Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Foci without bonding?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Machiavelli
I heard about a sword weapon-focus that doesn´t need bonding. I think it was in SR4 as an example for a unique enchantment. Is it possible to cause a similar effect on self-made foci e.g. by putting enormous amounts of orichalcum in the focus or very very rare telesma?
Sendaz
You are thinking of pg 9 in the digital grimoire

QUOTE (Digital Grimoire page 9)
SAMPLE UNIQUE ENCHANTMENT Lyran has been hired to construct a unique enchantment using an unique enchantment formula, an ancient japanese text, provided by her employer. First things first: Lyran can’t read Japanese, so she scans the text and runs it through a translation program, which chokes on the arcane terminology and archaic bits, but gives her a gist of what she’s looking at.

The gamemaster decides translating the formula would be an Arcana + Magic (36, 1 month) Extended Test. Lyran doesn’t have that sort of time, so she asks if she can just figure out who can use the formula. An Arcana + Logic (2) Test permits analysis of the formula. Lyran rolls 8 dice and scores 2 hits. The unique enchantment formula describes how to forge a unique enchantment it looks a bit like a weapon focus to Lyran in the form of a particular style of katana using the symbolism and notation consistent with the Buddhist tradition of magic. Lyran needs to find a Buddhist swordsmith enchanter.

After a lot of long-distance commcalls, calling in a couple markers, a discreet datasteal from MCT, and a punch-up with some Yakuza, Lyran makes contact with Hiro Gassan, scion of a line of Imperial Japanese swordsmiths and a mystic adept. After a bit of haggling, Gassan agrees to forge the sword but the formula requires a number of exotic reagents: unique radicals of air, earth, fire, and water; natural radicals from throughout Asia; a tooth from an Eastern dragon; ten units of orichalcum; and a live metahuman who will be sacrificed to complete the enchantment. While Lyran was gathering the components of the enchantment, Gassan had refurbished the forgotten retreat of a yamabushi hermit as a Buddhist shrine (Rating 6 Magical Lodge) in a secluded cave on Kiso Ontake-san. The formula had included specific requirements concerning the daily rituals of purification the enchanter must undertake. Mechanically, this means Gassan must abide by the Ritual geas (see Ritual Geas, p. 28, Street Magic) while enchanting the blade. The enchanting will be conducted at the same time the blade is forged, sharpened, named, and blooded. The Enchanting Test to create the focus is Enchanting + Magic (20, 1 day). Hiro Gassan has Enchanting 5, Magic 5, Edge 2, is using exotic telesma, four reagent materials, and the equivalent Force of the focus is 6. He rolls 12 dice and accumulates 22 hits over seven rolls. One week after he began assembling the focus, Gassan completes the enchantment by driving the blade through the body of the living metahuman. Using astral perception, Lyran sees part of the victim’s aura actually detach and flow into the sword. This sacrifice replaces the typical Binding ritual for the blade. Gassan presents Lyran with the blade Kurokawa. Lyran sighs with relief. Now all she has to do is get this thing through customs back to Seattle.

Kurokawa, The Black River The bright blade Kurokawa is a katana featuring a vein of orichalcum running the length of its folded steel blade, and a hilt carved from the fang of an adult Eastern dragon. Hiro Gassan, descendent of a line of Japanese master swordsmiths, used an ancient magical formula to instill the unique enchantment within the blade. Kurokawa acts as a Force 6 weapon focus. The sword immediately bonds with anyone who holds it, magician or mundane, without having to pay Karma or perform a bonding ritual and they gain the benefit of the focus im mediately. The blade is always active and dual-natured and cannot be deactivated except through force (such as the Disrupt Focus spell or an astral barrier). Kurokawa’s wielder, even a mundane, may become subject to Focus Addiction (See Focus Addiction, p.26–27, Street Magic), becoming obsessed with the blade.

So as a unique enchantment they are still paying for the bonding, just in advance so to speak via the sacrificial victim.

You are basically looking at a specialized use of blood magic.
Machiavelli
I kill people for money, what do you think i would do for karma-saving? ^^ Thank you for the detailed description. THis was exactly what i had remembered vaguely.
Fyndhal
The blade is always active and dual-natured and cannot be deactivated except through force

This part is a problem, though. It means you cannot sneak by a ward, which is something runners need to do relatively frequently.
Sendaz
likewise the foci addiction would be an issue as you are talking 24/7 exposure so sooner or later it will sink its fangs into you, but then I always loved tales of Elric and Stormbringer. nyahnyah.gif
Mantis
Especially for a mundane, since the focus rules say the GM can call for an addiction test whenever you have foci active with a force total of twice your magic attribute. Since mundanes lack a magic attribute (effectively Magic of 0), a gm can call for this test whenever he wants.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Mantis @ Aug 4 2014, 09:40 AM) *
Especially for a mundane, since the focus rules say the GM can call for an addiction test whenever you have foci active with a force total of twice your magic attribute. Since mundanes lack a magic attribute (effectively Magic of 0), a gm can call for this test whenever he wants.

I get how you're applying the rules literally here, but how do you figure that would? What energy is the mundane becoming addicted to from the focus? They can't even draw upon it.
Mantis
For the focus in question, they can indeed draw upon its power. These are unique foci which anyone may bind and use.

From Sendaz's quote:
Kurokawa’s wielder, even a mundane, may become subject to Focus Addiction (See Focus Addiction, p.26–27, Street Magic), becoming obsessed with the blade.
Neraph
QUOTE (Fyndhal @ Aug 4 2014, 07:27 AM) *
This part is a problem, though. It means you cannot sneak by a ward, which is something runners need to do relatively frequently.

Extended Masking/Power Pact for Aura Masking.
Shortstraw
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Aug 5 2014, 04:29 AM) *
I get how you're applying the rules literally here, but how do you figure that would? What energy is the mundane becoming addicted to from the focus? They can't even draw upon it.

My precious....
binarywraith
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Aug 4 2014, 01:29 PM) *

Welcome to the price of power.
Neraph
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Aug 4 2014, 01:29 PM) *

Um... A power they've never experienced any other way.
Machiavelli
Being mundane doesn´t make you immune to a powerball...so lets think this further....wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012