Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You know, this seems to come up often enough for an options book...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
Whether it's a chain-smoking sharpshooter living out the back of his hippie mobile or a successful rigger cruising around in his luxury Zeppelin, the option of living out of a vehicle has a lot of appeal to runners. After all, it's a lot easier to repaint and re register your mobile home when your SIN becomes history than it is to move all your stuff out of the apartment before the cops arrive.

So, are there any published rules for this? And if not, why not?
psychophipps
I would treat it as between "Squatter" (cars, vans, trucks) to "Low" for bigger vehicles (RVs, 5th wheels, and trailers), as long as the vehicle is paid off. Of course, I'm really good at keeping track of the random gas stops and shit like that because I used to do it for a living.
tasti man LH
Well, back in SR4, living on the road is covered a bit in "Safehouses".
RHat
And in SR4, there was a straight vehicle mod for this - Amenities. It was much more generous than psychophipps' suggestion. with the printed RV getting Middle as stock.
SpellBinder
QUOTE (RHat @ Jun 5 2014, 10:15 PM) *
And in SR4, there was a straight vehicle mod for this - Amenities. It was much more generous than psychophipps' suggestion. with the printed RV getting Middle as stock.
Don't forget the extra RVs printed in Used Car Lot, too. I've been tempted to write with a character using one to live on the road (with the NQ Paranoia), with the usual identity scrambler stuff on it (including a chameleon coating for easier color changing).
RHat
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jun 5 2014, 11:27 PM) *
Don't forget the extra RVs printed in Used Car Lot, too. I've been tempted to write with a character using one to live on the road (with the NQ Paranoia), with the usual identity scrambler stuff on it (including a chameleon coating for easier color changing).

I remain very tempted to run an SR4 Dronomancer that lives in his drone bus, myself. Maybe a custom lifestyle to represent a Garage/Workshop, too.
Fatum
QUOTE (tasti man LH @ Jun 6 2014, 08:01 AM) *
Well, back in SR4, living on the road is covered a bit in "Safehouses".
Yeah, this. Safehouses is a fun little book well worth the read.
Shortstraw
I wasn't a huge fan of the "Living on the Road" section of safehouses because after you bought a vehicle with the amenities you still have to pay the full lifestyle cost for that level (comfort and necessities). It seemed to me that it should be more like buying a lifestyle (or part of one).
Bearclaw
You do buy part of a lifestyle. You buy the Neighborhood and Security. You still need fuel, food, power, a place to park, service subscriptions, and all that stuff costs money.
DrZaius
Well, let's hope this concept gets a blurb in the Rigger book when it comes out.

Of course, if it's already gone to publishing, I'd be ok neglecting it for the time being cyber.gif
Shemhazai
I would feel completely vulnerable sleeping in a vehicle.
Sendaz
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jul 21 2014, 03:22 PM) *
Well, let's hope this concept gets a blurb in the Rigger book when it comes out.

Of course, if it's already gone to publishing<snip>

Wait, so 6th edition is coming out now? nyahnyah.gif
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Shemhazai @ Jul 22 2014, 04:50 AM) *
I would feel completely vulnerable sleeping in a vehicle.

As opposed to, say, sleeping in your non-mobile, easily tracked home?

Our team once retrofitted a bus with the sole purpose of being our on the job accommodations, so that if work followed us home it'd find the bus rather than our homes and families. It had a rating 6 pilot, gridguide, spoof chips, and a chameleon coating along with a rating 6 agent which we used solely for the purposes of blending in to city bus routes. That was the one safehouse that never got compromised, ever.
Shemhazai
You've got to sleep somewhere, and I'd rather it not be somewhere that can get towed away.
Cain
QUOTE (Shemhazai @ Jul 22 2014, 02:42 AM) *
You've got to sleep somewhere, and I'd rather it not be somewhere that can get towed away.

No matter where you live, it can be compromised. An RV has the advantage of being mobile, so you don't have to rebuild your safehouse every time someone tracks you down. It is a tradeoff, but a worthwhile one.
hermit
Just use and slightly adapt the mobile home rules from Safehouses.
Fatum
QUOTE (Cain @ Jul 22 2014, 02:05 PM) *
No matter where you live, it can be compromised. An RV has the advantage of being mobile, so you don't have to rebuild your safehouse every time someone tracks you down. It is a tradeoff, but a worthwhile one.
An RV is much easier to destroy to the point of being non-recoverable. Just saying.
Shortstraw
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jul 23 2014, 12:55 AM) *
An RV is much easier to destroy to the point of being non-recoverable. Just saying.

Buy a bus add 20 armor, LTA and luxury amenities - tougher than a house and keeps the rabble away.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012