Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Redskin Runs (GMs ONLY SPOILERS)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mystweaver
Firstly I have to thank Koekepan for his excellent Redneck topic for provide me the inspiriation to run his work abeit an adapted version.
To adapt though I am wondering if others would like to contribute or advise.

Here are my plans.

my PC's are currently in Ellensburg - Salish-Shidhe Council with abox that has Biohazard signs on it (had to get them out of Seattle somehow!).

News reports that shutdown the south & South-east borders of Seattle have been locked down as far as possible as authorites are trying to track down above box.

I want my PC's to be stuck in the rural NAN nation for a while to give me the opportunity to run some of the Redneck plot hooks that Koekepan has so gracously shared with us.
As such they won't be less redneck and more redskin runs.

So as my knowledge of NAN is limited I would like some advice.

Here are my presumptions on how things are in 2072. Please correct me if I am wrong.

- The majority of the NA Nations are wild with pockets of civilization still dotted about in the major towns and cities that still existed pre-awakening.
- The population of NA citizens dont have SINS
- Palefaces are generally considered outsiders unless there is a proved liniage to a NA tribe.
- NA citizens are not technology averse. Though more inclined to live traditionally; the culture is still mixed and technology is still widely available.
- The majority of the roads and small towns are overgrown/derlict/abandonned. Only a few major roads connecting cities are still in use (though not in the best of conditions) (Here I'm thinking a major - road like the I90 is still in a reasonable state but my have some issues due to poor maintenance and/or plant-regrowth).

Planned Run's/Plothooks I am going to use:
- Homeowner's Association of Verdant Heights Gated Community (though it will be the Ellensburg Ungated community that has some animal problems).
- The Swarm - Ellensburg has to get their food from somewhere - why not have the community be a farming community - plenty of plains around!
- One of those farms could be a Soy farm!
- Its not all plains - Maybe some of the dense forest areas to the south have a fungal problem and a certain logger needs some help with!
- Maybe at some point the PC's need some surveillance of the area (for any number of reasons) - they could go to the sherrif or they could go to Buzzardman.
- Perhaps Abraham Jeroboam Lafnitzegger (better known as Bear) lives here (or his farm is nearby).
- The town is already fractured by tribal & religous conflicts caused by similar views to the Run which involves Reverend Martin Malcolm Davis & Reverend Kevin Bathurst
- Once the cougars and locusts are dealt with - on come the feral hogs! The farmers life is frought with strife!

I still haven't ready all of Koekepan's material but will continue to do so - if you can think of any other plot hooks I could add into this insane pot of mayhem; I'll welcome them (whether they are from the Redneck runs or not).

I haven't yet come up with the finer detail as to how exactly I am going to link all the above together yet (other than that they are all going to happen in the same location - and that the PC's will quickly establish a reputation for solving problems - hence their involvement with all the above).

If anyone has some interesting ideas that could help me out, I'd be more than happy to hear them. Otherwise I shall just continue to update this post with the progress of the PC's adventures (I run a semi-sandbox game so I'll give out clues and opportunities for my PC's to do stuff... whether they do it is up to them).

Thanks in advance.

Koekepan
QUOTE (Mystweaver @ Aug 21 2014, 03:32 PM) *
Firstly I have to thank Koekepan for his excellent Redneck topic for provide me the inspiriation to run his work abeit an adapted version.
To adapt though I am wondering if others would like to contribute or advise.

You're very welcome. I'll do my best to lend a few insights where I can.

Here are my plans.

my PC's are currently in Ellensburg - Salish-Shidhe Council with abox that has Biohazard signs on it (had to get them out of Seattle somehow!).

News reports that shutdown the south & South-east borders of Seattle have been locked down as far as possible as authorites are trying to track down above box.

I want my PC's to be stuck in the rural NAN nation for a while to give me the opportunity to run some of the Redneck plot hooks that Koekepan has so gracously shared with us.
As such they won't be less redneck and more redskin runs.

So as my knowledge of NAN is limited I would like some advice.

I know some native americans from that area. Trust me, there's plenty of redneckery to go around even where the culture is tribal. Depending on the directions things went, tobacco might be preferred over alcohol in terms of gifts (there are negative connotations with alcohol in the context of native american cultures).

Here are my presumptions on how things are in 2072. Please correct me if I am wrong.

- The majority of the NA Nations are wild with pockets of civilization still dotted about in the major towns and cities that still existed pre-awakening.
- The population of NA citizens dont have SINS
- Palefaces are generally considered outsiders unless there is a proved liniage to a NA tribe.
- NA citizens are not technology averse. Though more inclined to live traditionally; the culture is still mixed and technology is still widely available.
- The majority of the roads and small towns are overgrown/derlict/abandonned. Only a few major roads connecting cities are still in use (though not in the best of conditions) (Here I'm thinking a major - road like the I90 is still in a reasonable state but my have some issues due to poor maintenance and/or plant-regrowth).

I'm no god of canon, but here's my take on your points:
  • Yes.
  • Quite probably.
  • To some extent, depending on context - less important in Spokane, for instance.
  • Broadly, yes, although there's a greater tendency to technoscepticism.
  • Probably, yes, although a lot of that area is so dry that reversion to gravel is a bigger issue because of surface deterioration.

Planned Run's/Plothooks I am going to use:
- Homeowner's Association of Verdant Heights Gated Community (though it will be the Ellensburg Ungated community that has some animal problems).
- The Swarm - Ellensburg has to get their food from somewhere - why not have the community be a farming community - plenty of plains around!
- One of those farms could be a Soy farm!
- Its not all plains - Maybe some of the dense forest areas to the south have a fungal problem and a certain logger needs some help with!
- Maybe at some point the PC's need some surveillance of the area (for any number of reasons) - they could go to the sherrif or they could go to Buzzardman.
- Perhaps Abraham Jeroboam Lafnitzegger (better known as Bear) lives here (or his farm is nearby).
- The town is already fractured by tribal & religous conflicts caused by similar views to the Run which involves Reverend Martin Malcolm Davis & Reverend Kevin Bathurst
- Once the cougars and locusts are dealt with - on come the feral hogs! The farmers life is frought with strife!

