Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Street Magic 5th WHEN
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kazuhiro
My group has always considered Street Magic to be the most important of the splat books. The fact that the Assassin's Handbook somehow had higher priority than Street Magic and the ability to make sick James Bond-style vehicles is endlessly frustrating to us. The saddest part is that cars used to be in the same splat book as guns, but now we have to wait for a Rigger-specific splat book...

What's really horrible is that Street Magic isn't even in the list of upcoming things--suggesting that we'll have setting books and campaigns before we'll have more than the book's extremely limited selection of magic!

While we're waiting, what kind of trends in drain amounts, power point costs, and power level might we want to follow when converting Street Magic to 5th edition?
The Overlord
The assassins primer came out early because it was a booklet. cheap, short, and easy to put out, its something i expect they will do more of in the future, though i hope they don't get greedy. Don't expect the new Magic book to be coming out any time soon given their current track record with things. They have become a little slow it SEEMS(i only started playing at the end of 4e so i don't know how punctual they were before) in putting out content and their current model for writing books is based on having multiple freelancers work on it together(or so i hear). I am kind of unhappy with the time they took to release Run&Gun (which i have some issues with), and wish they had made a regularly updated post of the errata (starting with spelling or other obvious mistakes) rather than waiting a long time to post at once, BUT I am not going to start throwing a tantrum that they haven't said much about it (not that I'm implying you are or anything smile.gif )

As for conversion of material:
-For spells i removed the "divide" part and maybe add/subtract 1 or 2 to the "+x", using spells that look similar as a reference.
-For adept powers most of the primary ones in the 5e book had the same PP cost in 4e, so i just use the same value. Though what they do may need tinkering.
-As magician/adept/etc is no longer a quality, and the quality costs have changed so much, im not sure how to handle them.
Tanegar
Personally, I think Shadowrun ("Where Man Meets Magic & Machine") could use a few more machines, and a little less magic.
mister__joshua
While I will undoubtedly get the 5th Edition Street Magic replacement, I think the most important sourcebook this edition will be the Matrix book. I like the Matrix rules in 5th. They're easy to use for the first time ever in a system, but it's only half there. With the other half I think they'd be great smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Apr 30 2014, 06:51 AM) *
Personally, I think Shadowrun ("Where Man Meets Magic & Machine") could use a few more machines, and a little less magic.

Ain't that the truth. I miss my Machines. frown.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Apr 30 2014, 07:35 AM) *
While I will undoubtedly get the 5th Edition Street Magic replacement, I think the most important sourcebook this edition will be the Matrix book. I like the Matrix rules in 5th. They're easy to use for the first time ever in a system, but it's only half there. With the other half I think they'd be great smile.gif

The other half being acceptable Technomancers. frown.gif
Shortstraw
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Apr 30 2014, 11:51 PM) *

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 1 2014, 01:21 AM) *
Ain't that the truth. I miss my Machines. frown.gif

Umm... I don't want 6th edition yet?
tasti man LH
...actually, if their Twitter is any indication, it sounded like Street Grimoire is the next rulebook to be released after Run & Gun...but not until afte Stolen Souls is released.
Sengir
QUOTE (tasti man LH @ Apr 30 2014, 08:06 PM) *
...actually, if their Twitter is any indication, it sounded like Street Grimoire is the next rulebook to be released after Run & Gun...but not until afte Stolen Souls is released.

Great, so I waded into the depths of Twitter, which
a) is bad in itself
b) told me nothing about the release of a magic book
c) dashed my hopes of seeing a usable chargen system this year https://twitter.com/catalystgamelab/status/...717079630094336

Great job, LH...

PS: I know, the companion book typically comes "later". But one can hope, right?
tasti man LH
QUOTE (Sengir @ Apr 30 2014, 02:40 PM) *
Great, so I waded into the depths of Twitter, which
a) is bad in itself
b) told me nothing about the release of a magic book
c) dashed my hopes of seeing a usable chargen system this year https://twitter.com/catalystgamelab/status/...717079630094336

Great job, LH...

PS: I know, the companion book typically comes "later". But one can hope, right?

Hey, no shooting the messenger! The truth can be a harsh mistress, y'know?

And while I couldn't find the original Tweet, I DID find the FB post of the mention of Street Grimoire:
Today's Phrase that Pays is lifted directly from the art notes for Street Grimoire: "corrupted coconut octopus." jmh

Source

I won't deny that that's not much to go on, but there hasn't exactly been many explicit references or mentions of the other rulebooks (Data Trails, Run Faster, whatever-the-hell-Augmentation-5th-is-called). Take it for what you will.

cndblank
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Apr 30 2014, 07:51 AM) *

Agreed!
Sengir
QUOTE (tasti man LH @ May 1 2014, 07:18 AM) *

...but you can't kill the truth, so somebody else has to do nyahnyah.gif
Umidori
QUOTE (tasti man LH @ Apr 30 2014, 10:18 PM) *

And while I couldn't find the original Tweet, I DID find the FB post of the mention of Street Grimoire:

Source

I won't deny that that's not much to go on, but there hasn't exactly been many explicit references or mentions of the other rulebooks (Data Trails, Run Faster, whatever-the-hell-Augmentation-5th-is-called). Take it for what you will.

Clearly it's a cipher! nyahnyah.gif

Let's see... an octopus has eight legs... and coconuts are round like a zero... but no clue what "corrupted" could mean. So we've got 3 numbers, ? / 0 / 8, which could be a calendar date? Or the number of days remaining until release?

