Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ivan the Goatherd.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
((To be read in the voice of TF2's Heavy Weapons Guy. Sorry for incredibly insensitive and racist portrayal, it's in the name of comedy.))

Hello. I am Dr Ivan Patrovski. Perhaps you have heard of me, but is unlikely. I am doctor of Goat-herding. Am also licensed Veterinarian, but is beside point.

Three weeks ago, bad men kidnapped my sister. They were seen by men in my village. These men ask questions, and they tell me things. They tell me the bad men came here, to America. So, I help you with this little job, and in return you help me find bad men and get my sister back.

How do I help you? I have many big dogs. I have spying pigeons. I have way with animals. With this, I help you.

((End))

So yeah, this is the concept: A Russian goat farmer with animal handling skills out the ass, some good face skills besides, one point in English language and a serious grudge.
Obviously a very high animal handling skill (Specializing in goats) is kinda central to the concept. I was also thinking of tacking on a high unarmed with a specialization in subdual combat, because he occasionally has to wrestle an unco-opterative goat. He's also got a good negotiate, con, and etiquette so he can sell his goats and their products, along with spotting when someone is trying to rip him off. A couple of attack dogs provide his main contribution on more combat focused runs, while homing pigeons with cameras on their collars let him help out the rigger with recon. On top of that he's going to have decent medical skills, though probably specializing in caring for animals with healing up his team-mates an incidental benefit. I was also going to give him a maxed out knowledge (goatherd) skill, with a possible doctorate in zoology to back that up. I was also going to give him about 5 dots in English, but have him play up the Russian accent so people underestimate him.

What are your thoughts and suggestions?
Uli
A satyr metavariant (or surged) shepherd would physically resemble his herd. An oversized used prothesis could sport rudimentary tools and be upgraded later. Latent awakening could make him a goat shaman. He could play the AR goat simulator, too. wink.gif

But please refrain from using the damsel in distress (so men can have anger issues) clishee.
nezumi
I probably wouldn't make him Russian specifically, favoring instead Kazakhstan or one of its southern neighbors (although Russian in that neighborhood works fine, I'd argue that "Russia" is such a large demographic, it doesn't give the fine geographic background you're trying to portray.

Most of his attributes would be quite high; he spends all his time out-of-doors, lifting and tossing animals, repairing his own clothes, etc. He's a proper survivalist who has at least some skill in everything. If he has a gun, it's an old, cold-war AK that he's had to rebuild himself out of old copper pipes and children's toys. His driving skill is very high; his knowledge of driving laws is very low.

I'm also just waiting for Wounded Ronin to jump in here and talk about 'crazy cowboy strength'.
Sendaz
All the Russians and -stans are so overdone.

Should have gone with Welsh. You get the horrible accent along with sheep, dogs and pigeons (all still very popular over here).

nyahnyah.gif
Koekepan
He's fine by me and the boys. Reckon we'll take him up the creek and see how he likes the corn squeezin's.

Ain't nothing wrong with his gun. I like me a good AK.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Koekepan @ Jun 11 2014, 06:26 AM) *
He's fine by me and the boys. Reckon we'll take him up the creek and see how he likes the corn squeezin's.

Ain't nothing wrong with his gun. I like me a good AK.

There is nothing wrong with AK... Is Sturdy... Is Reliable... Is far better than UCAS Crap from Ares. Tyr Andronikov recommend Russian Technology every time. smile.gif
If interested, I give you comcode for Sergei.
Neko Asakami
The only thing I'm concerned about is his terrible English and high social skills. I lived in rural Idaho for a good long time as a kid and I think I've met a grand total of one herder with social skills. Granted, they all raised cattle, and cows aren't as easy to sweet talk as sheep, but I think my point still stands. The other thing is aren't your social skills capped by your language skills? It's be a waste of points to have those high social skills, IMO.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neko Asakami @ Jun 11 2014, 06:50 AM) *
The only thing I'm concerned about is his terrible English and high social skills. I lived in rural Idaho for a good long time as a kid and I think I've met a grand total of one herder with social skills. Granted, they all raised cattle, and cows aren't as easy to sweet talk as sheep, but I think my point still stands. The other thing is aren't your social skills capped by your language skills? It's be a waste of points to have those high social skills, IMO.

Is very true, Da... Must needs work on the English or look like stupid Goatherd. frown.gif
psychophipps
Just keep in mind that there is a very popular T-shirt amongst high-speed/low-drag types that says, "Kill the goatherd!" after all the blown missions because of the goatherds being in the asshole of nowhere...ALL..THE...DAMN...TIME.
Happy Trees
I'm with Neko on the social skills thing, but this gives me an idea for a cool backwoods NPC.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jun 11 2014, 03:59 AM) *
All the Russians and -stans are so overdone.

