Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The German SR novels
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tiralee
Good Evening,

Was wondering if the german SR novels had made translation and how good/cannon they were?
The Shockwave looks...interesting:)

-Tir
bannockburn
Hit and miss, as the English novels.
I enjoyed most of the Poolitzer series (written by Markus Heitz), but the Deutschland in den Schatten trilogy by Alpers ... needs some getting used to.

Wiener Blei by Lukas is utter crap, I can't remember the Assmann (yes, this guy probably would get a namechange with no questions asked in any English speaking country) novels, the books by Lara Möller, Maike Hallmann and André Wiesler are readable, but mostly nothing special. Bit far-fetched at times, but not too bad.

The rest I haven't read.

Regarding translations: I don't think any are available, but I could be mistaken. There were offers on the table, but the license situation proved too tangled, IIRC.
As for canoninicity (is that a word? I think it is. If not, it is now): Stuff was retconned from the DidS trilogy, because no one needs immortal dwarves from below the Ruhrgebiet. The rest should be canon, since the German stories always had a degree of independence.
Tiralee
-Thank you for the breakdown.

Immortal dwarves....And I thought the rest of the togetherness brigade were insufferable on their own...

-Tir:)
bannockburn
Sure, no problem.
But there's been a lot of stupidity since, and this is only a minor plot point in three otherwise entertaining novels with cyberware, riggers and other very SR-like stuff.
So yeah, I can forgive the dwarves. Either, I'm getting mellower with age, or I'm a secret fan of dwarves. Or maybe not so secret.
Sengir
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Jun 8 2014, 01:49 PM) *
As for canoninicity (is that a word? I think it is. If not, it is now)

OED says it is.

But the DidS novels is actually were just as canon as the sourcebook they accompanied, the "it was just unreliable narrators" retconn came far later. If you want really bad canon violations, Digitaler Alptraum has Pax running around in Munich...
Stahlseele
Technically, immortality is something everybody can have and many in EarthDawn had . . and rich ones in Shadowrun do get it too.
I really dislike the Markus Heitz Books <.<
Fatum
Leonization is not immortality, you get cellular breakdown after it's performed enough times.
Jaid
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jul 4 2014, 02:43 PM) *
Leonization is not immortality, you get cellular breakdown after it's performed enough times.

you can unbreak them though nyahnyah.gif
Fatum
Can you? I seem to remember that once you get that, you die very quickly. Like, in hours.
Jaid
forget the name, too lazy to look it up (it's expensive enough that it never came up), but there's a genetic treatment that restores your essence after having the augmentation removed. you only need one leonization at a time, so...
Fatum
But cellular breakdown is a condition that has nothing to do with Essence loss. Besides, the Essence-restoring treatment takes months.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jul 5 2014, 08:27 AM) *
But cellular breakdown is a condition that has nothing to do with Essence loss. Besides, the Essence-restoring treatment takes months.

Which means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things, since Cellular Breakdown as a side effect is left completely to GM fiat. There are no actual mechanics to refer to in this area of the discussion, because there are no actual mechanics for such effects. It is Plot Point only, and will vary form one table campaign to another (and will ultimately have absolutely no game effect whatsoever in actual play for 99.99999% of the characters so involved).
Fatum
You say that as if leonization and aging in general are issues PC runners are likely to encounter.
Sendaz
Depends, one could always start up a campaign of SeniorRun™ nyahnyah.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jul 5 2014, 11:05 AM) *
You say that as if leonization and aging in general are issues PC runners are likely to encounter.

My Cyberlogician was actually considering Leonization at the end of the campaign arc. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012