Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing Personal
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Backgammon
Latest Enhanced Fiction story is out, Nothing Personal.
This story clocks in at over 20k words, so it is roughly twice as long as Vladivostok Gauntlet. It is NOT a sequel to Vladivostom Gauntlet, it is a whole new story with new characters.

Mr. Johnson. You know the name. You probably know the face—smooth, implacable, professional. He’s got the nuyen and resources you want, and he knows it. He may not have your skills, but he doesn’t care. That’s what he has the nuyen for—so he can buy yours. He’s corporate through and through, and you can’t ever forget that, because if you do, that’s when he sells you out for the good of his corp. But he’ll stay professional, of course, right up until the moment he slides the knife smoothly into your back. He’s useful, that Mr. Johnson, but every time you meet him, every time you have to deal with his double-crosses, his condescending put-downs, his smug superiority, you wish that the day would come when the tables were turned, when he was forced out on the street with nothing but his wits and street skills—whatever those might be—to keep him alive.
Well, good news. Sometimes wishes come true, even in the Sixth World. Mr. Johnson is about to meet the street, and you’ve got a ringside seat.

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Shadowrun-Nothing-Pe...sonal+shadowrun
Battleshop: http://www.battlecorps.com/catalog/product...roducts_id=3354

Please let me know what you think smile.gif
Not of this World
Also on drivethrurpg.

I am waiting for some reviews, but might just buy it at the low price point.
Backgammon
What would you like to know about it to help you decide?
Fatum
Do the windows open correctly this time around?
Backgammon
No windows in this story smile.gif
There are a few doors though.
Not of this World
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Aug 11 2014, 01:51 PM) *
What would you like to know about it to help you decide?

probably just a paragraph or two of character dialogue ideally. Alternately, I am an old fan of the setting and strongly dislike everything with the 4th edition reboot. I like Shadowslang, I like AIs terrifying and rare rather than household and bland, I prefer getting immersed in a setting rather than attempts to be "edgy".
Backgammon
Hmm, not sure I quite understand all that, but here's a dialogue-focus exerpt which I don't think gives anything away from the story. Formatting will be a littlw wonky from pasting from the PDF

[ Spoiler ]
Mantis
I would have liked to have seen stats for 4th ed as well as the stats for 5th ed, like was done with Vladivostok Guantlet. Haven't actually read the story yet.
Fatum
QUOTE (Not of this World @ Aug 12 2014, 03:09 AM) *
I like Shadowslang, I like AIs terrifying and rare rather than household and bland, I prefer getting immersed in a setting rather than attempts to be "edgy".
And what does any of this have to do with 4e?
Not of this World
QUOTE (Fatum @ Aug 12 2014, 12:48 PM) *
And what does any of this have to do with 4e?

4th edition and "System Failure" were the reboot that did this. I should also add that Shadowrun without Shadowslang is as odd as Star Trek without technobabble or Middle-Earth without strange elven languages.. weirdly out of place.
Aria
Liking the story so far biggrin.gif
Fatum
QUOTE (Not of this World @ Aug 13 2014, 04:55 AM) *
4th edition and "System Failure" were the reboot that did this. I should also add that Shadowrun without Shadowslang is as odd as Star Trek without technobabble or Middle-Earth without strange elven languages.. weirdly out of place.
Well, strange thing the slang stayed the same in 4e, and AIs did not become anything near commonplace.
On a side note, if you look how much the RL slang and memes changed in the last 20 years, it's remarkable how little these changed in SR from the 50ies to late 70ies.
Jaid
QUOTE (Fatum @ Aug 15 2014, 06:14 AM) *
Well, strange thing the slang stayed the same in 4e, and AIs did not become anything near commonplace.
On a side note, if you look how much the RL slang and memes changed in the last 20 years, it's remarkable how little these changed in SR from the 50ies to late 70ies.

in 4th edition the slang did change (various words basically disappeared entirely without a trace... frag, drek, hoop, and decker off the top of my head, probably more), and AIs became a heck of a lot more commonplace than they were in any previous edition (perhaps household isn't quite the right word, but compared to how common they were before 4e it's a pretty fair comparison), and are several orders of magnitude less terrifying.

i don't agree entirely with his conclusion (overall, i like 4th edition more than i dislike it), but it isn't just some crazy thing he came up with out of thin air. those things he's describing as having happened did happen.
hermit
I like the story. It's compact, gritty and from a somewhat unusual perspective - Mr. Johnson's. It's well worth it's price. I would have preferred stats in 4e and 5e too, though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012