Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Matrix help please!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Aria
I've read through the rules (a while ago) but having come across a situation that isn't obviously covered (at least to me), so I thought I'd ask the matrix gurus here for some input!

I'm searching for someone via the matrix who has gone missing. I know their commcode and their approximate location as of 10 to fifteen minutes ago...so assuming their link hasn't been turned off / trashed, is there a way to pinpoint it's location? Let's also assume it isn't hidden for now...

Is it as simple as 'going' to the general location and doing a matrix perception check to find their persona/link? Do I need to trace their persona if I already know the location (again, assuming they aren't in VR and 'away' from their physical location)

Is there anything else I need to consider?

As my GM is just as likely to read this the chances of it being simple are pretty small but I'd like to at least start the process off in the right way nyahnyah.gif

Thanks!
Jaid
unless you're in a host, your matrix perception is based on the location of your device, not your persona. yes, that is incredibly stupid and nonsensical, but that's how it works, officially at least.

having said that, you can do a matrix perception test on something from any range, if you know one thing about the icon you're searching for. precisely what counts as one thing is not explained anywhere in the book, so your guess is as good as anyone else's, but i would guess that commcode is enough probably enough to just perform a matrix perception check. if you succeed (which is pretty likely if you're a hacker and your target is a commlink), you can immediately spot it. after that, you need to trace the icon, which may or may not require you to mark the device first (i can't remember, and i'm afb). tracing will give you the physical location of the device it is attached to.
Lobo0705
It basically works like this.

I'm assuming this person's commlink is not within 100 meters of your physical location (which, if he were not running silent, you would spot the icon automatically.)

Since he is over 100 meters, it requires a Matrix Perception test. Knowing their commcode is all the information you need.

Computer + Intuition, - Noise Modifiers, +2 for Hot Sim, and you need only a single hit (assuming he is not running silent). If he IS running silent, then it is an opposed test.

Once you've spotted the icon, you have to do a Hack on the Fly or Brute Force Action to put 2 Marks on his commlink (either do the action twice or take the modifier to put multiple Marks on with one action)

Then perform the Trace Icon action.

You don't have to actually have your Persona "go" anywhere.
adamu
thanks guys!!!

Big help, and you allowed me to procrastinate thoroughly learning the SR5 matrix rules just a little longer!
Aria
Yes, thanks very much!

As for the persona 'moving', isn't the matrix rendered in visual terms so that the brain can understand it? So I'm searching for something on the other side of the plant, don't I get a representation of a map, or feel my persona move there, something to make sense of what I'm seeing?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Aria @ May 8 2014, 03:49 PM) *
Yes, thanks very much!

As for the persona 'moving', isn't the matrix rendered in visual terms so that the brain can understand it? So I'm searching for something on the other side of the plant, don't I get a representation of a map, or feel my persona move there, something to make sense of what I'm seeing?

You probably have some sensation of "travel" but you don't actually go anywhere, just your perception changes.

Look at it this way. You are looking for someone's commlink. You aren't sure where it is, you just look for the commcode. Assuming you can overcome any noise penalty, and succeed on the Matrix Perception test, it will simply show you the icon - but it won't actually tell you where that icon is in the world.

You'd have to mark it twice and then perform a trace action.
Jaid
QUOTE (Aria @ May 8 2014, 03:49 PM) *
Yes, thanks very much!

that would make an awful lot of sense.

but it isn't what happens, unfortunately. your physical location is what determines your matrix perception. to perceive anything beyond 100 meters from your physical location (other than hosts, which are always considered to be within range), you need one piece of information about the target and then make an active test to perceive it.

on the flipside, that also means that someone with a piece of information about you can perceive you anywhere in the world (potentially), and you can only perceive them back if you take the step of trying to perceive them. which you have no reason to do in most cases unless they give you one (for example, if they make a successful matrix attack that doesn't brick your commlink. maybe. as i said earlier, it's not entirely clear what pieces of information will let you attempt your matrix perception test, just that if you have some vaguely defined information, you are able to make a test).

the exception in each case being if you have a mark. if you have a mark, no matrix perception test is needed.

you might be able to get some very general information through a matrix perception test, though; you can only be on certain grids if you are in the appropriate geographical location. for example, you can only access seattle's local grid if you're in seattle. the grid the target is on is probably something you can get from matrix perception, so for example you can potentially tell what city someone is in... although corporate grids won't tell you much. you *may* even be able to see some of the files on their device that would give you some useful information for determining location; for example, you might see a plane ticket, or a restaurant reservation, or a code to let you in to a hotel, or something like that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012