Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shortstraw
Linky.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Very Interesting.
pbangarth
And frightening.
Rad
In Cyberpunk Russia, money keeps track of you!

Also, everything else.
Fatum
I wonder what's the antenna like at that size.
pbangarth
Probably a folded fractal as in our cell phones.
Fatum
What we have in the cellphones is quite a bit larger, and it already works at gigaHz.
Curator
wow
Sephiroth
I continue to have difficulties understanding why so many engineers seem to think this is a good idea. Yes, it makes logistics nicer and easier for administrations (same reason why areas of law enforcement seem keen on eroding constitutional liberties). But haven't any of these engineers read 1984 and the other standard dystopian novels in their education? I swear, I never seem to hear of any engineers seeing a connection between the Internet of Things and dystopia. Just the privacy advocates, and us Shadowrun players, and that's it.
Fatum
QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Sep 15 2014, 10:08 PM) *
I continue to have difficulties understanding why so many engineers seem to think this is a good idea. Yes, it makes logistics nicer and easier for administrations (same reason why areas of law enforcement seem keen on eroding constitutional liberties). But haven't any of these engineers read 1984 and the other standard dystopian novels in their education? I swear, I never seem to hear of any engineers seeing a connection between the Internet of Things and dystopia. Just the privacy advocates, and us Shadowrun players, and that's it.
Engineers are supposed to be solving technical problems, not sociological ones.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Fatum @ Sep 19 2014, 11:19 AM) *
Engineers are supposed to be solving technical problems, not sociological ones.

[soapbox]
This is a fundamental flaw in our complex society. Engineers don't know what sociologists do, and vice versa. Such compartmentalization leads to successful 'divide and conquer' tactics used by those who don't care about long-term costs.
[/soapbox]
KarmaInferno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNgNBsCI4EA

-k
Fatum
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Sep 19 2014, 09:59 PM) *
[soapbox]
This is a fundamental flaw in our complex society. Engineers don't know what sociologists do, and vice versa. Such compartmentalization leads to successful 'divide and conquer' tactics used by those who don't care about long-term costs.
[/soapbox]
Well that's this thing called specialization. You can encounter it in runner troupes, too :ь
pbangarth
QUOTE (Fatum @ Sep 19 2014, 07:16 PM) *
Well that's this thing called specialization. You can encounter it in runner troupes, too :ь

That's true. However, runner troupes cooperate and plan together to use their multifariate skills.

A researcher who spends his life in a lab figuring out "How can I?" misses the question "Should I?"

Similarly, someone who says "That's wrong!" often has no answer to "What else can be done?"

Current experience tells me they often don't talk to each other the way members of runner troupes do.
Fatum
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Sep 20 2014, 10:57 PM) *
A researcher who spends his life in a lab figuring out "How can I?" misses the question "Should I?"
Naturally, because that's not a question science considers. Everything that can be learned must be is a strong underlying motivator.
Rad
Not just that, but pretty much anything can be used for nefarious purposes. It isn't the job of scientists to be nannies for the entire world, looking at every technological breakthrough and going: "No, can't let them have that--they might put it in their mouths use it to spy on people."

The responsibility lies with those who choose to misuse technology, not the ones who developed it--unless they specifically designed it with immoral purposes in mind.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Rad @ Sep 21 2014, 10:34 AM) *
Not just that, but pretty much anything can be used for nefarious purposes. It isn't the job of scientists to be nannies for the entire world, looking at every technological breakthrough and going: "No, can't let them have that--they might put it in their mouths use it to spy on people."

The responsibility lies with those who choose to misuse technology, not the ones who developed it--unless they specifically designed it with immoral purposes in mind.

Oh, God. Here's a debate that can go Troll really fast. Sorry for opening up this can of worms more than it already was. I should have known better and kept my mouth shut.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012