Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GM ideas too awesome to use
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
evilgijoe
Gm had a idea for a character we could earn as a contact for some of the side/mini missions and he wanted to bounce the idea off of me.An awakened raccoon named pigmy who's criminal calling card was dipping his hand in a jar of peanut butter and slapping a wall in what ever home he broke into for free food. and his "pet" an Ares Alpha that sits in a corner with a programed personality( Mr.Torque from the BL2 series) he acquired it because it was shiny. I know myself well enough that every mission no matter what it involved would turn into a lets ask Pigmy. and much less game play

Anyone else have GM's with similarly awesome ideas that would end up with players way off track?
Mantis
The players in my games manage to get way off track without my help as GM. Sadly, when I'm playing, I can get pretty far afield when the mood strikes too.
CaptRory
My magical girl character once suggested a kingdom wide sperm bank for the Kingdom of Azhi. They've been at war for a thousand years and have a serious shortage of men.

I don't really GM anymore but my GM had already considered the idea and had a reply prepared. XD
Neraph
QUOTE (evilgijoe @ Jun 16 2014, 07:40 PM) *
Gm had a idea for a character we could earn as a contact for some of the side/mini missions and he wanted to bounce the idea off of me.An awakened raccoon named pigmy who's criminal calling card was dipping his hand in a jar of peanut butter and slapping a wall in what ever home he broke into for free food. and his "pet" an Ares Alpha that sits in a corner with a programed personality( Mr.Torque from the BL2 series) he acquired it because it was shiny. I know myself well enough that every mission no matter what it involved would turn into a lets ask Pigmy. and much less game play

... WTF?

Honestly, less Deepweed will do you good.
Fatum
A latecomer to my game listed Aegis Cognito as a high Loyalty contact.
Naturally I made him a spy for AC inserted into the group (who were pretty tight with EVO by then), sent him on side missions, etc.
Sadly, the game fell apart before it could produce anything solid.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jul 4 2014, 01:10 PM) *
A latecomer to my game listed Aegis Cognito as a high Loyalty contact.
Naturally I made him a spy for AC inserted into the group (who were pretty tight with EVO by then), sent him on side missions, etc.
Sadly, the game fell apart before it could produce anything solid.

Character I am playing now is a Burned Aegis Cognito Intelligence Asset. smile.gif
Tanegar
QUOTE (evilgijoe @ Jun 16 2014, 07:40 PM) *
...Ares Alpha that sits in a corner with a programed personality( Mr.Torque from the BL2 series)...

I did you one better. Mr. Torgue is an actual NPC in my game, just because I love playing him.
Prime Mover
Most derailed campaign included Santa the mage and Bozo the clown decker. Complete with Rudolph the ally spirit and an armed bust a move drone. (drone had a full suite of costumes and custom hold out revolver)
psychophipps
I still want to use my enhanced Grrl Scout assassination teams. It's tempting to go with Aztechnology because of their horrible rep and general lack of anything but pure evil, but the Russians have a pretty long history of that sort of shit to tempt me in that direction. Maybe both?
toturi
QUOTE (psychophipps @ Jul 8 2014, 11:29 AM) *
I still want to use my enhanced Grrl Scout assassination teams. It's tempting to go with Aztechnology because of their horrible rep and general lack of anything but pure evil, but the Russians have a pretty long history of that sort of shit to tempt me in that direction. Maybe both?

So Natasha Romanoff and Yelena Belova. Maybe Monica Chang?
Fatum
QUOTE (psychophipps @ Jul 8 2014, 07:29 AM) *
but the Russians have a pretty long history of that sort of shit to tempt me in that direction.
Which sort of shit? Children used for assassinations? Can't remember a single case, the KGB recruited adults. Girl scouts? Never been such thing in Russia, the Pioneer Organization was not gender-segregated.
psychophipps
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jul 8 2014, 04:29 AM) *
Which sort of shit? Children used for assassinations? Can't remember a single case, the KGB recruited adults. Girl scouts? Never been such thing in Russia, the Pioneer Organization was not gender-segregated.

A general complete lack of valuing human life was what I was shooting for, actually. To be honest, it was pretty much a Communist thing more than specifically a Russian thing. Plenty of stories of Russian kids growing up in "America Town" for later use in deep cover operations as well. I'm quite certain that 100% of training was in eating cheeseburgers and watching TV with just a light dusting of political indoctrination.
Modular Man
As far as canon goes, there's the Faraday School in Hamburg (I think), taking kids off the streets and secretly training them to be thieves.
Assassins, though? That's a whole different (and nasty) story. It does fit into the world, though.
binarywraith
I have an NPC luchadore who exists solely to insult physical adepts and challenge them to luchas de apuestas, his mask versus their hair.

