Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smartphone Friendly Game
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Plasteel Frankenstein
Hello,
I'm about to start a new campaign with some friends. None of us have played this setting (i dabbled with the 2nd edition years ago), but it's pretty clear some of the current setting is influenced by our own real world tech. Commlinks are clearly super powered cellphones, and the game fluff even references several pieces of software (apps) for the PCs to use.
What I'm looking for are suggestions from the community about any cellphone apps you may use either as a gaming aid, or as a storytelling aid. I'm thinking about unique messenger apps, custom maps, maybe virtual storefronts (assuming such a thing exists).
The whole crew is tech savvy and has smartphones, and we've already downloaded mobile runner to use for character storage.

Thanks
Cain
A character assistant of some sort will definitely come in handy, especially with character building but also with tracking. I don't know what's out there for SR5, but there were a couple of spreadsheets for SR4.5 that could work on a smartphone. I use a paid app that opens and edits any MS Office and most Libre Office documents on my phone-- you can probably find a free app that does the same.

A pdf reader is really useful for carrying the rulebooks. Much lighter, too. I prefer a tablet for this since the screen is bigger, but a smartphone will do in a pinch.

There are lots of free dice rollers out there, which get useful when you've optimized a character and are rolling buckets of dice. I'm old fashioned enough to prefer actual dice when I play, but combined with a tracker it can help keep count of how many dice you should be rolling.

Draco18s
Beyond:
Sheet
Books
Dice

I'm not sure what you'd actually be looking for.

Pretty much how I play Pathfinder now; all I need is my Galaxy Tab3.
Cain
QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 6 2014, 09:09 AM) *
Beyond:
Sheet
Books
Dice

I'm not sure what you'd actually be looking for.

Tracking, especially if it's integrated with a dice roller.

SR5 is modifier heavy. While I find it's worth it to pre-calculate all the static modifiers, there's a bundle of situational ones that add up quickly, and it's easy to miss them if you're not paying attention. If you could write a program that took the data off your character sheet, then had you add in the modifiers, and then sent that information to a dice roller, it would make things very smooth.

A friend of mine wrote a similar program for D&D 4e. You could select all the applicable modifiers, and it would keep track of your bonuses for you. It also tracked your AEDU resources, hit point total, and so on. It then put all that into a dice roller, and exported the results to Maptools, so everyone could see what you rolled. It was a pretty slick piece of work, and it shouldn't be too hard to develop something similar for SR5.
Lobo0705
Use Dropbox - create a folder for the run that you have access to, and another that they do.

Upload maps and pictures to use as props, and when they are sent to the player's commlinks, move the file from one folder to the other.

If you can text and talk at the same time, you can communicate with member of the team via text instead of talking - It means that they get to role-play what they received as a message rather than the rest of the group overhearing it OOC.

Use Google Maps to create a map of your campaign and update it each time they go to a new location. It will create your version of a campaign world where you can reuse locations from game to game and keep continuity.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ May 6 2014, 02:31 PM) *
Use Dropbox - create a folder for the run that you have access to, and another that they do.

Upload maps and pictures to use as props, and when they are sent to the player's commlinks, move the file from one folder to the other.

If you can text and talk at the same time, you can communicate with member of the team via text instead of talking - It means that they get to role-play what they received as a message rather than the rest of the group overhearing it OOC.

Use Google Maps to create a map of your campaign and update it each time they go to a new location. It will create your version of a campaign world where you can reuse locations from game to game and keep continuity.

I'm in Lobo's PbP and these have been incredible game enhancers for us.
Plasteel Frankenstein
Those are some wonderful ideas!

Does an app like Cain suggested exist?

I will definitely be using the options mentioned by Lobo!
Cain
QUOTE (Plasteel Frankenstein @ May 6 2014, 11:12 PM) *
Those are some wonderful ideas!

Does an app like Cain suggested exist?

Not for SR5, at least not that I know of. For SR4.5, I think Chummer had a dice roller function, and you should be able to add one to one of the spreadsheet generators.
AccessControl
QUOTE (Cain @ May 7 2014, 02:30 AM) *
Not for SR5, at least not that I know of. For SR4.5, I think Chummer had a dice roller function, and you should be able to add one to one of the spreadsheet generators.

Think you're referring to Mobile Runner for SR4.5 (which could import Chummer characters), and yes, it did have an integrated dice roller.

Hopefully someone puts out something like this for SR5. I'd do it, but I know bugger-all about programming and would probably end up with a steaming pile of drek rather than a working application.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012