Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cameras ≠ The End of Shadowrunners
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ShadowDragon8685
I'm quite sure that by the 2050s, 2060s, and 2070s, facial recognition software will be as unimpressed by Dazzle facepaint as radar was unimpressed by Dazzle warship paint by Vietnam.
SpellBinder
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Jul 24 2014, 09:54 PM) *
I'm quite sure that by the 2050s, 2060s, and 2070s, facial recognition software will be as unimpressed by Dazzle facepaint as radar was unimpressed by Dazzle warship paint by Vietnam.
Especially if you are able to make a composite rendering from multiple sensor sources, like motion and ultrasound sensors that care nothing about the "color" of an object.
binarywraith
Thankfully, the luchadore mask is the gift that never stops giving when it comes to secret identities. biggrin.gif
Medicineman
the physical Mask spell has become one of the more important Spells for my Spellslingers

with a Dance in disguise
Medicineman
Blade
Security is always an arms-race. Cameras and image processing software improve and so do counter measures. In SR you have phyiscal mask, facial sculpt, nanopaste, facial masks, false front, etc.

Personally, that's the kind of stuff where I consider that any decent Shadowrunner knows the current way to escape the surveillance and don't bother players with it, nor do I try to find 201x explanations to how stuff works in 207x
Isath
It always depends on the situation. On a normal day in the sprawl, you won't be standing out, with a simple breather / airfilter and a pair of display-glasses.
Rad
My current group tends to go the whole "skimask" route, at least when pulling an overt job. Can't beat the classics. (Though you can improve them with armored fabrics and densiplast inserts.)
KarmaInferno
Almost Human had an interesting idea on defeating cameras Some criminals had a spray that was hyper reflective in the infrared range. Spraying their faces with it resulted in CCD security cameras displaying their faces as unrecognizable blobs of light, while to human eyes they appeared to be merely sweaty.

My 4E Missions chararacter never appeared in public without nanopaste disguises on. Perhaps three-four people have seen his real face in his Missions career. He's also had reconstructive cosmetic face surgery done in the past.

-k
Draco18s
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jul 27 2014, 03:42 PM) *
Almost Human had an interesting idea on defeating cameras Some criminals had a spray that was hyper reflective in the infrared range. Spraying their faces with it resulted in CCD security cameras displaying their faces as unrecognizable blobs of light, while to human eyes they appeared to be merely sweaty.

Which has basis in reality: it's actually remarkably difficult to filter infrared light on the camera. A lot of it is actually done by software.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jul 27 2014, 03:42 PM) *

My 4E Missions chararacter never appeared in public without nanopaste disguises on. Perhaps three-four people have seen his real face in his Missions career. He's also had reconstructive cosmetic face surgery done in the past.

-k

I liked the show, a pity it didn't get another season. But, hey its fox and they never give shows a chance.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jul 28 2014, 07:30 PM) *
I liked the show, a pity it didn't get another season. But, hey its fox and they never give shows a chance.

Yeah. :\
nezumi
Realistically, this already doesn't work. But in my games, this is absolutely functional, and why all of my shadowrunners dress like they're members of 80s hair bands.
Bearclaw
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jul 28 2014, 04:30 PM) *

I believe a year from now we will say the same thing about Gotham.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012