Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What does a Rating mean in-universe?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DarkSoldier84
So you get a good Assensing roll and determine the exact Rating of a spirit. How do you go about communicating that information in-character? I can't see a combat mage turn to his allies and say "That's a Force Five air spirit." Okay, maybe if he's a hermetic with a strict scientific paradigm, but what about others? How does a Christian theurge identify that same Force 5 air spirit? How do you ask for Rating 4a skillwires? Do corporations have brand names that correspond to ratings and grades?
Sendaz
An excellent question.

The answer depends on how IC you want to be.

Many tables allow a little bending and let you say, 'Hey, that's a Force 5 Spook!'

But for a more IC response, you might use comparisons.
If you are magic 5 and spirit is Force 5, you could say you are about the same power.
Now would your street sam agree with that? Maybe, maybe not but it gives some point of reference.
ShadowDragon8685
I think I recall something from an old SR3 book, IIRC it was Wired, where a program or something was tested at Rating 6.18 or something.

So it might well be an in-character air measurement.
Jaid
typical example for most games i can think of would be something like "that's a spirit of the 5th circle" or similar.

alternately, if you're lazy, you can just call it a force 5 spirit and assume that your character in-game is calling it something more appropriate.
Medicineman
alternately, if you're lazy, you can just call it a force 5 spirit and assume that your character in-game is calling it something more appropriate.

Thats Meh (ImO). Ingame is Ingame, Outgame is Outgame !!

what about saying:
thats a Low Spirit(lvl 1-3)
Medium (Lvl 3-6) High, very High
or even
OMG RUN !!! eek.gif

HokaHey
Medicineman
Cain
Actually, I recall reading somewhere that some traditions (like Hermetics) actually did have exact values for magical things. Of course, that doesn't mean they all *agree* on what those ratings are called, or where they should be, or so on. Legally, though, most anything Force 3 or greater was restricted, so there must be some standard, somewhere, to tell if something is illegally powerful or not.
toturi
I suspect it would be like how people would refer to the speed of a car or the strength of an earthquake.

"The car was doing 50 in a 20 area!"
"A 5.5 earthquake!"
ravensmuse
Think about how your / player's character's tradition defines spirits, then work from there.

"It's a spirit of the fifth circle."

"That's Baphomet, He of the Second Chair."

"Holy shit, it's a max'd stat Charizard!"
Mantis
For gear, check out the cyberware suites in Augmentation. All of the bits that go into a given a suite have a brand name. Ratings are common for things in the real world so I would expect them to be so in the SR world too. We love to quantify stuff in one way or another.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Apr 25 2014, 03:14 AM) *
HokaHey
Medicineman

You missed an opportunity there, MedicineMan. You should've signed off "With a Rating 5 Dance" or something.

QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Apr 25 2014, 06:56 AM) *
Think about how your / player's character's tradition defines spirits, then work from there.

"It's a spirit of the fifth circle."

"That's Baphomet, He of the Second Chair."

"Holy shit, it's a max'd stat Charizard!"

Oh, that reminds me of the favorite Shadowrun game I ever ran. One of the players was an amnesiac Neotenic elf who looked like she was about 13 going on 14. (She was actually 24.) She had Glamour, and I ruled that that applied to Domestic animals, too. Weird shit tended to happen around her, like big, trained newfoundland dogs ignoring their master to go be with her, or magicians summoning Spirits around her who botch but not critically get exactly the spirit they wanted, only it came out in the form of a Pokémon. (The players liked that one so much I made it a theme; summoning spirits around her gets you Pokémon.)
Stahlseele
seeing how a mage can, with a good astral perception/ascanning roll tell in game how much essence somebody has left exactly to dezimals, i think using force in game is completely justified . .
Draco18s
Reminds me that some of my friends had to come up with an in-game measurement of mana for GURPS. They all went, "ok, give me 'the amount of magical energy required to start a small fire.' We'll call that 'one thaum'" (I don't remember what word they used as their measurement).

Because "1 game mana unit" was the amount needed to start a fire and was as small as you could get, crunch wise.

The people living in the Shadowrun world are going to have a similar convention. They might not all use the same one (feet vs. meters) but there will be a framework. So just call it Force and use game terms. Because at the table, no one cares that you're playing a character that has a different gender, so why muddy the conceptual waters by creating a second unit of measure that has a 1:1 relationship with Force?
Umidori
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 26 2014, 05:55 AM) *
seeing how a mage can, with a good astral perception/ascanning roll tell in game how much essence somebody has left exactly to dezimals, i think using force in game is completely justified . .

