live ammo).

*I think when all was said and done the total ammo capacity was around 104 rounds.
Medicineman
in SR4A I really like the Onotari X III
Ammo switch system (two Clips with different Ammo) and an Underbarrel Shotgun,Scope with Thermosight, improved secutity avail 10F and 2100 ¥

HokaHey
Medicineman
Draco18s
Dual clip + Ammo Switch is awesome.
It really is. More runners should use it.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 4 2014, 09:19 AM) *
Dual clip + Ammo Switch is awesome.
It really is. More runners should use it.

One of the reasons My Cyberlogician liked the HK-PSG Enforcer (Sniper Rifle) so much. smile.gif
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Mar 3 2014, 09:36 PM) *
Except for the lack of automatic fire, no grenade launcher, no innate recoil compensation...

On the other hand the carbine is a LOT easier to get a hold of and is legal to own too. My GM actually came up with a good fix for this: the RFC uses high powered rounds, with all relevant rules from the book that is never named.

Too bad HP rounds have no rules at all for SR5.
Samoth
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Mar 4 2014, 06:36 AM) *

Luckily gun mod rules are just around the corner so it won't have any competition at all once you mod it for BF/FA and slap a grenade launcher on. I'm willing to give up the 2 RC for the extra 3DV and -2AV.
CanRay
Moving away from the Carbine, I would suggest the Colt Agent Special (Also from Gun Heaven 3) as an everyday carry piece, then gear up according to the job from there. Although the AK-97 or Colt M-23 are nice, reliable pieces that can be customized for a home defense item.
toturi
QUOTE (psychophipps @ Mar 4 2014, 01:40 PM) *
One rule that I have always stuck with over the years is, "Whatever you bring to the table, so will I". By this, I mean that I will base the firepower in my game upon what the players bring along for the ride. I always tell them, "Think...real hard...about what you want me to have pointed back at you when you're neck deep in it."

As a rule, I do not base the firepower in my game on what the players have, I base the firepower on what I think the opposition should have.

A GM I had matched our battle rifles with a Red Samurai team togged out with battle rifles too. At the end of combat, one other player was complaining how expensive the APDS rounds he was using to put down the Red Sams. Since my character was searching the bodies, I pointed out that the Red Sams were using the same rounds against us.
KarmaInferno
My primary 4E Missions character was an old man who was perfectly comfortable killing you with bullets, bombs, or his mind. Having a spec ops mage background will do that. He used whatever tools were at hand. I will admit he owned an Ares Alpha, but he was better known for using grenades or spells. Or, more preferably, stealth. His favorite missions were ones without a single fight. He was also infamous for having entirely hardwired gear with an old school fiber optic harness under his clothes. Other than an isolated earpiece for team communications, no wireless for him.

My 4E rigger more or less wore a humanoid combat chassis. She's the pixie I have mentioned before. Her firearm of choice was the Ingram light machine gun. I think at one point she leveled no less than 8 at a suddenly very polite group of gangers. Ah, the joys of drones. On more normal days she carried around a gold and silver plated Ruger Super Warhawk. She was not a subtle person.

My current 5E Missions characters are a hobo mage with an old hunting rifle, and a Vory enforcer who favors either a saber weapon focus or the Cavalier Arms EBR. Both also carry sidearms but I don't think either has used them yet.

-k

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012