Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The WINCHESTER MODEL 2067
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
It looks like our group is going to be going to ground and leaving Seattle on a stolen ship, after which we're going to be hopping from port to port for a bit. One result of this is that opportunities to get new supplies are going to be somewhat sporadic.

My character, Zero, favors semi-automatic pistols and sports rifles. As a result I am hoping to consolidate my general use ammunition supply with the Winchester Model 2067 for a primary weapon, and Ares Predator as my primary sidearm, and a Colt Agent Special as my concealed carry. The strength here is that all of these weapons use Heavy Pistol ammunition, which is one of the most common types of ammunition we run into (most hostiles we run into carry heavy pistol sidearms) and means that a single ammunition pool will feed all my regular use weapons (I have shotgun and sports rifle ammunition for my other guns, but there's no assurance I'll get to restock any time soon so I'll be frugal with them).

My problem is that the Winchester Model 2067 isn't really that fantastic a gun. Can anyone suggest other heavy pistol ammunition using guns that I should look into?
DrZaius
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ May 6 2014, 07:03 AM) *
It looks like our group is going to be going to ground and leaving Seattle on a stolen ship, after which we're going to be hopping from port to port for a bit. One result of this is that opportunities to get new supplies are going to be somewhat sporadic.

My character, Zero, favors semi-automatic pistols and sports rifles. As a result I am hoping to consolidate my general use ammunition supply with the Winchester Model 2067 for a primary weapon, and Ares Predator as my primary sidearm, and a Colt Agent Special as my concealed carry. The strength here is that all of these weapons use Heavy Pistol ammunition, which is one of the most common types of ammunition we run into (most hostiles we run into carry heavy pistol sidearms) and means that a single ammunition pool will feed all my regular use weapons (I have shotgun and sports rifle ammunition for my other guns, but there's no assurance I'll get to restock any time soon so I'll be frugal with them).

My problem is that the Winchester Model 2067 isn't really that fantastic a gun. Can anyone suggest other heavy pistol ammunition using guns that I should look into?

Well, I think part of the issue is that you're looking for something to replace the Winchester using Heavy Pistol Ammo. Is it really that important that you keep all your ammo the same? I realize it has a cost associated with it, but regular ammo is dirt cheap. How many rifle rounds are you planning on firing in a given month? 20, tops?

Any other weapon that uses Heavy Pistol Ammo isn't going to get you what you want; range. The sport rifle range categories are so much larger than heavy pistols that almost anything is better once you get past 100 meters or so.

My 2 nuyen.gif . Not sure what else to offer; you own Gun Heaven so you know what else is available out there. The only other thing I can think of is modifying a heavy pistol with lots of range modifications (scopes and whatnot).
nylanfs
While looking up a heavy pistol with a scope I came acrossed this image, not useful for you but looks hilarious.

[img]http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/230/3/7/Gauss_Pistol_by_dfacto.jpg[/img]
Daylen
Does 5e have rules yet for custom firearms? A longer barrel, increased power, BF/FA, maybe a foregrip and shoulder stock would have you ready to go with a Heavy Pistol.
psychophipps
QUOTE (Daylen @ May 6 2014, 07:40 PM) *
Does 5e have rules yet for custom firearms? A longer barrel, increased power, BF/FA, maybe a foregrip and shoulder stock would have you ready to go with a Heavy Pistol.

Many current custom gunsmiths are actually shortening the barrels of their rifles due to the reduced "whip" from the bullet going down the barrel with each shot and seeing an actual improvement in accuracy at range. once you get to 20-inch barrels or so, you really don't see much difference in most calibers with a longer barrel.
Daylen
QUOTE (psychophipps @ May 7 2014, 01:17 AM) *
Many current custom gunsmiths are actually shortening the barrels of their rifles due to the reduced "whip" from the bullet going down the barrel with each shot and seeing an actual improvement in accuracy at range. once you get to 20-inch barrels or so, you really don't see much difference in most calibers with a longer barrel.

Heavy pistol (4" or 5" barrel not 20"), not rifle and I'm coming from 3e not IRL on thoughts. Its usually best to leave IRL away from SR rules, the two don't mix well.
Shortstraw
QUOTE (Daylen @ May 7 2014, 01:19 PM) *
Heavy pistol (4" or 5" barrel not 20"), not rifle and I'm coming from 3e not IRL on thoughts. Its usually best to leave IRL away from SR rules, the two don't mix well.

double.
Shortstraw
QUOTE (Daylen @ May 7 2014, 01:19 PM) *

Are you saying sacrificing that goat didn't let me initiate for less karma?
Sendaz
Jobu says chicken is better.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sendaz @ May 7 2014, 01:22 PM) *
Jobu says chicken is better.

Well... Chicken and Rum, anyways... smile.gif
And a smattering of Gunpowder to wake him up. smile.gif
Daylen
QUOTE (Shortstraw @ May 7 2014, 05:28 PM) *
Are you saying sacrificing that goat didn't let me initiate for less karma?

Who knows, but I bet it let you eat some tasty BBQ goat!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012