They can tell mechanically, sure, but that's no different than knowing your own character's Body rating. If their characters are talking about how beefy an enemy Troll is, they don't say "Dang, that fragger has a Body of 12!", they say "Dang, that fragger's built like a brick shithouse!".

Personally, as a GM I always try to convert any such numbers that crop up from things like Assensing into reasonable in-world descriptions, but at the same time if the player prompts me for an actual number, I'll of course supply it to keep them from guessing and being uncertain.

Me: "Although he looks normal enough in meatspace, your close scrutiny on the astral reveals that the Johnson's aura looks like it's been through a meatgrinder. The presence of quite a lot of cyberware is obvious from your assensing."
Player: "Quite a lot?"
Me: "His Essence is 0.9 points."
Player: "Oh. I see. Hrrm."

Sometimes they don't ask for more info, sometimes they do. Depends on the player and the moment.

~Umi
Medicineman
You missed an opportunity there, MedicineMan. You should've signed off "With a Rating 5 Dance" or something.

I'll try harder next time biggrin.gif

with Essence I often use traffic light ranges
Ess 6-3 Green Range
3-1 is Yellow Range
and <1 is Red Range
thats what Doctors and Mages use to describe a patients Essence range or when they assense him

with an essential Dance
Medicineman
Stahlseele
isn't it in universe described as how powerfull of a "light" source it is?
colours were always used for emotions instead.
Medicineman
that too
(from the pure assensing-Point-of-View)
But its a good way for a doctor too describe a Patients condition
So a medical Mage could say:
"the Patients Essence is in the green range, his Aura is bright and of Orange Color.
we can transplant the Cybereyes now"

HougH!
Medicineman
Stahlseele
Doctor looks at Mage:"Dude, i told you to stop smoking before work"
Medicineman
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 28 2014, 01:33 PM) *
Doctor looks at Mage:"Dude, i told you to stop smoking before work"

Mage looks at Doctor with a "Mr.Spock raised Eyebrow "
....ooO( I woul SO like to work with Professionals,....just once ,Oh Gods,please just once)

with a silent Dance
Medicineman
Cain
QUOTE (Umidori @ Apr 28 2014, 07:08 AM) *
They can tell mechanically, sure, but that's no different than knowing your own character's Body rating. If their characters are talking about how beefy an enemy Troll is, they don't say "Dang, that fragger has a Body of 12!", they say "Dang, that fragger's built like a brick shithouse!".

Personally, as a GM I always try to convert any such numbers that crop up from things like Assensing into reasonable in-world descriptions, but at the same time if the player prompts me for an actual number, I'll of course supply it to keep them from guessing and being uncertain.

Actually, some magical traditions do refer to magical stuff by rating numbers. I seem to recall encountering this in Awakenings, but I might be wrong on the book reference. There is a standardized measuring system for magic. The problem is that there's actually several of them, and not everyone agrees on which one is better. (E.g., metric versus Imperial measurements.) For game purposes, it's easier to simply use Ratings, of course; but there's no reason to worry if a character uses ratings in game.
Umidori
It's more immersive if they don't use rating in game, of course - unless they do follow one of those traditions that rate via numbers, but even then, it's unlikely that most such traditions would just happen to measure Essence on a 6 point scale. nyahnyah.gif

~Umi
Curator
are cyberware's appearance based on the grade right, standard/alpha/beta/delta? not the rating of the ware.

so standard cybereyes look like you have 2 little camera's for iris's while alpha look almost human. then beta, which is custom made, looks very human-like and delta are basically impossible to tell. then when you add rating, you're basically adding more capacity and not a different model. right?

like buying 2 mp3 players both 16gb memory but one's an ipod that worth $185 and the other's a sandisk worth $40. same capacity but the nicer one has a lil more bells and whistles but really does the same function
Umidori
Grades have nothing to do with appearance and everything to do with better design, craftsmanship, materials, and installation, minimizing the amount of dissonance between the machine and the body, and thus damaging one's Essence less. Higher grade cyberware is specifically built to "mesh" more cleanly than lower grade stuff does.

Cybereyes look like whatever you want them to, regardless of grade - they are specifically stated in their listing as coming in a number of varieties, ranging from Batou style sensor discs, to completely natural looking, to natural-if-not-for-being-bright-pink, to whatever else you feel like. They're even specifically stated to often be programmable via a user's PAN, with it being trivially easy to swap out "skins" for your cybereyes.

Further proof: if grade determined appearance, Cyberlimbs wouldn't come in their two styles of Obvious and Synthetic - or if they did, those options would be restricted by Grade. They are plainly not. nyahnyah.gif

~Umi
Medicineman
QUOTE (Curator @ Apr 28 2014, 11:06 PM) *
are cyberware's appearance based on the grade right, standard/alpha/beta/delta? not the rating of the ware.

so standard cybereyes look like you have 2 little camera's for iris's while alpha look almost human. then beta, which is custom made, looks very human-like and delta are basically impossible to tell. then when you add rating, you're basically adding more capacity and not a different model. right?

