Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Using Contacts for Cheaper Repairs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
BlackJaw
The reports are that the repair rules in Run & Gun are 10% of item value per box of damage in parts. (I don't have the book, so no quote.)

For Riggers with expensive drones or vehicles, a Decker who's deck gets shot, or a Sammy who's cyberarm takes a called shot, this can be a big expense to fix, possibly more than their take on a successful mission.

For example My T-Bird Pilot's ride is $400,000. That means if he takes a single box of damage, it's $40,000 to fix. It makes the Gearhead bonus expensive to use for example (1 box of damage to the vehicle for each minute past it's initial bonus period.) Getting shot even once, taking multiple boxes of damage, would cost more to fix than multiple high-threat runs would pay, and that's just for parts.

So here's a theory (maybe more of a house rule) on making it cheaper using favors from contacts: Getting your stuff fixed is a favor, and the level of that favor depends on how expensive the repairs would normally be. According to the chart on page 389, A rating 6 favor covers a lone of gear valued at up to $500,000, while a rating 4 favor covers $50,000, and 2 covers $5,000. I think these values might also be reasonable for repair prices. A contact is willing to do a favor for you up to their loyalty rating without needing to be negotiated with.
QUOTE (page 389)
The gamemaster will look on the Favor Rating Table to see how big a personal favor you might be asking for. Favor Ratings range from 1 to 6; the bigger the number, the more you’re asking their contact to take on. Contacts will normally agree to personal assistance with a Favor Rating equal to or less than their Loyalty Rating. If the Favor Rating exceeds the contact’s Loyalty Rating, you’ll need to convince the contact with a Negotiation + Charisma [Social] Opposed Test.
QUOTE (later on page 389)
Connection Rating x 1,000¥ for goods or services rendered; they’ll probably lop off up to their Loyalty x ten percent if you’ve been nice to them. This doesn’t have to be a straight-up monetary donation—you could take them out for a nice dinner, or buy them a new commlink, put in some work at their favorite charity, get their apartment painted, or something else they’d like—but very few people are allergic to cash.
I like the "goods or services" line as it lends some credence to be applicable to repairs.

So let's take my T-Bird Rigger as an example. He has a connection 1 / loyalty 5 T-bird mechanic contact named Moose. A personal rating 5 (Serious, between $50,000 and $500,000 in value) favor would costs me $500 and I don't even have to negotiate to get him to do it because the favor is equal to or less than his loyalty. I guess Moose, the t-bird mechanic at the cascade ork smuggler field has plenty of old junked t-birds he can scrap for parts, so it's cheaper for him to fix things then it is for me to buy the parts and fix it myself. Also, good scotch is hard to get in the mountains, and Moose and I go way back (at loyalty 5 he's basically my best friend.) "Hey Moose! I'm back from Seattle and I bought you this bottle of high-end 20 year old Scotch with my pay from that run. Oh by the way the Valravn got kinda shot up on the run. You want take a look a that for me later?"

The rules on contacts don't support this idea explicitly, as page 389 also says "A contact will still charge what the market will bear for services rendered, but he’ll also do it all under the table" for using a contact for normally legal activities and "Personal assistance is a little harder to define. It covers many kinds of aid that aren’t paid for with cash. Whether or not a contact is willing to render personal assistance is up to player and gamemaster judgment. Occasionally there might be a need for more formal guidance." Which means this entire concept of cheaper repairs through contacts is all up to GM judgement. $500 for Hundreds of thousands of dollars in repairs seems odd, but so does $40,000 per box of damage.

I interpret that to mean that a basic rating 1/1 mechanic will fix your ride for market price, but without an official paperwork or records, in much the same way a street doc will patch your gunshot wounds without reporting them, but your paying for each night in his clinic using the Hospitalized Lifestyle rates. But, with GM permission, you can try to get repairs done as a favor instead of as a strait up transaction. That uses the favor rules instead. Your 1/1 mechanic contact is unlikely to do that for you without some serious negotiation, but your best friend the 1/5 mechanic has no problem with it.

Oddly enough the mechanics in the book don't apply a modifier on the negotiation roll to get a favor out of someone depending on the difference between the favor and your loyalty. I'd give the contact a bonus on their opposed roll equal to that difference, so trying to get a Rating 6 favor out of a Loyalty 1 contact gives the contact a +5. That does mean a Face with a lot of low level contacts is the king of getting cheap repairs, but also that any given character archetype should have a contact or two with decent loyalty for getting things fixed without going bankrupt.
Lobo0705
I don't know - we just houseruled it so that the parts are cheaper.

Using rules as written, your 400, 000 nuyen.gif T-bird takes 5 points of damage. You want Moose to fix it for you. Loyalty 5, he is your best friend. Does he have the kind of money to give you 200,000 nuyen.gif worth of parts, in exchange for a bottle of scotch? (With those parts costs, the labor cost is meaningless - which makes no sense in that they say in the book that the labor costs are the expensive part.).

It doesn't make a lot of sense, really - people don't have (unless he is a multimillionaire) that kind of money laying around to hand out to you, even if they are really close to you.
BlackJaw
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Apr 10 2014, 12:59 PM) *
I don't know - we just houseruled it so that the parts are cheaper.