Again, my take on them:
  • You'd have to assume some suburbanisation. The current residents of Ellensburg with whom I'm familiar would just load up and go huntin'.
  • The Swarm is a better pick if you go to the east of the Rockies. The basin between the Rockies and the Cascades is not the same kind of plains country - still, it's a possibility.
  • Not prime Soy territory either, but it's certainly possible.
  • Southwest. You really want to get into the wetter forests in the Cascades to be in prime fungal territory. East of the Cascades watershed things dry out quite quickly. You'd still be in the NAN, just in the more plausible territory.
  • Like it. If you go to the Moses Lake area, you don't have the badlands topography but you do have great thermals over the desert.
  • Yes, Bear is a great pick for the region.
  • Religion matters out here.
  • Feral hogs like a wetter climate, so at least bring that one closer to the watershed of the cascades, in the deep valleys where it's still warm enough for them.

I still haven't ready all of Koekepan's material but will continue to do so - if you can think of any other plot hooks I could add into this insane pot of mayhem; I'll welcome them (whether they are from the Redneck runs or not).

I haven't yet come up with the finer detail as to how exactly I am going to link all the above together yet (other than that they are all going to happen in the same location - and that the PC's will quickly establish a reputation for solving problems - hence their involvement with all the above).

There's a lot of beef ranching in this area. You could easily have them doing that one about Lester, the bull.

If anyone has some interesting ideas that could help me out, I'd be more than happy to hear them. Otherwise I shall just continue to update this post with the progress of the PC's adventures (I run a semi-sandbox game so I'll give out clues and opportunities for my PC's to do stuff... whether they do it is up to them).

Thanks in advance.

Oh yes. There are some very wild, very woolly parts of that territory. You could have them, in their travels, come across some of the cultists. That might be amusing. For you.

In general, keep a close eye on the season and the climate. It's not quite as extreme as North Dakota, but the temperatures in Summer easily rocket over 100F, and in the depths of Winter you're below 0F a lot of the time, and covered in snow and ice. Also, a lot of the farming here is strongly irrigation dependent. Water disputes are likely to be serious.
Tecumseh
Koekepan already offered some great advice but I'll chime in as well. I'm from the area and keep close track of the Salish-Shidhe Council simply out of geographic proximity. I've got a campaign of my own set in the SSC, and I was personally in Ellensburg just last weekend.

1) The majority of the NA Nations are wild with pockets of civilization still dotted about in the major towns and cities that still existed pre-awakening.
2) The population of NA citizens dont have SINS
3) Palefaces are generally considered outsiders unless there is a proved liniage to a NA tribe.
4) NA citizens are not technology averse. Though more inclined to live traditionally; the culture is still mixed and technology is still widely available.
5) The majority of the roads and small towns are overgrown/derlict/abandonned. Only a few major roads connecting cities are still in use (though not in the best of conditions) (Here I'm thinking a major - road like the I90 is still in a reasonable state but my have some issues due to poor maintenance and/or plant-regrowth).

1) Yes. Of course, this is true current-day as well. It's very rural, on the whole.

2) NAN citizens generally do have SINs. Per Shadows of North America, the estimated SINless rate for Salish-Shidhe is 15%. In the SSC, each citizen has a tribal affiliation too. It's not clearly defined but in Ellensburg your most likely tribes are:
a) Cascade Crow. Big into livestock, including horses and cattle, and agriculture. This squares very neatly with Ellensburg. Per SR2, "The Cascade Crow are strong advocates of the removal of the Anglo and Asian presence in the Northwest, thus cultivating a strong Plains Revival."
b) Cascade Ork. They live in the mountains just a bit west of Ellensburg. (See Cle Elum, Washington.) If memory serves the dividing boundary between the two tribes is Highway 97, which is the western edge of Ellensburg. The Cascade Ork tribe is big into raising sheep, mining, and copious amounts of smuggling into Seattle. They are pro-technology and not environmentally conscious. There would be clear tensions between them and the Cascade Crow that could be exploited.

3) Yes, palefaces are generally considered outsiders, although in the early days of the NAN they accepted anyone with even the "slightest trace of Amerindian blood". Thus, there are a lot of people who don't look Amerind but are accepted because they can find the 1/32nd or 1/64th back in their lineage. And on the topic of outsiders, the Cascade Ork "will sometimes sell honorary tribal membership or trade it for services rendered" (p. 88, Native American Nations, Volume I). That could be a good route for your team to gain some temporary legitimacy while cruising around the SSC.

4) Technological aversion is on a tribe-by-tribe basis in the SSC. The Makah and Salish embrace it. The Sinsearach elves (south of Mt. Rainier) shun it. Cascade Ork is pro-technology. There's nothing on what the Cascade Crow think, so use whatever works best in your campaign.

5) The condition of roads and small towns is an open question. I would say that the major roads, like I-90 and I-82, are all maintained and in good condition. As for the towns? I don't know whether the population would prefer to be more centralized (like it was at the Treaty of Denver) or decentralized (like it was before the arrival of the Anglos). Again, go with what works best. If abandoned towns and overgrown roads are atmospheric and fit the scene you have in mind then I'm sure the setting can accommodate that.
Mystweaver
Brilliant... taking it all on board. Now sitting down to write something up properly before Sunday... If my players like it, I'll keep them out in the SSC. If they don't, I'm they can find a way back to Seattle... eventually smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012