Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question on the Build Point system
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
LaughingTiger
I'm preparing to run a new Shadowrun campaign. This time, I'm planning on trying to use the build point system rather than the Priority system in the BBB. I'm attempting to figure out if I should place artifical caps on how many points can be spent in certain areas, or if simply limiting the build points available is good enough. I'm trying to start my campaign at a bit of a lower level than I normally have with the Priority system. Specifically, I'm trying to stay away from the million nuyen priority A option that a lot of my players seem to pick. Also, this way my PC's will get to play around with Edges and Flaws, since most of them are used to WW and kind of expect them.

Is there anything I should be aware of? Any flaws in the system I should watch out for?

Any info would be appreciated!
A Clockwork Lime
In that case, I'd go with 120 Build Points and a cap of 25 for Resources, or 115 Build Points with a cap of 20 on Resources depending on which limit you want to use. Otherwise, there shouldn't be any problem as long as you trust your players to be believeable and create solid characters.

Note that the second suggestion above will hurt magicians quite a bit more than other Resource-dependant character types, but if you want to keep them toned down a bit, too, it should work fine.
Cray74
QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
In that case, I'd go with 120 Build Points and a cap of either 20 or 25 for Resources. Otherwise, there shouldn't be any problem as long as you trust your players to be believeable and create solid characters.

Yeah, what he said. smile.gif
LaughingTiger
Thanks, that's basically what i was looking for. And I've got some beliveable characters that fit into my idea for the campaign, now it's just a matter of turning them into numbers.

I've got a really good group of RP'ers who generally come up with concept and backstory first, then fit the numbers to the concept. In those cases, I'm willing to work with my PC's on special things they'd like to add to their character.
The White Dwarf
Off the top of my head, theres already caps. Presuming my memory is correct, you get 120 BP (123 if you use the sr3 average). You can only spend 60 on attributes (30 attribute points), 30 on resources (1 mil), 60 on skills (60 skill points); race and magic arent limited you just pay for what you pick since you can only make one selection. Also, you can have up to 5 edges and 5 flaws, but cannot gain or lose more than a net 6 BP from them in total.

Any limits beyond those would be rules just for you which is perfectly fine. Just thought Id post the written ones. If youre trying to go lower cash, just limit them away from the 30 or 25 resource options (effectivly keeping them at priority B for resources or less).

As far as edges and flaws... read them and apply common sense. When they say "we suggest you dont let players take aptitude in sorcery, computing, or shooting" they mean it. When they say "dont let players take Sea Madness if theyre not near water" they mean it. Just be sure that all the e/f follow common sense and actually hold promise of seeing use in the game.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012