Wrong ! smile.gif
All Cybereyes (no matter what Grade)
can look totally normal/Human or totally cyber
that depends upon your taste, not the grade of the 'ware

with a tasteful Dance
Medicineman
Curator
ok
sk8bcn
QUOTE (DarkSoldier84 @ Apr 25 2014, 03:46 AM) *
So you get a good Assensing roll and determine the exact Rating of a spirit. How do you go about communicating that information in-character? I can't see a combat mage turn to his allies and say "That's a Force Five air spirit." Okay, maybe if he's a hermetic with a strict scientific paradigm, but what about others? How does a Christian theurge identify that same Force 5 air spirit? How do you ask for Rating 4a skillwires? Do corporations have brand names that correspond to ratings and grades?

I guess it's intuitive for the character.

It's like if you watched sports. You'd tell yourself Leo Messi is incredibly quick and agile more than Dani Alves and so on.

You're able to class them, and pretty accurately if you're an expert. I guess you could score them, even if necessary.

I see it as just the same for the assessing mage: the Player knows he's Force 5, the character knows he's stronger than last he conjured, weaker than the one from last weak and on par with the whone he banished a month ago. Hard to describe, but pretty intuitive.
Sengir
The Aztlan book also has Force used in character (when discussing the summoning of blood spirits). And IMO it makes sense, because prices, legality and other stuff are based on Force. Without IC Force ratings, how would anyone judge that a focus is illegal? "Based on my training and experience™ it kinda felt, like, a bit too far on the strong-ish side"?
Cain
Just because there's numbers for something doesn't mean everyone will understand them.

I don't know much about cars. I know that engines are rated in horsepower, but what exactly that translates to in practical terms is beyond me. So, if somebody tells me an engine has over 9000 horsepower, I'm going to smile and nod, since I have no idea what that means.

The same thing applies here. Most characters in the Shadowrun world aren't going to have a clue what Force ratings actually mean. The players get to figure out how to tell one another, in game. Using the actual ratings is shorthand for that description, but you can assume that they've accurately described things to one another. If someone tried to explain horsepower to me, I'm sure I'd understand the examples they used; shadowrunners can be assumed to do the same.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Cain @ Apr 29 2014, 12:05 PM) *
Just because there's numbers for something doesn't mean everyone will understand them.

I don't know much about cars. I know that engines are rated in horsepower, but what exactly that translates to in practical terms is beyond me.

The same thing applies here. If someone tried to explain horsepower to me, I'm sure I'd understand the examples they used; shadowrunners can be assumed to do the same.

Not so sure about that one... I have looked... there sure as hell isn't room in an engine compartment for 500 Horses. Not even in the BiG vehicles. frown.gif eek.gif wobble.gif
Sendaz
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 29 2014, 06:00 PM) *
Not so sure about that one... I have looked... there sure as hell isn't room in an engine compartment for 500 Horses. Not even in the BiG vehicles. frown.gif eek.gif wobble.gif

500 MLP maybe? nyahnyah.gif

Driving is Magic™
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Apr 29 2014, 05:10 PM) *
500 MLP maybe? nyahnyah.gif

Please... No, for the love of all that is Holy. eek.gif
sk8bcn
QUOTE (Sengir @ Apr 29 2014, 03:39 PM) *
The Aztlan book also has Force used in character (when discussing the summoning of blood spirits). And IMO it makes sense, because prices, legality and other stuff are based on Force. Without IC Force ratings, how would anyone judge that a focus is illegal? "Based on my training and experience™ it kinda felt, like, a bit too far on the strong-ish side"?

good point!
Umidori
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 29 2014, 05:11 PM) *

I dunno - they could be in liquid form. Probably have to be, to fit.

*polishes an industrial blender*

Anyone want smoothies?

~Umi
Sendaz
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 29 2014, 07:11 PM) *

but.... but I bet it moves like greased lightning . wink.gif
Moirdryd
Plenty of cases in Sr2 and 3 where things like Force is used IC
Iduno
QUOTE (Sengir @ Apr 29 2014, 08:39 AM) *

I can see an officer saying that, but more for bribery purposes than because they actually believed it.

Overall, I'd say that making players figure out how their characters understand rating is like making the figure out how to spend the corporate script or foreign currency (especially in Denver) they got paid in. Interesting for fluff reasons, but it's easier to assume your character knows the sixth world better than you do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012