He is a social adept.
Ryu
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Jul 8 2014, 05:19 AM) *
Most derailed campaign included Santa the mage and Bozo the clown decker. Complete with Rudolph the ally spirit and an armed bust a move drone. (drone had a full suite of costumes and custom hold out revolver)

My best offer is Snow White and her seven dwarves as main fixer in an actually working campaign.
pragma
I was running a campaign where a player had the SR3 pirate family flaw. His ten year old cousin wound up being the group's arms dealer, and the child occasionally bested them in negotiations.
CaptRory
QUOTE (pragma @ Jul 9 2014, 05:11 PM) *
I was running a campaign where a player had the SR3 pirate family flaw. His ten year old cousin wound up being the group's arms dealer, and the child occasionally bested them in negotiations.

Hahaha that is amazing. What is this flaw?
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Modular Man @ Jul 8 2014, 11:48 AM) *
As far as canon goes, there's the Faraday School in Hamburg (I think), taking kids off the streets and secretly training them to be thieves.
Assassins, though? That's a whole different (and nasty) story. It does fit into the world, though.

Make the group Italian.

A covert goverrnment squad of Akiyama cyborgs with Mimic level 3, piloted by the brainwashed minds of abandoned orphan children. Suddenly I want to run a game again.

smile.gif

-k
psychophipps
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jul 9 2014, 07:25 PM) *
Make the group Italian.

A covert goverrnment squad of Akiyama cyborgs with Mimic level 3, piloted by the brainwashed minds of abandoned orphan children. Suddenly I want to run a game again.

smile.gif

-k

To be honest, I prefer them to be more piecemeal in their cyber like in the series. A cyborg body is far too...sterile...for the intended effect, IMO.
Modular Man
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jul 10 2014, 03:25 AM) *
Make the group Italian.

smile.gif

-k

Now, drones, of course I dig the idea biggrin.gif
Even had a rough concept or two for setting one up for my character. It's expensive and enough people will perceive that as incredibly evil, though smile.gif

Cyborgs (with child brains, no less!), on the other hand... If you're that far ahead on the moral curve, being perceived as evil is quite unimportant. The idea is quite interesting!

(Sadly, Youtube didn't allow me to access that video, with me being from Germany. Will have to find a proxy and come back to that wink.gif )
KarmaInferno
The link was to the english language trailer for the Gunslinger Girl series, which is about... brainwashed child cyborg assassins employed by a covert government agency.

It starts out all badass and action packed, and takes a pretty dark turn. Not surprising since it's more or less a deconstruction of the Girls With Guns and loli tropes. Second season has better writing but the animation quality arguably got worse (different studio).

-k
psychophipps
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jul 10 2014, 01:22 PM) *
The link was to the english language trailer for the Gunslinger Girl series, which is about... brainwashed child cyborg assassins employed by a covert government agency.

It starts out all badass and action packed, and takes a pretty dark turn. Not surprising since it's more or less a deconstruction of the Girls With Guns and loli tropes. Second season has better writing but the animation quality arguably got worse (different studio).

-k

One thing I really respected about the anime was how it handled the adult side (not that "adult", dang it) of the teams. It's one thing to scoop up these kids and turn them into death machines, it's another to have to train and watch the psychologocal trauma happening to kids that you are supposed to be taking care of while balancing that with keeping them operational.
pragma
QUOTE (CaptRory @ Jul 9 2014, 06:57 PM) *
Hahaha that is amazing. What is this flaw?

Pirate Family appeared in a Shadowrun 3rd Edition (SR3) sourcebook called Runner's Companion. The book introduced edges and flaws for the first time in SR3, and there were some gloriously batty ones. Pirate family was interesting in that it gave you a big network of free contacts who existed mostly to get you in trouble. You were supposed to be well connected to a group of international boat criminals who were so degenerate that they had to look to you for help at least once per run.
CaptRory
Haha~! That's great!
Rad
GM Idea Too Awesome To Use:

The run is interrupted by an honest-to-god superhero, because obviously shadowrunners are criminals that a superhero would try to stop, and it's entirely possible for someone in the 6th world to have the requisite gear/abilities/mental instability to take up masked crime fighting.

Sadly, I actually tried this tonight. The players downed my Robocop expy with two complex actions, then took off his helmet and shot him in the head. Methinks officer Murphy isn't getting up from that one. nyahnyah.gif

At least I didn't go with my original idea to have Spiderman show up. (The game was set in Manhattan, and we were doing the Burning Bridges run where the team gets hired to blow up the Brooklyn bridge.)
Fabe
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jul 10 2014, 03:22 PM) *

-k

Interesting thing is while people say the animation was worst in the second season the art style from season two is actually closer to the art from the original manga series. Still its a good series .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012