But! Turns out coconut octopi in particular are a curious species of octopi - they're one of two species of octopus known to display "bidepal" behavior! Two species of octopus known for walking on two legs! Coincidence? I think not! So maybe it's only 2 numbers, ? and 2! (Or possibly ? and 4, if we parse two bidepal octopi to be 2^2!)

We still need to figure out the "corrupted" bit, though! Hrrm.

I've got it! What do you get if you take an octopus, make it bidepal, and then corrupt it? You guessed, it Cthulhu!

Now, what the hell does that tell us? Cthulhu isn't a number! Unless...

Aha! I've cracked it!

You see, 121 is 11 squared. Eleven is 1 and 1 which equals two. And 121 has one 2 and two 1s. 1+2 is 3 and three is C. 11 minus one is 10 and ten times 2 is 20 and 20 is T. 1+2 is 3 and 2 times 2 times 2 is 8 and 8 is H. And now it get’s spooky. 121 can be interpreted as 1×21 and 21 is U. Along the same line it is possible to interpret it as 12×1 and that is L. 121 contains 3 and 4 twice 1+2 is 3 and 2+1 is 3. 1+1 is 2 and 2 is 4 and 1+1 times 2 is also 4, so we can take 3 and 4 twice which in this case means (if you have paid attention) H and U. And what do we get if we line it all up:

CTHULHU!

Which means that Street Grimoire will be released exactly 121 days after the date that Facebook post was made! It's all so obvious now! wobble.gif

~Umi
Sendaz
QUOTE (Umidori @ May 2 2014, 02:40 PM) *
CTHULHU-Math Wall
~Umi
What are you drinking/smoking/using and why are you not sharing this with us?!?! grinbig.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sendaz @ May 2 2014, 01:23 PM) *
What are you drinking/smoking/using and why are you not sharing this with us?!?! grinbig.gif

Amen to that... eek.gif
Umidori
You're honestly telling me you've never tried drinking The Internet?

~Umi
adamu
QUOTE (Umidori @ May 2 2014, 08:40 PM) *
Clearly it's a cipher! nyahnyah.gif

Let's see... an octopus has eight legs... and coconuts are round like a zero... but no clue what "corrupted" could mean. So we've got 3 numbers, ? / 0 / 8, which could be a calendar date? Or the number of days remaining until release?

But! Turns out coconut octopi in particular are a curious species of octopi - they're one of two species of octopus known to display "bidepal" behavior! Two species of octopus known for walking on two legs! Coincidence? I think not! So maybe it's only 2 numbers, ? and 2! (Or possibly ? and 4, if we parse two bidepal octopi to be 2^2!)

We still need to figure out the "corrupted" bit, though! Hrrm.

I've got it! What do you get if you take an octopus, make it bidepal, and then corrupt it? You guessed, it Cthulhu!

Now, what the hell does that tell us? Cthulhu isn't a number! Unless...

Aha! I've cracked it!

You see, 121 is 11 squared. Eleven is 1 and 1 which equals two. And 121 has one 2 and two 1s. 1+2 is 3 and three is C. 11 minus one is 10 and ten times 2 is 20 and 20 is T. 1+2 is 3 and 2 times 2 times 2 is 8 and 8 is H. And now it get’s spooky. 121 can be interpreted as 1×21 and 21 is U. Along the same line it is possible to interpret it as 12×1 and that is L. 121 contains 3 and 4 twice 1+2 is 3 and 2+1 is 3. 1+1 is 2 and 2 is 4 and 1+1 times 2 is also 4, so we can take 3 and 4 twice which in this case means (if you have paid attention) H and U. And what do we get if we line it all up:

CTHULHU!

Which means that Street Grimoire will be released exactly 121 days after the date that Facebook post was made! It's all so obvious now! wobble.gif

~Umi

Possibly the best discussion post EVER.
Brought a smile to my evening.

Think I'll youtube an old episode of Batman now...
Shemhazai
There is probably an illustration of a monstrous octopus thing in the upcoming book.
Umidori
Nah, it'll probably just be a friggen' Copy And Paste job of the Incubus entry from Running Wild.

~Umi
Shortstraw
QUOTE (Umidori @ May 3 2014, 10:06 AM) *
Nah, it'll probably just be a friggen' Copy And Paste job of the Incubus entry from Running Wild.

~Umo

Except they will add PC playability (and a wireless bonus).
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Shortstraw @ May 2 2014, 06:00 PM) *
Except they will add PC playability (and a wireless bonus).

Can't forget the Wireless Bonus.
Umidori
Wireless Bonus: Opponents suffer -2 dice on all Sanity Tests made while within 100 meters.

~Umi
Medicineman
QUOTE (Shemhazai @ May 2 2014, 04:40 PM) *
There is probably an illustration of a monstrous octopus thing in the upcoming book.

You mean something like that ?
http://www.cinema.de/bilder/monster-des-gr...09.html?page=3#
Imdb:
http://akas.imdb.com/media/rm518558464/tt0...ref_=tt_pv_md_2
(They were running exactly this Movie last night in German TV)

with a Dance in a rubber costume
Medicineman
Shemhazai
QUOTE (Medicineman @ May 3 2014, 01:25 AM) *

That's "corrupted gilligan's island." I could see that working in anime, but not Shadowrun.
Sengir
QUOTE (Shemhazai @ May 3 2014, 05:48 PM) *
That's "corrupted gilligan's island." I could see that working in anime, but not Shadowrun.

X-rated anime, to be precise biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012