Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sail Away Sweet Sister is live
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Patrick Goodman
Read about it here.
bonehead
Is the title a reference to the Queen song of the same name?
Patrick Goodman
In a way. It was certainly played a lot as I was writing it. smile.gif

Good spot there; thanks for paying attention. And, you know, listening to Queen....
Achsin
I will definately pick this one up when I get home.
bonehead
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Apr 23 2014, 11:09 AM) *
In a way. It was certainly played a lot as I was writing it. smile.gif

Good spot there; thanks for paying attention. And, you know, listening to Queen....

Queen is one of my favorite groups. smile.gif
Mantis
Cool. I liked your last one. They are just too damn short. When are you getting a full novel?
Patrick Goodman
From your mouth to God's ears....

There's not a plan for me to do a novel yet, though I'm campaigning for it. FWIW, though, the story in Sister is more than twice as long as the story portion of Another Rainy Night. Just guessing, the next one (tentatively title Red Rain and just barely in progress) will likely be in the same to a bit larger range (ARN was about 10K words, SASS is about 25K words, and RR as I'm outlining it will be in the neighborhood of 25-40K words).

I've got a bunch of other stories, most of which seem to be falling into the novella category. Maybe I'll do one of my SR stories for NaNoWriMo this year. We'll see what shakes out.
Sengir
Can we expect something new on the on the Infected situation (other than that vampires are still hungry)?
Samoth
Why are there rules in a novel.
tasti man LH
QUOTE (Samoth @ Apr 23 2014, 03:39 PM) *
Why are there rules in a novel.

...this the first time you've bought Enhanced Fiction?

Because that's pretty normal for what they provide.
Samoth
Haven't bought a SR novel in 15 years and would not expect to have crunchy rules (and errors of course; one character has a machinegun they can not use by the RAW) in an optional novel.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Samoth @ Apr 24 2014, 05:27 AM) *
Haven't bought a SR novel in 15 years and would not expect to have crunchy rules (and errors of course; one character has a machinegun they can not use by the RAW) in an optional novel.

I (mostly) cut and pasted Ravenheart, so a lot of issues transferred over from her original appearance, but I'm not seeing the problem with her possessing the machine gun. It's early, though, and I've not had any caffeine yet, so it could be me. Could you please elucidate, in a non-confrontational manner?
Samoth
No problem (by the way, not trying to sound confrontational.) My point is now beyond looking through a poorly laid-out main book, a couple of PDF-only releases and a few supplements for rules, NOW we have to check the back of a novel for stuff too! Not exactly convenient.

BBB pg. 430
Machine guns come in three varieties—light, medium,
and heavy—that determine their ranges. All, even the
“light” ones, are in fact very heavy and large. A light
machine gun is physically bigger and heavier than an
assault rifle. MMGs and HMGs could be carried by
someone with Strength of 8+ and 10+ (respectively),

but they work better as vehicle-mounted weapons.

http://cdn.shadowruntabletop.com/wp-conten...tats.pdf?4713c7
Anne only has 3 strength.

I suppose she could be carrying it around (in a wheelbarrow?) to use as a vehicle mounted weapon, except she has Heavy Weapons 7 (Machine Guns) and no Gunnery skill so I don't think so.
Patrick Goodman
See your point on the MG now. Yeah, I should have looked a little better as I was converting, but I had other things on my mind regarding the character, and the MG doesn't play in the story at all. I suppose it could be a souvenir of hers from Chicago, but I probably should have just deleted the damn thing from her gear list.

So...hail Hydra, I guess....
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Apr 24 2014, 09:14 AM) *
See your point on the MG now. Yeah, I should have looked a little better as I was converting, but I had other things on my mind regarding the character, and the MG doesn't play in the story at all. I suppose it could be a souvenir of hers from Chicago, but I probably should have just deleted the damn thing from her gear list.

So...hail Hydra, I guess....

Hail... Hydra?

Run away, very fast...
Samoth
It's ok Patrick, you're one of the good ones and at least admit your mistakes. The problem is I'm sure someone proofed this, and then someone else edited it and nobody caught it. It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, and honestly the MG strength requirements are completely idiotic in the first place.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Samoth @ Apr 24 2014, 09:21 AM) *
It's ok Patrick, you're one of the good ones and at least admit your mistakes. The problem is I'm sure someone proofed this, and then someone else edited it and nobody caught it. It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, and honestly the MG strength requirements are completely idiotic in the first place.

