Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Assensing focus?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bearclaw
Is there a reason for there not being an Assensing focus?
There is a focus for everything else, but not for maybe the most used magical skill. A health sustaining focus would help of course, to boost intuition, but I think it would be cool to rub the little magnifying glass I wear on a chain around my neck, and get +3 to my assensing roll.
Temperance
Arcana is a Magical skill and doesn't have a focus. Astral Combat doesn't have it's own focus, it's just that Weapon foci happen to work with the skill. Their primary purpose is to enhance combat prowess. Astral Combat is simply an extension of that. In direct answer to your question, I can see a couple of interrelated reasons.

First, while it is defined as a magical skill and resides in the Magical Skill category, it's not actually a skill that interacts with your Magic Rating. As long as you have a Magic Rating of 1 and the ability to astrally perceive your skill is completely independent of how "magical" you are.

Second, when you use other foci, your magic rating is directly or indirectly involved. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that foci are all direct or indirect increases in your effective magic rating. Assensing foci would be out of place if that's the case. Details in spoiler.

[ Spoiler ]

Additionally, there are sorta two versions of an assensing focus. It's just not obvious and it's not universal. You can have a qi focus that grants the astral perception power and you can have a qi focus that grants the enhanced perception power. It does no good to aspected or full magicians, but adepts and mystic adepts are in the clear. Otherwise Improved Intuition subs in.

All that said, I don't see any reason why you couldn't handwave them into existence. Magic in the SR universe doesn't exactly follow it's own rules sometimes.

Edit: And I just noticed that this thread has an SR4 tag on it. /facepalm So the bit about Qi and Metamagic foci is irrelevant.

-Ariketh
Machiavelli
Power foci incease magic again? Really?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Temperance @ Jul 19 2014, 03:52 AM) *
Edit: And I just noticed that this thread has an SR4 tag on it. /facepalm So the bit about Qi and Metamagic foci is irrelevant.

-Ariketh

Metamagic Foci existed in SR4A. smile.gif
Temperance
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 24 2014, 07:01 AM) *
Metamagic Foci existed in SR4A. smile.gif

O.o I played for years and never noticed. I went looking for them and sure enough, Street Magic 84 & 85.

Either that or it's my memory. I hear it's the second thing to go, now if I could just remember the first one...

-Temperance
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Temperance @ Jul 25 2014, 03:24 AM) *
O.o I played for years and never noticed. I went looking for them and sure enough, Street Magic 84 & 85.

Either that or it's my memory. I hear it's the second thing to go, now if I could just remember the first one...

-Temperance

Libido... frown.gif
Sendaz
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 25 2014, 09:56 AM) *
Libido... frown.gif

They have cyber for that, even in the novels. nyahnyah.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 25 2014, 07:57 AM) *

Oh yeah... I forgot. smile.gif
Temperance
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 25 2014, 05:57 AM) *

This might be the wrong place, but wasn't there a pair of ... enhancements in CP2020 with the tagline "All night, every night; [they] will never know the difference!"

-Temperance
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Temperance @ Jul 25 2014, 10:20 AM) *
This might be the wrong place, but wasn't there a pair of ... enhancements in CP2020 with the tagline "All night, every night; [they] will never know the difference!"

-Temperance

Indeed their was. The Mr. Studd™ and the Midnight Lady™. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012