Should have gone with Welsh. You get the horrible accent along with sheep, dogs and pigeons (all still very popular over here).

nyahnyah.gif

Welsh is good, also gives him the ability to be more over the top with language really as well. Damn those double "L"s.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
One of the guys at our table is playing an Irish Elf. Dandelion Eater cannot speak English even when he is speaking English. The Russian Mercenary is far more understandable than he is. smile.gif
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Uli @ Jun 11 2014, 06:50 AM) *
But please refrain from using the damsel in distress (so men can have anger issues) clishee.

What if the plot twist is... the sister is really a goat.

-k
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 11 2014, 09:38 AM) *
There is nothing wrong with AK... Is Sturdy... Is Reliable... Is far better than UCAS Crap from Ares. Tyr Andronikov recommend Russian Technology every time. smile.gif
If interested, I give you comcode for Sergei.

Uncle Sasha is having recent shipment of SVDs soon. He give good price, discount for bulk. Sometime he throw in grenade for free, but being careful with those, is old surplus. Could go off, could be dud. Could go off when still on belt.

-viktor
Koekepan
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jun 11 2014, 10:30 PM) *
Uncle Sasha is having recent shipment of SVDs soon. He give good price, discount for bulk. Sometime he throw in grenade for free, but being careful with those, is old surplus. Could go off, could be dud. Could go off when still on belt.

Don't the SVD take the same calibre as the Mosin? Best bang for buck shootin' anywhere.

And the boys ain't scared of grenades. You should come by one Fourth of July sometime.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jun 12 2014, 04:26 AM) *

-k

Dammit, I wasn't going to reveal that until the third page of the thread!

As to why I went with Russian? Well, in 'Poker night at the inventory' the Heavy reveals that in mother Russia you can either learn boxing or goatherding, and Heavy was not good with goats.
Neko Asakami
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jun 11 2014, 01:26 PM) *

-k

goat shifter stats anyone?
FuelDrop
I was actually going with a prize winning goat with the nickname 'little sister'.
Also lets out guy be an unaugmented mundane human, which is cool from novelty if nothing else.
pbangarth
Sort of related PC currently in play:

Stogie the shepherd and his border collie Jake
psychophipps
SDV? He'd be better off with a modern semi-auto hunting rifle, to be honest. The SDV wasn't all the hot when it came out in the 1960s, let alone just over 100 years later.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Neko Asakami @ Jun 11 2014, 10:02 PM) *
goat shifter stats anyone?

I hear they have maaa-aa-aa-aad skills nyahnyah.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (psychophipps @ Jun 11 2014, 10:20 PM) *
SDV? He'd be better off with a modern semi-auto hunting rifle, to be honest. The SDV wasn't all the hot when it came out in the 1960s, let alone just over 100 years later.

Personal Preference... And Brand Loyalty. Sure, there may be better weapons out there, but not many people can exceed the capabilities of their weapon to start with, so "Better" is not really all that it is cracked up to be. Besides, I have seen some acccurized SVD's that could compete with the best of them. Though I DO like the Mossin Nagant better. smile.gif
Fatum
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Jun 11 2014, 01:00 PM) *
Obviously a very high animal handling skill (Specializing in goats) is kinda central to the concept. I was also thinking of tacking on a high unarmed with a specialization in subdual combat, because he occasionally has to wrestle an unco-opterative goat.
Unless he herded goats on the Red Square, goats are by far not the largest animals he's had to deal with.
Koekepan
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jul 4 2014, 09:58 PM) *
Unless he herded goats on the Red Square, goats are by far not the largest animals he's had to deal with.

First rule of herding ostriches:

Never mind the damn ostriches, keep an eye out for the lions.
Fatum
Yes, essentially, this.
Happy Trees
QUOTE (Koekepan @ Jul 5 2014, 12:38 PM) *
First rule of herding ostriches:

Never mind the damn ostriches, keep an eye out for the lions.

Ostriches kill lions. Routinely. Frag the lions, watch out for the ostriches.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Happy Trees @ Jul 15 2014, 07:53 AM) *

Especially the cybered ones.
Fatum
Ostriches won a war against Australia, if I remember.
Koekepan
QUOTE (Happy Trees @ Jul 15 2014, 01:53 PM) *

True, but ostriches are actually not hard to handle with established management techniques. Even a thorny branch is an adequate defence if you know what you're doing with it. Lions, on the other hand, are usually handled with tranq darts and great care.
Happy Trees
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jul 15 2014, 12:16 PM) *
Ostriches won a war against Australia, if I remember.

Pretty sure those were emu's, but close enough. Of course, Australia has also lost in its war against rabbits, so...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012