You're also assuming the proof reader(s) and editor even knew the MG rules in the first place. It's a fairly unused rule set, namely because most people don't bother with anything above LMGs in the first place or they go straight to assault cannons.
Patrick Goodman
I kinda figured the stats would get shredded in places (and probably rightfully so). Out of idle curiosity, has anyone actually read the story? smile.gif
Samoth
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Apr 24 2014, 04:25 PM) *
You're also assuming the proof reader(s) and editor even knew the MG rules in the first place. It's a fairly unused rule set, namely because most people don't bother with anything above LMGs in the first place or they go straight to assault cannons.

Right, that's why I said the MG strength rules are pointless and uncessary except to make only the strongest Trolls in the world use this awful subclass of weaponry.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Apr 24 2014, 09:28 AM) *
I kinda figured the stats would get shredded in places (and probably rightfully so). Out of idle curiosity, has anyone actually read the story? smile.gif

I have no Electronic Book Hardware/Media, so I tend to miss out on such things.
Can it be read as a PDF?

EDIT: Per Battleshop, it is PDF readable, so next time I am spending money, I will likely pick it up. smile.gif
Patrick Goodman
Yup. This link will allow you to purchase a ZIP with the PDF, epub, and mobi versions.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Apr 24 2014, 09:51 AM) *
Yup. This link will allow you to purchase a ZIP with the PDF, epub, and mobi versions.

Awesome, Thanks Patrick. smile.gif
bannockburn
Another small nitpick, though not first-hand:
Apparently, Ravenheart has several watchers but not the rituals required.

Anyhow, looking forward to read it, as soon as I've got a bit of disposable income.
Sendaz
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Apr 24 2014, 04:36 PM) *

Maybe they are astral stalkers/fanspirits who just follow her and slavishly do favours for approval? nyahnyah.gif
Vegetaman
Boy I picked a great time to get into the Shadowrun novella e-books last week. Just snagged this off amazon and hope to read it this weekend.

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Apr 23 2014, 05:05 PM) *
From your mouth to God's ears....

There's not a plan for me to do a novel yet, though I'm campaigning for it. FWIW, though, the story in Sister is more than twice as long as the story portion of Another Rainy Night. Just guessing, the next one (tentatively title Red Rain and just barely in progress) will likely be in the same to a bit larger range (ARN was about 10K words, SASS is about 25K words, and RR as I'm outlining it will be in the neighborhood of 25-40K words).

I've got a bunch of other stories, most of which seem to be falling into the novella category. Maybe I'll do one of my SR stories for NaNoWriMo this year. We'll see what shakes out.

I've been itching to get my hands on some new physical Shadowrun novels for years now (I just got into the novels around the time of the SR3/SR4 transition era, so my collection is like 12 novels at this point); and I enjoy your writing -- so best of luck to you in this endeavor!
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Apr 24 2014, 04:36 PM) *

Apparently, the means of summoning a watcher changed between SR4 and SR5. I probably mangled that in the conversion.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Apr 24 2014, 05:44 PM) *
Apparently, the means of summoning a watcher changed between SR4 and SR5. I probably mangled that in the conversion.

Sadly, it did indeed. A change that some are very unhappy about. frown.gif
Sengir
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Apr 24 2014, 06:25 PM) *

Fair assumption. MMGs might be less common on equipment lists than Thor Shots biggrin.gif
Rubic
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 24 2014, 11:19 AM) *
Hail... Hydra?

Run away, very fast...

Ah, [insert expletive]. I actually kind of liked this one. Sorry, but have to put you to the TORCH (Transnational Order for the Removal and Containment of Hydra). Zero presence, zero remains. Cut off a head, and two will take its place, but burn off a head and only ashes will remain.
Aria
Like the story so far...have to confess to looking at the rules first though nyahnyah.gif Any cost for the personalised grip mod? Same as SR4?

Thanks!
Nemo
In previous SR-Editions dwarfs infected by HMHVV I became Goblins. Does that change in SR5? On page 3 Seamus O’Toole is described as a dwarf and Vampire.
Patrick Goodman
Generally, they become goblins. Occasionally, metatypes other than humans become vampires (canon since SR1, reinforced in "The Infected" in Running Wild).