Using rules as written, your 400, 000 nuyen.gif T-bird takes 5 points of damage. You want Moose to fix it for you. Loyalty 5, he is your best friend. Does he have the kind of money to give you 200,000 nuyen.gif worth of parts, in exchange for a bottle of scotch? (With those parts costs, the labor cost is meaningless - which makes no sense in that they say in the book that the labor costs are the expensive part.).

It doesn't make a lot of sense, really - people don't have (unless he is a multimillionaire) that kind of money laying around to hand out to you, even if they are really close to you.

Maybe he has a bunch of junked T-birds sitting around (because that makes sense for him) so while he doesn't have a lot of cash, he does have parts?

Although a house rule to 1% price probably makes a lot more sense, and isn't that how it worked in 4th?
Lobo0705
I'd have to look back at 4th, but here's what we are using:

Repairing Drones and Vehicles with Physical Damage.

All physical damage is categorized as two types: Structural and Non-Structural.

Non-structural damage would be bullets, electric shock, anything that leaves the structural integrity of the chassis intact.
Structural damage includes explosives, fire, and crashes - damage which will destroy the chassis itself and force you to replace wholesale sections of the drone.

Cost:
Non-Structural damage costs 1% of the cost of the drone/vehicle to repair per box.
Structural damage costs 5% of the cost of the drone/vehicle to repair per box.

Difficulty:
Every 3 boxes of damage you are attempting to repair (Round down) increases the difficulty of the Extended test by 1.

Thus, repairing 1-2 boxes of damage is an Easy test. Repairing 3-5 boxes is an Average test. Repairing 6-8 boxes is a Hard test.

Structural damage increases the difficulty by 1.

Time:
Non Structural Damage has a base time of 30 minutes
Structural Damage has a base time of 1 hour.

Required Tools
Non-Structural Damage of up to 6 boxes may be done at no penalty with a tool kit.
Non-Structural Damage of 7 or more boxes must be done with a shop, or suffer a -4 dice pool penalty.

Structural Damage of up to 6 boxes may be done at no penalty with a shop.
Structural Damage of 7 or more boxes must be done at a facility or suffer a -4 dice pool penalty.

Glitches and Critical Glitches

If you critically glitch on the roll to repair your drone/vehicle,
that’s it. The device is permanently destroyed.

If you glitch, the drone/vehicle can be restored to
functionality, but it becomes a bit glitchy (the gamemaster
will tell you how at an appropriate moment).
Sendaz
I like that, but shouldn't there be some kind of DV versus Body/armor formula where a Bullet could do structural? Especially for the smaller drones, bullets can and will damage the structural integrity of the item?

Otherwise it does have potential and nicely laid out.
BlackJaw
Arsenal page 104:
"To repair damage inflicted on a vehicle, a Build/Repair Extended Test is called for, using Logic + the appropriate vehicle mechanic skill (Aeronautics Mechanic for aircraft, Automative Mechanic for groundcraft, Nautical Mechanic watercraft, or even Industrial Mechanic for certain industrial drones/vehicles). The threshold is equal to the number of damage boxes the vehicle has taken, and the interval is 6 hours. Vehicle repairs typically require replacement parts that cost an amount equal to 1% of the vehicle’s base cost per box of damage, with the same Availability as the vehicle. Minor repairs (1–3 boxes) can be handled with a vehicle kit, otherwise a vehicle shop is necessary."
BlackJaw
Actually, if you house rule repairs to vehicles and drones to be cheaper (1% not 10%), then the repairs as a favor setup also works better because the difference in price between parts and a favor isn't so strange.
3 boxes of physical damage on a T-Bird is still $12,000, but a favor from a friendly mechanic drops that down a lot, but not by a crazy amount.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (BlackJaw @ Apr 10 2014, 10:26 AM) *
Actually, if you house rule repairs to vehicles and drones to be cheaper (1% not 10%), then the repairs as a favor setup also works better because the difference in price between parts and a favor isn't so strange.
3 boxes of physical damage on a T-Bird is still $12,000, but a favor from a friendly mechanic drops that down a lot, but not by a crazy amount.

And stops a single AR round from runing your pocket book.
Umidori
Really, I think reduced repair costs are the way to go. If you really want to stress to players the value of not getting their vehicles damaged, and insist upon employing a stick rather than some form of carrot, then simply make repairs take longer.

You end up in a car chase and your ride gets badly shot full of holes? You should be able to fix it relatively cheap (some fractional percentage of what you stand to make on the job), but it's going to spend the next week or two in the shop, which means you'll be down a vehicle for the next couple of runs you make (assuming most runners do one job a week).

Your beloved T-Bird gets splashed by a lucky unguided missile but limps back home in one piece? The good news is you don't have to pay hundreds of thousands of nuyen to repair it. The bad news is it's out of comission for a month, easy.

Of course, in both cases, things like extra manpower and calling in favors might get the work done a lot quicker. If you're relying on a repair shop that has a lot of business, you may have to wait for them to get around to your order - or you could maybe do some favor or pay a premium to get bumped to the front of the line. If you have the skills to help with repairs, you can join the efforts in your downtime to speed things up slightly. Or conversely if you decide to fix it by yourself, you can get it down even cheaper, but at the cost of extending the repair window (you only have so much free time per day, after all).

~Umi
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012