Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rounding
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Hexariah
This might be a stupid question, but my preliminary search results haven't borne any fruit. Do you round up or down in Shadowrun? The two mentions of rounding in the SR4A core rulebook say "rounding up," but I'm unfamiliar with a generalized rule. And the results I've found for searching are about essence rounding, whereas I'm specifically interested in the glitch point for odd dice pools. For instance -- if your dice pool is seven, do you glitch on a three or a four?

I lean towards rounding up, but I'm not sure if I've missed a sentence somewhere or not. embarrassed.gif
Glyph
You glitch if more than half of the dice in your dice pool come up ones. So for a dice pool of seven, you would glitch on four or more ones; for a dice pool of eight, you would glitch on five or more ones.
Medicineman
Rounding:
You round in Favor to the Char
Glitch:
in SR4A a (critical)Glitch is if 1/2 of the dice are "1's"
in SR5 its more than 1/2 (q.f. Glyph's post)

with more than 1/2 of a Dance
Medicineman
Happy Trees
For me, it's dependent upon what I'm trying to buff/nerf. If it's something I want to buff, round in favor of success, if trying to nerf, round in favor of failure.
Temperance
QUOTE (Glyph @ Jul 12 2014, 07:14 PM) *
You glitch if more than half of the dice in your dice pool come up ones. So for a dice pool of seven, you would glitch on four or more ones; for a dice pool of eight, you would glitch on five or more ones.

What Glyph said. In case you need to reference the rule, you are looking for page 45 of the SR5 corebook. Right column, under Glitches. Second sentence.

QUOTE (Medicineman @ Jul 12 2014, 11:38 PM) *
Rounding:
You round in Favor to the Char

I thought so too. frown.gif (Though it would be a perfect house rule.) This tripped me up another post.

QUOTE (SR5 Corebook @ page 48, sidebar)
A NOTE ON ROUNDING
Sometimes you’re going to have to divide some number or another, and sometimes that will require rounding. The general rule of thumb is to round up, unless a specific rule tells you to do otherwise.

It came up in relation to initiations and the cost discounts.

-Temperance
Rad
Yeah, but the OP said SR4a, not SR5.
Glyph
I don't have SR4A, but on the basic book the rule is on page 55, and I assume SR4A didn't change the rule (or at least, it didn't make it onto the changes document).
Rad
A lot of changes aren't in the changes document.

QUOTE (SR4a page 62)
Glitches
If half or more of the dice pool rolled come up as 1s, then a glitch
results.

4a errata doesn't contradict this.

As far as rounding is concerned, I was unable to find a general rule in my SR4a pdf, or the errata. A search for "rounding" revealed only that you round up when making athletics tests to jump, and that the word "surrounding" gets used a lot in that book.
Shortstraw
I found a little over 20 rounding examples in the core book all but one (ready weapon) was in favor of the acting character.
Temperance
QUOTE (Rad @ Jul 20 2014, 06:54 PM) *
Yeah, but the OP said SR4a, not SR5.

/facepalm

I keep doing that. It like I hate SR4A or something. Which is weird, cause it's right by my desk. :/

-Temperance
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012