Basically, Seamus is a freak of nature. But it was a deliberate choice, not an error, and not a change in HMHVV for 5th Edition.
Nemo
Thank you very much for the quick reply.
Sengir
QUOTE (Nemo @ Apr 25 2014, 06:26 PM) *
Seamus O’Toole is described as a dwarf and Vampire.

Somebody please remind me, where did I read that name before?
Patrick Goodman
Did you read the Shadowrun Returns Anthology?
Nemo
How does Anne Ravenheart get "Spellcasting 10 (Combat Spells +2)"?

In the Street Legends Supplemental she has "Spellcasting (Combat Spells) 6 (+2)", and the highest Value for Skills in SR4a is 7, iIrc.

I like the Story. When is the next part planned?
Bull
QUOTE (Nemo @ Apr 27 2014, 04:32 PM) *
How does Anne Ravenheart get "Spellcasting 10 (Combat Spells +2)"?

In the Street Legends Supplemental she has "Spellcasting (Combat Spells) 6 (+2)", and the highest Value for Skills in SR4a is 7, iIrc.

I like the Story. When is the next part planned?

It's dual statted. I would assume (DOn't have the file handy offhand) that this is her SR5 skill.
Patrick Goodman
What Bull said. And Red Rain (very tentative title at this point) is in the planning stages as we speak.
Nemo
It is in the SR4 Stats. At SR5 it is "Spellcasting 11 (Combat spells +2)"

Good to hear that the next part is in planning.
binarywraith
QUOTE (Samoth @ Apr 24 2014, 10:04 AM) *
No problem (by the way, not trying to sound confrontational.) My point is now beyond looking through a poorly laid-out main book, a couple of PDF-only releases and a few supplements for rules, NOW we have to check the back of a novel for stuff too! Not exactly convenient.

BBB pg. 430
Machine guns come in three varieties—light, medium,
and heavy—that determine their ranges. All, even the
“light” ones, are in fact very heavy and large. A light
machine gun is physically bigger and heavier than an
assault rifle. MMGs and HMGs could be carried by
someone with Strength of 8+ and 10+ (respectively),

but they work better as vehicle-mounted weapons.

http://cdn.shadowruntabletop.com/wp-conten...tats.pdf?4713c7
Anne only has 3 strength.

I suppose she could be carrying it around (in a wheelbarrow?) to use as a vehicle mounted weapon, except she has Heavy Weapons 7 (Machine Guns) and no Gunnery skill so I don't think so.

GGL Editing Team ™ progress continues unabated. biggrin.gif

That said, glad to see you getting more fiction published, Patrick!
Sengir
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Apr 26 2014, 03:31 AM) *
Did you read the Shadowrun Returns Anthology?

Yep, but it's seemingly not in my SR folder, which explains why search didn't find it wink.gif
Patrick Goodman
Well, that's where you've seen Seamus before. And yes, it's the same character, for those wondering. smile.gif
Sendaz
Now just picture him with a gravelly voice going "Im BatDwarf!"
Patrick Goodman
You could imagine him played by Denis Leary, which his original player says is the perfect piece of casting.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Apr 28 2014, 04:06 PM) *
You could imagine him played by Denis Leary, which his original player says is the perfect piece of casting.

Is he wearing Fish Boots?
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 29 2014, 06:41 AM) *
Is he wearing Fish Boots?

Is he stealing Bill Hicks routines?
Patrick Goodman
I ask again: Is anyone enjoying the actual story? I can tell, by some of the questions, that it's being read. I'm just curious at this point what people think.
PiXeL01
I thought it was a good story, very captivating. It is always good to read inspiring and well-written fiction. I was actually surprised to see Colonel Ravenheart make an appearance.
Also the tie in with rules was a surprise to me. More ingame information about the vampire organization could have been nice.

(Speaking of making it out of CHicago and as a HUGE "Burning Bright" fan, do you have any intel on the status of Kyle Teller and Seeks-the-Moon? At least did they make it out alive?)

Sorry to divert to a rules question; I too would like to know the cost of the personalized grip for SR5. Also, why is the DV for the Predator III lower than V? I would have thought they used the same ammonition.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012