Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Automatic weapons and multiple attack house rule
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
Okay, our GM and I have been chatting for a bit and have come up with a house rule. When using the Multiple Attacks rule with a gun firing multiple bullets, you split your dice pool as normal. If your targets are within (number of bullets in burst/3) meters of each other they all take the full burst penalty, otherwise you must split the bullets between targets (for instance, firing Full Auto (simple) at two targets 15 meters apart would mean that either both targets are getting 3 bullets [-2 dodge], 1 target is getting 2 and the other 4 [-1 and -3 dodge] or else 1 and 5 [no penalty and -4 dodge]. However, if the targets were merely 2 meters apart and the area was sprayed with bullets both would receive the full -5 penalty of a full auto (simple) attack).

The logic should be fairly obvious, but are we overthinking things?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Apr 17 2014, 07:21 AM) *
Okay, our GM and I have been chatting for a bit and have come up with a house rule. When using the Multiple Attacks rule with a gun firing multiple bullets, you split your dice pool as normal. If your targets are within (number of bullets in burst/3) meters of each other they all take the full burst penalty, otherwise you must split the bullets between targets (for instance, firing Full Auto (simple) at two targets 15 meters apart would mean that either both targets are getting 3 bullets [-2 dodge], 1 target is getting 2 and the other 4 [-1 and -3 dodge] or else 1 and 5 [no penalty and -4 dodge]. However, if the targets were merely 2 meters apart and the area was sprayed with bullets both would receive the full -5 penalty of a full auto (simple) attack).

The logic should be fairly obvious, but are we overthinking things?

No, you are not. One of the things I HATE about the current system is the way the multiple attacks option on full auto treats things. Firing 10 bullets at someone makes them take a -9 penalty to dodge. I get that, that's fine. Firing 10 bullets at two different people who could be anywhere from 1 yard to hundreds of yards apart also causes them to be a -9? Stupid.

I think your way is good, you could get grittier and make people "walk" the bullets to the target, but that isn't necessary.

I'm almost inclined to say that unless they are within 1 meter of each other, you have to split it, but 2 for 6 bullets and 3 for 10 doesn't seem outlandish.
FuelDrop
We're also going back to 4th edition speed rules for vehicles and cutting walking and running speeds in half, but that's not really the focus of the thread.
Surukai
I think I'd go for something like that in old Sr4

Where a full auto is like 2 long bursts or 3 short bursts.

So a long burst (-5 on one target) becomes -2 on two targets and no penalty on 3+ targets.

Full auto is enough for -9 one target, -5 two targets -2 on three or four targets and no penalty on more than 4 targets.

My idea is to think in existing terms (-9, -5, -2 or no penalty) as long as possible.

I do agree that -9 on all targets is just silly.
Moirdryd
I follow a 3rd edition principle. Walk fire costing 1 bullet per meter to hit your next target and use the "nt enough bullets" rule to determine modifiers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012