Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pilot and teamwork
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
Very simple. Can a vehicle make a Pilot+Maneuver check as a teamwork test to aid a metahuman driver?
What if the driver is rigged in?
Tanegar
I say no, on the grounds that (AFAIK) nothing in the book says a Pilot program assists the driver, and this would only add to dice-pool creep. Either the character is driving the vehicle, or the vehicle is driving itself; both of those things cannot be true at the same time.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jun 5 2014, 05:45 PM) *
I say no, on the grounds that (AFAIK) nothing in the book says a Pilot program assists the driver, and this would only add to dice-pool creep. Either the character is driving the vehicle, or the vehicle is driving itself; both of those things cannot be true at the same time.

Though I DO agree with your position, I will play devil's advocate a second. You can make that very same statement about many things that teamwork tests are used for currently.
Jaid
I would say no unless you're driving the way the pilot program is going to want to drive; obeying speed limits, stopping at red lights, etc.

otherwise, you'd be far more likely to have a dice pool *opposing* the pilot program, rather than a dice pool being helped by it.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jun 6 2014, 11:14 AM) *
I would say no unless you're driving the way the pilot program is going to want to drive; obeying speed limits, stopping at red lights, etc.

otherwise, you'd be far more likely to have a dice pool *opposing* the pilot program, rather than a dice pool being helped by it.

Indeed... Being at cross purposes when driving cannot have a happy ending. wobble.gif
Shemhazai
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 6 2014, 12:18 PM) *
Indeed... Being at cross purposes when driving cannot have a happy ending. wobble.gif

I dunno, there was that scene in I Robot where the car slammed on brakes at just the right second...

Please excuse my ignorance, but are there cases where programs work as members of a team? Can piloting be teamwork if there are two pilots in a vehichle?
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Shemhazai @ Jun 6 2014, 11:59 AM) *
I dunno, there was that scene in I Robot where the car slammed on brakes at just the right second...
Sounds like an example of the driver driving the way the pilot program is programmed to drive.

Now if you were intentionally trying to run someone down, then that's the last thing you'd want to happen.
Jaid
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jun 6 2014, 02:46 PM) *
Sounds like an example of the driver driving the way the pilot program is programmed to drive.

Now if you were intentionally trying to run someone down, then that's the last thing you'd want to happen.

exactly. if you're driving to obey all laws and safety regulations, sure I'd let the pilot program help you out. stopping a car that's about to crash into something? yeah, the pilot program will do that.

but if you leave it running while you're trying to ram someone, expect it to be very uncooperative.
Medicineman
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jun 5 2014, 04:06 AM) *
Very simple. Can a vehicle make a Pilot+Maneuver check as a teamwork test to aid a metahuman driver?
What if the driver is rigged in?

the Car helps the Driver by adding its Handling Bonus (at least in SR4A it did)
just as a Smartgun helps by adding its +2 Bonus
If You want a Teamworktest for the Car You should also make a Teamworktest for a Smartgun (or a Medkit, an Autolockpick,etc)
It just doesn't work this way

GM : OK Will, make ah Handling Test and add your Car's Handling to avoid the collision with the Drone Truck
Oh, You just made it thanks to the Handling Bonus, great

wink.gif

Who Dances this way
Medicineman
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Jun 6 2014, 11:05 PM) *
the Car helps the Driver by adding its Handling Bonus (at least in SR4A it did)
just as a Smartgun helps by adding its +2 Bonus
If You want a Teamworktest for the Car You should also make a Teamworktest for a Smartgun (or a Medkit, an Autolockpick,etc)
It just doesn't work this way

Not all vehicles have a handling bonus, though. Some have a penalty, many have neither. The Handling bonus is strictly the mechanical workings of the car - whether it's a fast, agile exotic or a big, lumbering behemoth that maneuvers like a drunken moose wearing clogs attempting to tap-dance its way through Swan Lake with an orca strapped to its back.

That's not the same thing as the drone controller of the vehicle using its Pilot rating to assist the driver.

I would allow it, personally, assuming that what you're attempting to do is within the programming of the Pilot program in question. If it's an off-the-shelf commercial Pilot program, it's not going to want to cooperate if you want to, say, use the vehicle to run down a pedestrian, so turning it on will only hinder you and turn your check into an opposed roll. If it's a Pilot program that you've modified to be more amenable to breaking the law, then it can work.

And honestly, with failure at vehicular rolls tending to have dramatically disproportionate penalties, I don't mind some dice creep in that area. Just don't expect this to work if you jump in some jackass's random Ford Americar and 'jack it, Aiden Pearce style.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Jun 7 2014, 01:45 PM) *
Not all vehicles have a handling bonus, though. Some have a penalty, many have neither. The Handling bonus is strictly the mechanical workings of the car - whether it's a fast, agile exotic or a big, lumbering behemoth that maneuvers like a drunken moose wearing clogs attempting to tap-dance its way through Swan Lake with an orca strapped to its back.

That's not the same thing as the drone controller of the vehicle using its Pilot rating to assist the driver.

I would allow it, personally, assuming that what you're attempting to do is within the programming of the Pilot program in question. If it's an off-the-shelf commercial Pilot program, it's not going to want to cooperate if you want to, say, use the vehicle to run down a pedestrian, so turning it on will only hinder you and turn your check into an opposed roll. If it's a Pilot program that you've modified to be more amenable to breaking the law, then it can work.

And honestly, with failure at vehicular rolls tending to have dramatically disproportionate penalties, I don't mind some dice creep in that area. Just don't expect this to work if you jump in some jackass's random Ford Americar and 'jack it, Aiden Pearce style.

Not planning on doing anything dramatic, just hoping to buff out a pilot 1 (aircraft) skill to the point where I don't crash on routine maneuvers.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jun 7 2014, 12:51 AM) *
Not planning on doing anything dramatic, just hoping to buff out a pilot 1 (aircraft) skill to the point where I don't crash on routine maneuvers.

Take a Specialty. smile.gif
Raise the Skill. smile.gif
Have a GOOD/Great Reaction. smile.gif
Get a Rigger Control Rig. smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012